Snakes

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2019, 08:39 AM

I would also watch out for coyotes that roam around The Villages. Be careful with leaving your pets unattended.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I have seen snakes 4 times since we have moved here. The one that scared me the most was I had taken my dogs for a walk. I returned home and there was a very large black snake by my front door. I was never so happy to have a keypad to open my garage door.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

In September my neighbor accidentally walked into his villa backyard when a bobcat was in a tree and was jumping down. The cat was suddenly cornered and my neighbor didn't know what to do but stand there, he said the it climbed the wall in split second. I'm in a fairly populated area near Southern Star Executive and I see small black snakes from time to time and just last week a huge hawk was sitting on my bird bath. I'll find dead doves in my back yard about twice a year, really just a pile of feathers. Then one time I found out why, it was the hawk ripping a dove apart until nothing was left. I wouldn't let a small dog out in a CYV without close supervision. Here's a photo from Village News of a bobcat on top of a villa wall in the Village of Hillsborough. It's good that you asked for advice before going ahead with our plan.

The Villages Florida
Old 12-19-2019, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsenholzi View Post
I had field mice in the garage when I first moved in . They got in through a small hole that wasn’t sealed properly around the garage door. Sealing up the door properly and getting a trap outside the door with bait , Irish spring soap inside the doors killed that. I woul worry about letting out the cat alone in a villa . I had a small snake - not sure what kind in my backyard. I would truly worry more about the hawks as well as the owls . Both can take a cat and will. A hawk came down one day and sat on my wall . Not sure what it was after but it never went down to the ground and eventually flew away but had I Had a small animal I’m sure it would have gone after it .
That hawk was probably Cooper’s hawk? I had one do the same thing. I suspect he was looking for lizards 🦎 or birds 🐦 to ambush.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I have seen snakes 4 times since we have moved here. The one that scared me the most was I had taken my dogs for a walk. I returned home and there was a very large black snake by my front door. I was never so happy to have a keypad to open my garage door.
Black snakes are you’re friends, why you probably don’t see palm rats or mice around.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:56 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

In the 2-1/2 years that we lived here, on the water, the only snake I ever saw was in the Lake Sumter Landing parking lot. We have lots of hawks, owls, herons, alligators, etc. and I guess they take care of the snakes mother natures way. I have also never seen a rat or mouse since living here. We used to have outdoor cats walk along the water's edge, they were usually gone within a couple weeks, same with rabbits, here today and gone tomorrow. Two things I'm glad we don't have besides the snakes are Canada Geese, they make a huge mess and never leave, and chipmunks, fought those little creatures for years and never won a battle.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:03 AM

Coyotes cant get in a walled villa, can they?
Old 12-19-2019, 10:06 AM

I plan to have books and crannies where my cat can hide. This is an amazing shot
Old 12-19-2019, 10:11 AM
Sage
Default Palm Rats

[QUOTE=Topspinmo;1703042]Black snakes are you’re friends, why you probably don’t see palm rats or mice around.[/QU
We are having a problem with Palm Rats eating the screening in our bird cage. My husband put down traps and caught 2. Have not seen any new damage.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I just did a search and found this post from 2015

Topic: Coyote tore out our lanai screen, took cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by su2009

Last night between about 11 p.m. and 5 a.m., a large animal tore through the screen on our lanai and took our young Siamese cat, Timmer. I believe it was probably a coyote, because no other animal here would have been fast and powerful enough to grab Timmer before he could get away and come back in through the cat door to the lanai. I had not realized Timmer was in danger, or I would not have let him go in and out at night through the cat door; I thought he was safe with the screen door shut tight, the lanai and birdcage well screened, and a cat door to escape back into the house if something scared him. We are very sad; he was a beautiful, sweet young cat and we loved him very much.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:24 AM
Sage
Default Canada Gees

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
In the 2-1/2 years that we lived here, on the water, the only snake I ever saw was in the Lake Sumter Landing parking lot. We have lots of hawks, owls, herons, alligators, etc. and I guess they take care of the snakes mother natures way. I have also never seen a rat or mouse since living here. We used to have outdoor cats walk along the water's edge, they were usually gone within a couple weeks, same with rabbits, here today and gone tomorrow. Two things I'm glad we don't have besides the snakes are Canada Geese, they make a huge mess and never leave, and chipmunks, fought those little creatures for years and never won a battle.
The Canada Geese are here. I have seen them on 2 golf courses.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Snakes were a big issue for us when we were trying to decide whether or not to move to The Villages. We have two Black Snakes, Sammy & Pat who patrol several yards around us. They don't want anything to do with you and take off like a shot if you mistakenly come upon them while they are looking for a small snack. I don't believe these black Racers would have any interest in hurting a cat.

If I owned a Cat there is no chance it would be outside on its own. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Good Luck, I hope you got the info you needed throughout this thread.

GE offered to send me a Bag O' Snakes as a joke and I have a real fear of Snakes but not like before. More realistic now. They just wanna do their thing and I wanna let them do it!
Old 12-19-2019, 10:40 AM

And in some areas there are the eagle families. They, too, are predators. If the cat gets out, there are the fox, coyotes and raccoons as well.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,359 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
Coyotes cant get in a walled villa, can they?
Several coyotes have been spotted carrying ladders around TV.

Last edited by Two Bills; 12-19-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
I will say this: You will lose your cat 100% Guaranteed if you let him/her out. Either by escaping or by a predator.

Don't do it.
I agree!! We never even let our dogs stay out in the yard alone.... we still don't. I'm even nervous to leave our jack russell out in the birdcage alone. There's a large pond in our backyard and there's a lot of birds. Hawks, bald eagles (that I used to like...), herons, owls, nice to look at but they can do harm.
Closed Thread

Tags
snakes, walled, mice, hear, killing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.