Snakes in the House

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Location: Philadelphia,PA - Mt Laurel, NJ, Village of Fernandina
Default SSSSS-Snakes/Stucco or Siding

I am terrified of most bugs but there is no word to describe how I feel about snakes. I can hardly type the word without getting the chills.

I have for so long assumed I'd be buying a patio villa when I retire, but now that I'm reading about "them" crawling into the vinyl siding, would buying a courtyard villa with stucco insure that I'd never see a snake in or on my house.

I know I'd always keep all doors closed and be careful coming in and out, not just to avoid "them", but anything not welcome. Should I rethink my decision?
Old 03-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Sage

If the possibility of a snake would cause you so much panic, yes, re-think your decision and think of a climate where you will not have snakes as a possibility - like Alaska.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
If the possibility of a snake would cause you so much panic, yes, re-think your decision and think of a climate where you will not have snakes as a possibility - like Alaska.
That was helpful
Old 03-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Single Track View Post
I am terrified of most bugs but there is no word to describe how I feel about snakes. I can hardly type the word without getting the chills.

I have for so long assumed I'd be buying a patio villa when I retire, but now that I'm reading about "them" crawling into the vinyl siding, would buying a courtyard villa with stucco insure that I'd never see a snake in or on my house.

I know I'd always keep all doors closed and be careful coming in and out, not just to avoid "them", but anything not welcome. Should I rethink my decision?
Don't re-think your decision, just take the same precautions you would take anywhere else. I see from your post you are from the northeast. The snakes are no worse here than they are in many areas in the northeast (we have a summer place in rural NY and I've seen more snakes there than I have here in TV). Don't leave your garage or other doors open, check your screens and you have nothing to worry about.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 03-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Location: Philadelphia,PA - Mt Laurel, NJ, Village of Fernandina
Default Yikes - Grizzlies

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Buggyone,
Did I neglect to mention that I don't care for grizzlies either. Thanks for that warm and fuzzy welcoming feel.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Sage

You stated the thought of snakes made you panic. There is a slight possibility you will see a snake here in Florida. You asked if you should re-think. I merely answered. I don't know of any state that doesn't have snakes besides Alaska.

No matter what kind of a house you buy here, there will always a a slight possibility of having a snake in the garage or lanai. You will have a gecko from time to time for sure.

I have a designer home. I have had a couple of small snakes in the garage but no panic.

Just realize the snake is more terrified of you than you of it. Chances are almost certain you will not see a venomous snake - but also is a possibility.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Email Reported As Spam

[QUOTE=buggyone;468007]You stated the thought of snakes made you panic. There is a slight possibility you will see a snake here in Florida. You asked if you should re-think. I merely answered. I don't know of any state that doesn't have snakes besides Alaska.

No matter what kind of a house you buy here, there will always a a slight possibility of having a snake in the garage or lanai. You will have a gecko from time to time for sure.

I have a designer home. I have had a couple of small snakes in the garage but no panic.

Just realize the snake is more terrified of you than you of it. Chances are almost certain you will not see a venomous snake - but also is a possibility.[/QUOTE
]

Buggyone: You wannta bet but I am only afraid of four kind: big little alive dead
Old 03-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Gold member

Hawaii is also snake free (except for a few in the Zoo).
Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
Do you have trees touching or over hanging your roof? Don't see how the snakes could or want to get on the the roof unless there are trees near it.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Sage
Default Get on with it

Put you big girl/boy panties on and get on down here!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
That made me chuckle .
Old 03-19-2012, 05:07 PM

Some people are terrified of snakes. It is not funny to them. To have a snake in your home would be very disconcerting.

In the past, I have used stickboards in and around the garage. Put them by the door and on the side by the walls....that is where they will go if they get in.

Use the Snake Away...it works and is not as strong as moth balls.

Understand it is mating season for the Black Runners. They are active at the moment.

And most of all have a back up plan if you encounter a snake...will you use a broom...or a shovel to kill it (make sure it is a flat edge)...or call the police...they will come and assist. Also, if you do corner a snake use your big garbage can to scoot it into it then put the lid on...or just put it on it and wait for help.

Most people here in TV never encounter a snake....but those that do always have a story about them.

And most of all keep your lanai door closed, garage door closed and your front door closed.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Gold member
Default Opps!

Quote:
Boy Panties? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wow ! Isn't that suppose to be put on your Man Pants. If a guy puts on his Man Panties that gets into another whole discusssion.

The PC Police Will be soon alerted!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
Boy Panties? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wow ! Isn't that suppose to be put on your Man Pants. If a guy puts on his Man Panties that gets into another whole discusssion.

The PC Police Will be soon alerted!
Ah....I thought it was cute. I always hear people say put on your big girl panties so I thought I'd just include the guys in that statement. I should have said "men, put on your tool belt and get down here" and " ladies, put on your big girl panties"......
Old 03-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Ah....I thought it was cute. I always hear people say put on your big girl panties so I thought I'd just include the guys in that statement. I should have said "men, put on your tool belt and get down here" and " ladies, put on your big girl panties"......
Boy howdy.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.