Snakes in the House

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2012, 09:10 AM

When we lived in San Antonio, I walked into our front room and there was a snake on the floor (he wasn't real big)....didn't know what to do and didn't want him to get away so I ran and grabbed my Dyson vacuum, pulled out the hose and sucked him right into the canister. Removed the canister and sat it on the porch, luckily for me the exterminator came that day and removed him from the canister. This was also my answer when I spied a couple of scorpions walking across the floor.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Platinum member

Do they return? Oh no

Do wild snakes have territories that if taken out of would return? - Yahoo! Answers
Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Default Mothballs!

Always enjoys reading threads from city folks. I killed a 3" copperhead in Santiago about 15 months ago. If you don't want or can't shoot the things, get an small ax, and chop them up. Mothballs will keep them away; however, must replace the mothballs often. In addition, mothballs, if eaten, will kill your dog or cat.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaZen View Post
Always enjoys reading threads from city folks. I killed a 3" copperhead in Santiago about 15 months ago. If you don't want or can't shoot the things, get an small ax, and chop them up. Mothballs will keep them away; however, must replace the mothballs often. In addition, mothballs, if eaten, will kill your dog or cat.
Trying to sell my country home in Virginia so I won't say much except....
https://www.google.com/search?q=snak...w=1366&bih=667

Posh = Pistols Or Shotguns Handy
Old 03-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I don't like snakes at all. Neighbors in our old neighborhood in Hadley have seen snakes. They say it was because a couple of neighbors had bird feeders that attracted small rodents and they are snake food. I also remember that someone found a snake in their pool.

Those snakes seen were outside. No snakes in new village, yet. The disturbance of all of the natural habitat takes a while for even geckos and birds to return.

The only time I personlly have heard from anyone about snakes inside the house was the post made by the OP of this thread which was started in May of last year.

Has anyone else had this problem? Did putting screens on the vents stop your snake sitings, Ron???

I don't like snakes at all. NOPE. I hate 'em.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Location: Little Rock AR - San Diego CA - Memphis TN - Ft Myers FL - Macon GA, Roswell GA - TV St Charles

Samual L. Jackson did a nice job of eliminating a lot of reptiles on "Snakes on A Plane". Maybe he could use a little wearm weather right now.....
Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 AM

I use moth balls and snakes away from home depot or lowes. Granules are spread aroung the house and I have not seen any snakes since.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Default Snakes!

I was talking with a woman here in Woodstock last weekend who worked for a plumber. Somehow the topic of snakes in the commode came up
in the conversation. One customer had a problem with this and the snakes were getting in through a sewer clean-out pipe in the yard which was missing it's cap. I don't know if you have these in TV but I would think so. It's probably a good idea to locate these and know where they are and one could check the security of the cap at the same time.

While snakes in the house are never acceptable, keep in mind that nonvenemous snakes in the yard are your friend. They control populations of other critters that you really don't want around either. (Think roof rats in palm trees.) Learn to recognize the difference between good and bad and you'll be more comfortable. Just my $.02 for the day.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Lowes, Home depot, Ace hardware all have a product called "Snake Away". It is a granulated product that smells very much like moth balls but does have other ingredients.

Very easy to use just sprinkle where you do not want snakes to cross. We had a lake home in the woods...lottsa snakes at different times of the year. I created a complete circle around the house....no snakes.

The stuff does work. Petting balled up steel wool in openings helps keep them (and other critters) out as well.

btk
Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Sage

We have a two foot long black snake that hangs around our planted areas - we leave him alone and he provides free pest control services.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Gold member

The comment about the steel wool brought back a memory. Years ago, my dad came home from work to find my step mom under the kitchen sink, carefully stuffing steel wool around the pipes. Apparently, she had seen a mouse and was imitating what she had seen her father do when mice came in from the crawl space. After watching her for a while, my dad then asked "Now how are you going to keep them from coming up the basement steps?"
Old 03-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquick View Post
Maybe the snakes are chasing the frogs
The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"

Last edited by skyguy79; 03-07-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Fix broken graphic
Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Gold member

I have heard all my life that cottonseed meal will keep snakes away but have no experience with it. Also it's good fertilizer.
In reality, they're different!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
I'm a native Floridian and grew up with all sorts of reptiles. Had snakes as pets as a youngster (my wife is not a fan so those days are over!) and see them in my yard here in TV regularly. If you see a snake in your home and you need someone to remove it, PM me and I will remove it and relocate it free of charge. I would much rather remove it and take it to an area outside of TV than have someone kill it.
I will keep you in mind. Thats if my mother doesnt get to one first. I still remember her taking out a rattle snake in texas with a hoe of all things!! You guys have just given me the willies...thanks.....outside snakes fine....inside snakes...will be moving on!! Bad enough we used to have little scorpions in our house in texas that matched the carpet...you only knew they were there when the rug moved...LOL.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Gold member
Default Snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Is this another person kidding us a bit?
Makes my outside Gophers seem trivial Gracie!

Snakes in the home eeeehhhgads!

Time to have a pet mongoose?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.