Snow Bird - Vehicle Registration

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2019, 09:17 AM
DAIII
Thumbs up Snow Bird - Vehicle Registration

What's the protocol for being an owner and a snow bird 6/6 (six @TV 6 not) with regard to vehicle registration, specifically are you allowed to register the vehicle in FL using your out of state drivers license or do they make you convert that over to FL also?
I have two vehicles one I use primarily in FL (and will most likely leave at TV) and one vehicle I have for northern use. (I own in two states and have two vehicles but would like to keep my northern state DL.) I know I should call the DMV but thought I'd start here. Thanks Everyone!

Old 06-22-2019, 09:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAIII View Post
What's the protocol for being an owner and a snow bird 6/6 (six @TV 6 not) with regard to vehicle registration, specifically are you allowed to register the vehicle in FL using your out of state drivers license or do they make you convert that over to FL also?
I have two vehicles one I use primarily in FL (and will most likely leave at TV) and one vehicle I have for northern use. (I own in two states and have two vehicles but would like to keep my northern state DL.) I know I should call the DMV but thought I'd start here. Thanks Everyone!

I would ask the DMV to mke sure you get accurate information. May or may not happen on a discussion forum such as this.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

I think this is a catch-22. I agree that you should contact DMV, but even they may not give you the best answer. If you are not going to become a Florida resident, then I don't think you can get a Florida drivers license and, therefore, you cannot register a car in Florida. I would ask other snowbirds what they do. But, I think that most of them who have not become official Florida residents, will maintain their northern state drivers license and car registrations, even if they leave the car in Florida. There are a lot of cars with out-of-state tags being driven around The Villages for months at a time.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,089 Times in 2,230 Posts

I agree with retiredguy, the other thing you will need to consider, if your home state has an inspection requirement, then you will need to bring it back at least once a year, not sure what the insurance company will have to say about this. It might be easier to sell the second car, and get a leased vehicle for Florida. But as mentioned above, i would stop by the County office, in Pinellas plaza (the copper topped building), go in the main entrance, turn right go to the end of the hallway, and ask what your options are.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Here's a link for you. Scroll down to the question and answer section, I'm sure you will find the info you need.

How to Register Your Out Of State Car in Florida – eTags – Vehicle Registration & Title Services Driven By Technology

You can register a vehicle in Florida even if you just have a "vacation" home, I know of 2 snowbirds that have done it, and keep the vehicles here
It's still best to Call DMV to talk to a human.
Steve
Old 06-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

We have a car registered in Florida but have MA drivers licenses. The key is that to register a car in Florida you need Florida insurance and the cars primary place of garage needs to be your Florida home. Also, Florida does not require an annual inspection or charge you an annual excise tax. We drive the car up north to use during the late spring through early fall, but leave it in Florida for about 7 1/2 month of the year.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Here's a link for you. Scroll down to the question and answer section, I'm sure you will find the info you need.

How to Register Your Out Of State Car in Florida – eTags – Vehicle Registration & Title Services Driven By Technology

You can register a vehicle in Florida even if you just have a "vacation" home, I know of 2 snowbirds that have done it, and keep the vehicles here
Steve
Very confusing. The link you provided states: "You can’t register your car in Florida until you’re considered to be a Florida resident".
Old 06-22-2019, 11:03 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Very confusing. The link you provided states: "You can’t register your car in Florida until you’re considered to be a Florida resident".
Yes it is confusing.

"You can’t register your car in Florida until you’re considered to be a Florida resident. You’re considered to be a Florida resident when you’ve done the following:

You’ve placed your children in Florida public schools
You’ve become employed in Florida
You’ve established a Florida living address"

"You've established a Florida living address"
I think that is the key.

Again if you scroll to the question and answer section, it's answered.
Like I said, I know it can be done, I know of two snowbirds that have vehicles registered here and keep the vehicles here.
Steve
Old 06-22-2019, 11:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Yes it is confusing.

"You can’t register your car in Florida until you’re considered to be a Florida resident. You’re considered to be a Florida resident when you’ve done the following:

You’ve placed your children in Florida public schools
You’ve become employed in Florida
You’ve established a Florida living address"

"You've established a Florida living address"
I think that is the key.

Again if you scroll to the question and answer section, it's answered.
Like I said, I know it can be done, I know of two snowbirds that have vehicles registered here and keep the vehicles here.
Steve
Yes, apparently, it can be done. Here is a link that explains getting Florida auto insurance for snowbirds.

Auto insurance for snowbirds | CarInsurance.com

However, it sounds expensive, and I suspect that many snowbirds in The Villages don't do it. But, I think the DMV answer would be that you need to do it to comply with the registration law.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:19 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Out of state registration is possible and is done all the time.
The state of Florida would love to take your money.

A key point is insurance.
Check with your insurance company.
If the auto is housed in and used primarily in Florida, you will probably need Florida insurance.

DO NOT WAIT UNTIL A CLAIM TO FIND OUT INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS. You could be denied.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Out of state registration is possible and is done all the time.
The state of Florida would love to take your money.

A key point is insurance.
Check with your insurance company.
If the auto is housed in and used primarily in Florida, you will probably need Florida insurance.

DO NOT WAIT UNTIL A CLAIM TO FIND OUT INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS. You could be denied.
That sounds great. But, if you are a snowbird and bring 2 cars to Florida for more than 90 days, you are required to register both cars in Florida and to carry Florida auto insurance on them for the entire year. Then, when you go back home, you will need to comply with the same or similar laws in your home state. That is why this is a catch 22. Some people have trouble paying insurance and registration fees once rather than twice.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:24 PM

You can register it in Florida. I bought a new car just for FL and was able to. The dealer took care of everything.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:51 PM

We are a NY primary resident and are about 50/50 between NY and TV. Used to drive back and forth but that got old.

Last year, bought a car in FL. The NY cars stay in NY with NY plates and Insurance. The FL car stays in FL with FL plates and FL insurance. No need to change DL. Dealer took care of everything.

Wife is happy now that we fly between NY and TV.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:16 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,305 Times in 540 Posts
Default License plates

Quote:

Steve
You are spot on Steve. I did it as a resident of Illinois and with an Illinois drivers license. It’s a bit costly that first registration for your car when you come in from another State but Florida has to get $$$ from somewhere...
Old 06-22-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy
We are a NY primary resident and are about 50/50 between NY and TV. Used to drive back and forth but that got old.

Last year, bought a car in FL. The NY cars stay in NY with NY plates and Insurance. The FL car stays in FL with FL plates and FL insurance. No need to change DL. Dealer took care of everything.

Wife is happy now that we fly between NY and TV.
I am a snowbird, I have a FL car with FL tags and FL insurance. It was straight forward, you get the VIN verified, you fill out some forms, you give them a boatload of money, they hand you your tags. No fuss, no hassle.
Closed Thread

Tags
vehicle, northern, state, snow, vehicles

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.