Sneaky Tax Appraiser Is Watching Us!

Closed Thread
Old 11-09-2019, 02:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
This is turning into something like the lady with the clipboard......lookin for deed violations.
LMAO; that also tickled me:
Old 11-09-2019, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
I caught them taking pictures of my Neighbors Property.
It is bad enough are Property taxes went up by 25 % in Sumter County But now they are playing Peek-A-Boo around our homes.
The Sumter County emblem on the side of a Chevy Impala is white with small Red lettering to blend in with the car.
There Windows are tinted better than 75% so you can't see who's inside the car (Drivers and Passenger Windows) which the Florida State Law i believe should be no more than 5%.
Why are they Hiding and acting so covert.
I caught them taking pictures of my Neighbors Property's.
I don't like there sneaky tactics and i believe they are not only putting themselves but the public in danger. If the Sumter County Assessors office is willing to break D.O.T. State and Federal Laws what other laws are they willing to break.
Local Government and big brother is watching you!
I don't see anything wrong with a tax appraiser driving by and taking photos of a house. It's their job to estimate the value of houses for tax calculations. And Florida law allows window tinting as long as 28 percent of the light can come through the window.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with a tax appraiser driving by and taking photos of a house. It's their job to estimate the value of houses for tax calculations. And Florida law allows window tinting as long as 28 percent of the light can come through the window.
i don't either.
however it is the entrance of property's without invitation and looking in the windows is a invasion of privacy that i have a problem with.
Also better than 75% tinted windows and not properly marked cars is my complaint.
Has anyone looked at the assessments on Mr. Hooten's property, It doesn't look like he plays by the same rules as he makes us play by.
Better than 4 of his property's are not tax properly either, JMHO FYI for everyone.
Fair taxation needs to be across the board for everyone.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
This is turning into something like the lady with the clipboard......lookin for deed violations.
No.... I think it's more like checking behind the shower curtain each time you come home for a murderer.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:19 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

I would be more concerned if I found some unknown person or persons going through my trash. Just because someone is paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get him!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-10-2019, 08:16 AM
Sage

The psa from the head sheriff is...if something doesn't look right, then call them. Have you spoken to your neighbor as well? Maybe what you observed was all on the up and up. Someone else here said that rather than posting on social media to perhaps go to someone in authority for your answers and I concur.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
The psa from the head sheriff is...if something doesn't look right, then call them. Have you spoken to your neighbor as well? Maybe what you observed was all on the up and up. Someone else here said that rather than posting on social media to perhaps go to someone in authority for your answers and I concur.
Thank You for your input but it was checked out and indeed it was the Sumter County Assessor vehicle.
My Point is the sneaky way they acquire there information by heavily darked windows and not properly identified vehicles.
I myself do not like Government watching everything we do and the improper behavior of government officials that act in the way they do.
The proof is in the pudding. Just search Hooten's property and see his lack of properly taxing of his own property's.
The Villages residents is paying the brunt of the tax Burdens in Sumter County.
I don't know about you but i certainly don't like being Fleeced by local government!
Old 11-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Thank You for your input but it was checked out and indeed it was the Sumter County Assessor vehicle.
My Point is the sneaky way they acquire there information by heavily darked windows and not properly identified vehicles.
I myself do not like Government watching everything we do and the improper behavior of government officials that act in the way they do.
The proof is in the pudding. Just search Hooten's property and see his lack of properly taxing of his own property's.
The Villages residents is paying the brunt of the tax Burdens in Sumter County.
I don't know about you but i certainly don't like being Fleeced by local government!
I don't agree. The Hooten's property is in Bushnell in a rural area. There is a huge difference in prices in available homes in The Villages and outside the Villages. Location is key in pricing of homes everywhere. AND in the appraised value.

I also don't understand your reactions to people just doing their job. Lots of people work for the government.

Found this to be interesting;

What is the difference between assessed value and appraised value? | AccountingCoach

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-10-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't agree. The Hooten's property is in Bushnell in a rural area. There is a huge difference in prices in available homes in The Villages and outside the Villages. Location is key in pricing of homes everywhere. AND in the appraised value.

