Snakes

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2019, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

In her backyard if it is walled in who would know? Unless they climb over her wall. She could make a nice looking bird cage type cat run big enough to let her sit under it herself, plant some lovely bushes around it for pleasant viewing. For the sprinklers to work on the grass in the cat run, have the same type of top as sides. Custom designed, could be lovely. A garden for the cat.

Last edited by Velvet; 12-20-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You don't need ideas to protect from flying critters. Just keep the cat inside, problem solved. You can even leash-train it so you can take it for walks; I know a couple of people who've done that with their cats.

A door can keep your cat in.

Also - I speak on my own behalf but I need to remind you that when you hit the "reply" button and don't use the "quote" button, no one knows who you are responding to, or what you're responding to.

You have several posts in a row, one that ways "aw, sad." Another one said that someone's remark was snarky. Having to look over several pages of posts just to find out what one post is talking about - is not fun. That's not snark. It's my opinion, and it doubles as a helpful suggestion. Use the quote button, unless you reference the poster by name, post number, or tell us in words who/what you're responding to.

Thanks for the tip. I think I have corrected this.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I don't own a cat, never did. But if the area was so dangerous that you can guarantee your cat would be taken by predators how come there are so many feral cats? I am always amazed that just because something may happen it gets elevated into it will happen.
Most pet owners do allow their pets to be outside. Certainly nearly all dog owners do and the walled yards are specifically marketed to those pet owners. And somehow most of those little fluffy dogs live a full life and are not grabbed by hawks or eagles or dragons or snakes.

A simple google search finds that reports of birds killing cats are very rare. A bald eagle can only lift about 10 pounds. A hawk can lift less weight. Both birds sometimes will eat carrion or take it back to a nest to feed a baby. A hawk is limited to a maximum of lifting its own weight. And the largest hawks are four pounds.

So any cat over 4 pounds is safe from hawk kitnapping and 10 pounds from eagles. Eagles greatly prefer to not eat red meat and there are plenty of fish here for them, and very few eagles. Hawks can choose to eat at a kill site. Read up on the real risk of your pet from a raptor. For all the warnings posted here, I don't see anyone who posted that there cat or dog was taken or that they know of anyone who experienced this certain fate. An animal disappearing does not equal an animal killed by a hawk or eagle or gator.

I would be very interested in seeing a photo posted of the reported nest filled with animal tags. A goggle search for dog tags in eagle nests has no photos, just "a friend told a friend that someone once saw..."

There are stories of all kinds of things being found in eagle nests including bras and baby toys.
Very informative. Thank you.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Make a cat run, like a dog run, with prey resistant screen on all sides and top. Can be as large as you want.
Now we're talking! Who would make something like this and, like someone else asked, is something like this allowed?
Old 12-20-2019, 07:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
Now we're talking! Who would make something like this and, like someone else asked, is something like this allowed?
You can build it yourself. See here for some ideas and plans that can be downloaded (they're a Seattle-based company so they wouldn't be able to do the building for you, you either DIY or hire a general contractor):

All About Catios & Cat Enclosures - Catio Spaces
Old 12-20-2019, 07:41 PM

Just don’t act surprised when someone mentions it to the ARC and they make you remove it.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:54 PM
Sage

Check with ARC first, of course that’s always the first step. But why would they have a problem in a fenced courtyard within your property limit if it was not too high or visible to outsiders?
They gave their blessing to the monster garage and that was visible to everybody.

Last edited by Velvet; 12-20-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:05 AM

Last Spring I was walking past The Lighthouse restaurant one morning when a mama rat followed by three baby rats scuttled out from the underbrush onto the sidewalk and then quickly scuttled back. A few moments later a black snake slithered out and then slithered in after them. Nature!
Old 12-21-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Check with ARC first, of course that’s always the first step. But why would they have a problem in a fenced courtyard within your property limit if it was not too high or visible to outsiders?
They gave their blessing to the monster garage and that was visible to everybody.
Do you think the ARC would have a problem with neutral colored netting, as long as neighbors couldnt see it?
Old 12-21-2019, 09:26 AM
Sage

