Snakes in the House

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2011, 06:56 AM

When I was a young patrolman my worst fear was getting a call involving a snake in some one's house. This was before exterminators, wild life officers, the answer to a snake or gator was to call the police!

My standard answer was (a straight faced) if you want me to go in there and get it, I am going to shoot it and those little guys are hard to hit. Is your home owners insurance up to date? That normally took are of my problem. But the home owner was still looking for a solution to the snake problem.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Is this another person kidding us a bit?

GRACIEGIRL --

Kidding??? Is that directed at me? If it is, I wish it were so. I re-read my post, and I am not sure what would give one that impression.

But to clarify what I thought was obvious: Yes, I was kidding about the snake-induced heart attack. Yes, I was kidding about moving back to Nebraska. But, NO, I was not kidding about the snakes!

A plea for some help on my part -- simple as that. And it would still be appreciated.
Maryland and Nebraska
FEAR the Turtle and Go Big Red
Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

You must have a big enough house to accommodate a few snakes. How much space can they possibly take up?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:31 AM

Any space a snake or mouse takes up in MY house is too much!!!!!

Given the reserve area behind the houses across the street from your house, I can see where snakes would be in the vacinity. Now, you just gotta figure out why they like your house.... Maybe because of the nice person that lives there!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaRon View Post
GRACIEGIRL --

Kidding??? Is that directed at me? If it is, I wish it were so. I re-read my post, and I am not sure what would give one that impression.

But to clarify what I thought was obvious: Yes, I was kidding about the snake-induced heart attack. Yes, I was kidding about moving back to Nebraska. But, NO, I was not kidding about the snakes!

A plea for some help on my part -- simple as that. And it would still be appreciated.
Do you have trees touching or over hanging your roof? Don't see how the snakes could or want to get on the the roof unless there are trees near it.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Gold member

They could probably climb a gutter downspout.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Gold member
Default how to attach

Who can tell us the best way to attach the screening to the vents? And does anyone know who would do this for a reasonable cost? I have to say, this thread really creeps me out, but I don't think it's a joke, Gracie. Eeeuw!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
Who can tell us the best way to attach the screening to the vents? And does anyone know who would do this for a reasonable cost? I have to say, this thread really creeps me out, but I don't think it's a joke, Gracie. Eeeuw!
I was hoping it was a joke. I apologize Nebraska. You didn't have a LOT of posts and every once in awhile someone comes to TOTV and has a little fun with us. I kinda thought you were pulling our legs.

I am sorry.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Veteran member

I consulted my buddy Steve on our way back from the shuttle launch this morning. He is our "TV expert" from living here for many years, and he lives in front of one of the preserves with snakes etc around (and which, nevertheless, he has only rarely confronted anywhere around his house, he says). He says snakes in the house almost for sure came in the same way people do--through the door, when we left it open for a bit while unloading a car, while we were in the garage etc. Soooo, Steve says keep garage and house doors closed and we probably won't have uninvited visitors! He has certainly convinced me to be more careful.

This makes sense to me; when we lived in Kentucky our lot backed up to woods, and we always had to be careful to keep our garage and house doors closed to keep wasps, even raccoons and other critters out - the same goes here! I think it's just that since we live in a more developed area here, not being in a directly wooded area, it is easier to overlook the natural surroundings within which we live.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.

Last edited by Freeda; 05-16-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:17 PM

From another Snake Hater - I was sitting in a lawn chair behind my home a month or so ago, and watched a large (to me) black snake slither up to my house and go up between the vinyl siding and wood construction of the house. This truly got my attention as I hate snakes (not scared of them, just hate them).

I went in the house and did two things - first, I got my 9mm out of storage and ready for use, and second, I got my luggage out and started packing. There isn't room in my home for a snake or any reptile for that matter. New York winters aren't really that bad.

About 2 weeks later, sitting behind my home again, I watched as another black, four foot long slithering slimy creature made its way to my home and as it started to go up to the siding, another black snake stuck its head out from behind the siding and hissed at the "would be intruder". The "intruder" turned and left, probably looking for another home as inviting as mine.

So apparently, I have a problem in that a snake or two, seem to like my home as much as I do. It doesn't help that the wall that the snakes seem to like, are on the bedroom side of the house. Nightmares? Not me...
Old 05-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Gold member

Are you sure you don't work for Lake Weir?
Old 05-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Snakes in the House

I am only afraid of four kinds of snakes big ones, little ones, alive ones and dead ones...Now does somebody have the name of a contractor that will screen my roof vents becuase I have two queen palms close to my house that can act as a bridge for unwanted critters...thanks
Old 05-16-2011, 03:09 PM

So Chief X - are you near a preserve as well?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Veteran member
Exclamation

Warning: only 2 pets allowed per residence!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Gold member

I had a problem with squirrels in my attic a few years ago. We found a place that specialized in geting rid of critters in your house. Here is a link to the place we used in NC. http://triangle.crittercontrol.com/

Hoepfully, you can find someone offering a similar service there. They will inspect your home and determine where they are getting in and seal it off in addition to getting rid of the snakes. Don't let them hang out and start multiplying, you wil be looking for a new house !
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.