I also don't understand your reactions to people just doing their job. Lots of people work for the government.
Again for the third time Material Cost, Contractors cost and insurance cost do not change when you leave this area. Hoot*ens home built in 2009 better than 2700 sqft for 100k is prices from the 70"s!
Old 11-10-2019, 09:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Again for the third time Material Cost, Contractors cost and insurance cost do not change when you leave this area. Hoot*ens home built in 2009 better than 2700 sqft for 100k is prices from the 70"s!
I think you are looking at the property that is his office. They own several pieces of property. What I thought to be his home is somewhere in the 300 thousands. Under Robert and Jennifer Hooten.

I don't know this for sure, just looked at the sumterpa.com under Hooten. It could be an owl family.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think you are looking at the property that is his office. They own several pieces of property. What I thought to be his home is somewhere in the 300 thousands. Under Robert and Jennifer Hooten.

I don't know this for sure, just looked at the sumterpa.com under Hooten. It could be an owl family.
No!
I am looking at his home. In 2009 he built better than a 2700 sgft house for 100k.. that is roughly 37.00 a sqft. The average house in the Villages is 150 to 200 a sqft. You couldn't even buy the materials for 35.00 sqft. The math doesn't lie!
Old 11-10-2019, 10:18 AM
Sage

Don't recall being to Bushnell.

Here is what folks are asking for homes from this site.

https://www.bing.com/maps?q=homes+fo...lvar=0&PC=DCTS

The tax appraiser could be corrupt, or he could be the son and grandson of a Baptist minister with a nice wife and child. I don't know him. Do you?
Old 11-10-2019, 10:51 AM

Hopefully the data from the tax appraisal site and the following interpretation will help us understand the situation better.

IMHO the Hooten residence has the parcel ID NA5A008

HOOTEN JOSEPH B & JENNIFER R 4596 CR 311 BUSHNELL
(AG IMPROVED W/ HX) To me this is agricultural land with a house on it
Further details indicate that the house site is 1 acre and the property has an improved pasture of 9.1 acre

The land was purchased for 100,000$ The home was constructed later.

The market value of the improved entire property with house is listed as $346,890
The assessed value is $215,000 (is this the result of having an agricultural assessment?)
Might mean a reduction of about 90,000$ in land value
Is 90% of the land assessed at minimal value?
The Hooten's have taken two homestead exemptions correctly (-$50,000)
So the property is taxed based on net appraisal of &165,000
Using an agricultural assessment is valid if the property meets the criteria. It is used extensively just check what the Villages associated land companies do.

I believe that the Hooten's have used the available property tax rules to their advantage. That is not cheating
Old 11-10-2019, 10:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ton80 View Post
Hopefully the data from the tax appraisal site and the following interpretation will help us understand the situation better.

IMHO the Hooten residence has the parcel ID NA5A008

HOOTEN JOSEPH B & JENNIFER R 4596 CR 311 BUSHNELL
(AG IMPROVED W/ HX) To me this is agricultural land with a house on it
Further details indicate that the house site is 1 acre and the property has an improved pasture of 9.1 acre

The land was purchased for 100,000$ The home was constructed later.

The market value of the improved entire property with house is listed as $346,890
The assessed value is $215,000 (is this the result of having an agricultural assessment?)
Might mean a reduction of about 90,000$ in land value
Is 90% of the land assessed at minimal value?
The Hooten's have taken two homestead exemptions correctly (-$50,000)
So the property is taxed based on net appraisal of &165,000
Using an agricultural assessment is valid if the property meets the criteria. It is used extensively just check what the Villages associated land companies do.

I believe that the Hooten's have used the available property tax rules to their advantage. That is not cheating
I am not sure I agree but it doesn't pass the smell test in my opinion!
After further research it says built in 2009. But lets assume you are correct and purchased the land for 100k and the house was built for 115k. That is less than approximately 40 Dollars a sqft. Still doesn't pass the smell test. Why is the market value in the high 300's but taxed at less than 2/3rd of it's value! Hmmmmm

Last edited by Chellybean; 11-10-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
I am not sure I agree but it doesn't pass the smell test in my opinion!
After further research it says built in 2009. But lets assume you are correct and purchased the land for 100k and the house was built for 115k. That is less than approximately 40 Dollars a sqft. Still doesn't pass the smell test. Why is the market value in the high 300's but taxed at less than 2/3rd of it's value! Hmmmmm
Why don't you ask him?

Tags
sumter, county, break, laws, state

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.