Snakes in the garage

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Default Snakes in the garage

I was just reading the thread about screens for your garage and someone said, "snakes in your garage are just a fact of life." It got me to wondering.

Just how common is it to get snakes into your garage, or anywhere else you might be around the house? Does it happen more near water or wildlife areas? Are there areas to live to avoid them?

I believe Florida is the only state in the nation with all four posionous types of snakes. So for those of you who have reptilian visitors, how often are they posionous and do you know any who has been injured or their pets injured.

Thanks. (If you cannot tell, I hate snakes.) And I will personally bite the first person who tells me they are more afraid of me than I am of them.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have NEVER seen a snake here in five years and I am danged hoping it continues just that way.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 PM

Gracie, do you live near a water feature or wild area?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
Gracie, do you live near a water feature or wild area?
Laurel Valley is a small village of 53 homes on 466 backed on two sides by Palmer golf course and in the back by a large wetland area.

Helene said she saw a small snake slither across the front sidewalk one day on her way to pick up the mail.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,356 Times in 2,392 Posts

I chased the second one, this fall, from my garage just today. Not sure what species it was but................it was mad when the broom moved it out. Didn't kill it because I need a skeeter/bug eater.
Live about 100 yds from wetland.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Sage

I live in Caroline and I have never seen a live snake in my yard.....however I have seen their shed skins. Traveling over the landscape rocks in the planting areas around the house probably helps them shed their old "skins." When we had our house painted a few years ago, the painter told us he removed three snakes as he was working. He just lifted them up with his painting pole and placed them in some landscaping along the cart path. None of the snakes in the yard were poisonous, but still, I stay away from them. In this state one must remember this saying....Never put your hands where you eyes can't see. Actually we lived by that motto in CA, too....lots of rattlesnakes. Honestly I'm more concerned with anoles coming in the house...the little beasties enjoy the warmth when it's chilly outside. Problem is, they can't seem to find their way back out. I've found a few crenated ones in the house...poor things. Still, the garage door screens will keep creatures from using your house as a hang out.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

We moved into a new CYV in Tamarind Grove near Southern Star Executive about 18 months ago. We have to do the laundry in the garage, so I was already considering a screen for keeping the garage cooler. However, two months after we moved in, one of my neighbors found a rattlesnake in his garage. Since Southern Star has a pond, on Odessa Circle which surrounds our villas an alligator took a stroll across several yards a couple of months later.

I got the screen that slides from side to side. Since I never take out my cart and car at the same time I didn't see any problem have the partial opening. Also horizontal screen is half the price of an electric vertical screen and I often work in my yard, which means I can go in and out through one three foot section and close it behind me. The electric screen you'll end up leaving up while outside working and pests can enter when you're not aware.

The Villages Florida

Old 01-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Sage

John, I really like your screens. Thanks for posting. Who did them?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Sage

The only way you can get snakes in the garage are to have food for them like mice in there. Keep your garage clean and uncluttered and you will not have mice nor snakes.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:18 AM

I live near a large golf course pond (we back up to the golf course) and have never seen a snake. We have the same screens John W has (above post) and in 10 years in TV have never had a critter inside our garage other than a gecko occasionally if I leave the screen open when I take the dog out. Highly recommend these screens with solar white screen to keep garage cooler and private from outside unless you have the garage light on. Just-In-Time does a great job for a very reasonable price.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Default Snakes

Have seen several over the years. They, like us, like shade. Would not be all that concerned unless there is a freezer or refrigerator in the garage. Moth balls usually keeps them away.........Moth balls will kill a pet.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,356 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
The only way you can get snakes in the garage are to have food for them like mice in there. Keep your garage clean and uncluttered and you will not have mice nor snakes.
No food, clean and uncluttered..................still had snake. I think he came looking for a warm place to curl up.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Sage

I have seen a few Eastern Ribbon snakes and Garter snakes in my yard here in The Villages. Small things around 18 inches long. I also do have a resident Black Racer in the vicinity of my air conditioner unit. He is around 5 feet long and a beautiful snake. I was surprised by coming face-to-face (literally) with a Pine snake a couple of months ago while I was picking catapillars off my passion flower vine. I guess he was after the lizards (anoles) who were also after the catapillars.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Sage
Talking I have heard rumors there may be snakes....

The Villages Florida

This is a picture that has been on TOTV before, but fits nicely here....
Old 01-12-2013, 11:51 AM

You know the biggest problem for most of us, beyond the obviously irrational fear, is that other than perhaps a rattlesnake or a coral snake, I wouldn't know one from another.

It's kind of like picking wild mushrooms. It's fine, if you really, really, REALLY know what you're doing....otherwise......

Thanks for the responses. It does sound a bit like further from water is helpful. Of course being far from water here is about like trying to avoid sand in the desert.

Thanks again all.

Dave

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.