Best to ask, ARC has been cooperative and reasonable in the past, in my opinion, but the deed restrictions that come with the property indicate what they can do. ARC Phone: 352-751-3912.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:05 PM

I have tried an invisible fence at another house I owned in the past. At the time I had 2 little dogs and a couple of cats...The invisible fence worked fine for the dogs, but not the cats! Plus the cats can jump outside that field of electronics. The cats totally freaked out and were traumatized with those electronic collars on.. I tried a "cat jacket" over here in TV on my cats figuring I would let them hang outside with me on my patio and put them on a cable so they could roam around while I was there to watch them..One cat did fine with the cat Jacket...The other one acted like an o'possum with it on and would not stand up at all wearing it. I think the younger the cat is the better they adjust. Another thought of mine was to try to get approval for a new product known as a "Catio"...Basically a fenced in sanctuary patio (kinda like a chicken coup)...Whatever you do...good luck to you with all that!
Old 12-21-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daspiva View Post
I have tried an invisible fence at another house I owned in the past. At the time I had 2 little dogs and a couple of cats...The invisible fence worked fine for the dogs, but not the cats! Plus the cats can jump outside that field of electronics. The cats totally freaked out and were traumatized with those electronic collars on.. I tried a "cat jacket" over here in TV on my cats figuring I would let them hang outside with me on my patio and put them on a cable so they could roam around while I was there to watch them..One cat did fine with the cat Jacket...The other one acted like an o'possum with it on and would not stand up at all wearing it. I think the younger the cat is the better they adjust. Another thought of mine was to try to get approval for a new product known as a "Catio"...Basically a fenced in sanctuary patio (kinda like a chicken coup)...Whatever you do...good luck to you with all that!
Wow, This seems an impossible task. If you could, PM me on what the ARC says about the catio. Even building one of the catios posted above, I would think you would need very heavy wiring to make sure a bobcat couldnt tear into it.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Best to ask, ARC has been cooperative and reasonable in the past, in my opinion, but the deed restrictions that come with the property indicate what they can do. ARC Phone: 352-751-3912.
So I probably need to have a property in mind before even talking to them?
Old 12-22-2019, 09:35 AM

Depending on the size and age of a cat, a walled villa may be very effective. Unless you have trees that are near a wall, not many cats can leap 4-5 feet (the height of many of the walls). If your cat did get out I would think neighbors are a far greater threat to a cat than any natural predator. Back in the day we had an indoor/outdoor cat that shared the back yard with hawks, eagles, raccoons and numerous other creatures and the only trouble we ever experienced was from folks worrying about the safety of our cat (it died a natural death at 14+ years).

We have lots of rabbits and an occasional opossum in our walled courtyard villa here in The Villages. Coupled with the anoles our dogs have a great time sniffing and chasing critters and unfortunately chowing down on rabbit droppings. The rabbits and opossums are active at night chomping away on plants so it would be great to have something that kept them at bay. We randomly see a few smaller snakes but we don't live anywhere near a preserve which I would expect is where the real action is.

Good luck with your efforts. I hope it works out for you.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
Depending on the size and age of a cat, a walled villa may be very effective. Unless you have trees that are near a wall, not many cats can leap 4-5 feet (the height of many of the walls). If your cat did get out I would think neighbors are a far greater threat to a cat than any natural predator. Back in the day we had an indoor/outdoor cat that shared the back yard with hawks, eagles, raccoons and numerous other creatures and the only trouble we ever experienced was from folks worrying about the safety of our cat (it died a natural death at 14+ years).

We have lots of rabbits and an occasional opossum in our walled courtyard villa here in The Villages. Coupled with the anoles our dogs have a great time sniffing and chasing critters and unfortunately chowing down on rabbit droppings. The rabbits and opossums are active at night chomping away on plants so it would be great to have something that kept them at bay. We randomly see a few smaller snakes but we don't live anywhere near a preserve which I would expect is where the real action is.

Good luck with your efforts. I hope it works out for you.

Thank you! It sounds like you are really enjoying your villa! Ohhhh I was hoping the walls were at least 6 feet tall....
Closed Thread

Tags
snakes, walled, mice, hear, killing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.