Snakes in the House

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oot View Post
So Chief X - are you near a preserve as well?
No, I'm in El Cortez. The only thing around me is older people and bad drivers...oh, and a few snakes so it seems.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Snakes

I don't know how big your snakes are but. I recently read an artical about someone bringing there plants inside for the winter and didn't check for critters beforehand. After the nice warmth of the house it seems the snakes left the plants to go exploring. Just an option.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 AM

Just another war story, I am a retired plumbing contractor, and we got a call of a toilet leaking on the floor, we checked it 3 times and couldn`t find anything wrong, come to find out the water on the floor was caused by rats using the toilet as a way to get into the house, we installed a check valve on the drain and that solved the problem.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X View Post
From another Snake Hater - I was sitting in a lawn chair behind my home a month or so ago, and watched a large (to me) black snake slither up to my house and go up between the vinyl siding and wood construction of the house. This truly got my attention as I hate snakes (not scared of them, just hate them).

I went in the house and did two things - first, I got my 9mm out of storage and ready for use, and second, I got my luggage out and started packing. There isn't room in my home for a snake or any reptile for that matter. New York winters aren't really that bad.

About 2 weeks later, sitting behind my home again, I watched as another black, four foot long slithering slimy creature made its way to my home and as it started to go up to the siding, another black snake stuck its head out from behind the siding and hissed at the "would be intruder". The "intruder" turned and left, probably looking for another home as inviting as mine.

So apparently, I have a problem in that a snake or two, seem to like my home as much as I do. It doesn't help that the wall that the snakes seem to like, are on the bedroom side of the house. Nightmares? Not me...
UmmmmI would be having serious nightmares....I've been wondering the benifits of stucco over vinyl and this for me is definitely a BIG one! I really do want to come to TV, but not enough to share my home with snakes!
Old 05-17-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
I don't know how big your snakes are but. I recently read an artical about someone bringing there plants inside for the winter and didn't check for critters beforehand. After the nice warmth of the house it seems the snakes left the plants to go exploring. Just an option.
The Villages Florida
Old 05-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Sage
Default Oh, this isn't the political thread, is it?

I read the title of this thread and thought it was about some members of Congress.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
I read the title of this thread and thought it was about some members of Congress.
The Villages Florida No, that would have been "Snakes in the Senate!" The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

There was a similar thread when we were considering buying three years ago.

Not about snakes in the house but snakes in the grass, bushes, trees and I will never, ever forget that one funny guy said something about snakes in the toilet. I had the worst time lowering myself to the throne for weeks!

BUT....Momesu....there are thousands of us that post and read here and snakes in the house would be mentioned, believe me, if it happened frequently.

This is the first time I have read about snakes in the house. Those gekkos do sneak in from time to time, people say that. In three years we have found one gekko and we leave our sliders open in nice weather.

I understand your feelings. It is not a big problem, believe me.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-18-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Not about snakes in the house but snakes in the grass, bushes, trees and I will never, ever forget that one funny guy said something about snakes in the toilet. I had the worst time lowering myself to the throne for weeks!

BUT....Momesu....there are thousands of us that post and read here and snakes in the house would be mentioned, believe me, if it happened frequently.

This is the first time I have read about snakes in the house. Those gekkos do sneak in from time to time, people say that. In three years we have found one gekko and we leave out sliders open in nice weather.

Whew.........especially if one is going to live near the water. Snakes....and swimdawgs do not get along.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

This is the first time I have read about snakes in the house. Those gekkos do sneak in from time to time, people say that. In three years we have found one gekko and we leave our sliders open in nice weather.

Agreeing with swimdawg.....a big.... The Villages Florida for the reassurance. I can live without being on a lot by any of the ponds and am tired of tall trees in my yard so don;t need anything snakes can drop from. (My grandfather once had a snake drop out of a tree and go down the back of his shirt while on vacation in FL....took me 5 years to get up the courage to sit under a tree in my parents back yard there.) I can handle geckos and the like. I can even do small spiders but snakes in my house would be a deal killer for me. I would be terrified to step foot into it ever again.....I know I am a big sissy. I willingly admit it!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:40 AM

Snakes, OMG! Screening going up asap!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Default snake deterrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post
Snakes in the house? Ahhhh......can you hear me scream?
Perhaps Agnes could offer some advice?
OMG!!!! Must have been really scary!!! We've lived in TV's for about 5 years and during that time, and we've seen snakes around the house during summer months. We don't live close to a pond which might explain why we've not seen many more, but we do have a very busy neighbor who spends at least 7-8 hours a day gardening. He replaces mulch and moves plants around seemingly every couple of weeks. We believe this might be part of what stirs the snakes up and cause them to move on until things are settled again.

Having said that, I have found that spreading moth balls around the perimeter of the house and landscaping area has produced great results. I can report that I haven't seen a snake in the yard over the past few years, but have seen them next door. It seems that the smell of moth balls is a real deterrent. Anyway, it works for me - cuz - I hate em!!!!

I might also suggest that you keep your garage door either closed or fitted with a screen if you keep it open to allow a nice tropical breeze to flow through the house. I can't believe how many homes I see with the garage and kitchen doors open most of the day. Don't forget where you are - the TROPICS. This is fertile grounds for critters of all sort.

Go by some moth balls and give them a try!!!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
But, but there's frogs all over TV... and they proudly admit it!
Maybe the snakes are chasing the frogs
Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 AM

Roof snakes, eh? Now if you could only find a roof mongoose, you'd be all set.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

I'm a native Floridian and grew up with all sorts of reptiles. Had snakes as pets as a youngster (my wife is not a fan so those days are over!) and see them in my yard here in TV regularly. If you see a snake in your home and you need someone to remove it, PM me and I will remove it and relocate it free of charge. I would much rather remove it and take it to an area outside of TV than have someone kill it.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.