Snakes in the House

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2012, 10:51 AM
TERPMAN7375
Default Snakes

Keep your doors closed, including garage
I have lived here in the Villages for sixteen years and have never seen a snake in my house
Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERPMAN7375 View Post
Keep your doors closed, including garage
I have lived here in the Villages for sixteen years and have never seen a snake in my house
I want to buy in your village. Would you share that?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Default Snake in the Lanai

Oh No...long black snake in my lanai today! Hubby tried to direct it out the door but it slithered quickly up the vinyl siding. Now we have to keep the patio door into the house closed until we can corner the critter and remove him peacefully (or lethally if required). Kinda creeps me out but I believe he's probably harmless even though I think he's kind of gross! We've been here 2 years and this is the first snake I've seen and hopefully he'll be the last to want to reside on our patio. For those inquiring minds, we do not live by a pond but we are a within walking distance from a preserve area.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonlovers View Post
Oh No...long black snake in my lanai today! Hubby tried to direct it out the door but it slithered quickly up the vinyl siding. Now we have to keep the patio door into the house closed until we can corner the critter and remove him peacefully (or lethally if required). Kinda creeps me out but I believe he's probably harmless even though I think he's kind of gross! We've been here 2 years and this is the first snake I've seen and hopefully he'll be the last to want to reside on our patio. For those inquiring minds, we do not live by a pond but we are a within walking distance from a preserve area.
It's mating season. They get to slipping around more in the Spring.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Put screens over the plumbing vents on your roof. This will stop snakes and other creepy-crawlies from entering your house through the sinks, showers and toilets.
OMG...Now I've got to look into the toilet before I sit??? If I feel something on my butt, it'll probably be mental right? Oh geeeeeeez...I wish I hadn't read this.

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Gold member
Default Trutech

TruTech came out and got rid of my gopher problems.

When I asked him about snakes he said has company also help get rid of critters you don't want to be living with.

I left his business card back in TV at our home.

352-692-5559

They are not inexpensive but neither is a heart attack.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Veteran member

I volunteered earlier in this thread. I'll be happy to remove any snake from someone's home--no charge. Just PM me. Gophers are another story...call the experts!

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 03-16-2012, 06:53 AM
Gold member
Talking

I put those sticker boards down in garage, to catch critters (like snakes) and it works pretty good. I have caught two snakes that way (one big). Plenty of spiders too. They are immobilized, as they get stuck all over. I also use the moth balls around house, especially in the bushes. They usually last a couple of weeks. Don't need many, just a few in each bush etc, and close to garage. The suggestion about not having any growth close to house is very important. Close meaning a few feet away, so they can't jump or stretch. I also have seen the small snakes run up inside the siding!! (Goes to show you they can climb) This time of year, they look for birds eggs in trees. To me a snake is a snake, regardless if it's poisonous or not!! Oh yes, theres also "Snake Away" a powder or granuals. Happy Snake hunting!!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:07 AM

I am with you as I too don't like snakes. They have to be getting in from somewhere. I would check your house good to see if you can find how they are getting in. At least they are not poisonous.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Sage

Just a personal note here that comes from being a volunteer at a nature center:
There is not such a thing as a poisonous snake. A poison has to be ingested by eating it to be harmful. Some snakes (rattlesnakes, etc) are venomous. A venom is injected (such as by fangs).

Snakes do a lot more good than harm. The glue boards are a cruel thing. While you do not want geckoes or snakes in your garage, do not use glue boards - sprinkle moth flakes around the edges of the garage or the Snake Away granules.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Gold member

I have found that the most frequent entry by snakes into the home is through an open garage door or a lanai or cage door that has inadequate seal along the bottom. Once inside the snake wants to get out as badly as you want it to leave if there is nothing for it to feed on.

Please don't kill them. Take up offers in this thread to remove them. They do more good than we imagine for insect and pest control. This is Florida and the sankes were here long before the Villages.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Sage

Thanks for the good post, Hancle. I really hate to see people try to kill every snake they see.

My volunteer job at the nature center had me holding them and giving demonstrations to schoolkids on reptiles. Only accident I had with the snakes was one time I was not paying close attention (talking when I should have been looking) when I was feeding a dead (but warm) mouse to a king snake. The king snake (about 5 feet long but harmless) swallowed the mouse and before I realized it, the snake had half my thumb in it's mouth and was swallowing as fast as possible. Now, a snake's teeth curve backwards so prey (and thumbs) cannot pull free. I had to have help actually opening the snake's mouth so I could get my thumb out without tearing it open or hurting the snake. The kids thought it was all part of the demonstration!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Gold member

I use moth balls around the house as a first line of defense.Keep bushes away from the home and keep trimmed.Use sticky sticks in the garage,caught a few that way.They are usually dead if left on for a few days. I checked daily.Believe.only good snake is a dead snake.Sorry thats how we feel.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
(to keep snakes away) sprinkle moth flakes around the edges of the garage or the Snake Away granules.
Are they harmful if ingested by dogs?
Old 03-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Gold member
Default Yes dangerous to dogs!

We had our oriental rugs cleaned and stored. In Feb we transported them down. We then opened them up as they were wrapped in plastic and moth flaked..

OMG we darn near fumigated the neighbors.

I don't think we will have any snakes or vistirs for awhile. That smell keeps everything away.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.