Snow Bird - Vehicle Registration

Snow Bird - Vehicle Registration

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 06-22-2019, 12:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Out of state registration is possible and is done all the time.
The state of Florida would love to take your money.

A key point is insurance.
Check with your insurance company.
If the auto is housed in and used primarily in Florida, you will probably need Florida insurance.

DO NOT WAIT UNTIL A CLAIM TO FIND OUT INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS. You could be denied.
That sounds great. But, if you are a snowbird and bring 2 cars to Florida for more than 90 days, you are required to register both cars in Florida and to carry Florida auto insurance on them for the entire year. Then, when you go back home, you will need to comply with the same or similar laws in your home state. That is why this is a catch 22. Some people have trouble paying insurance and registration fees once rather than twice.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:24 PM

You can register it in Florida. I bought a new car just for FL and was able to. The dealer took care of everything.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2019, 12:51 PM

We are a NY primary resident and are about 50/50 between NY and TV. Used to drive back and forth but that got old.

Last year, bought a car in FL. The NY cars stay in NY with NY plates and Insurance. The FL car stays in FL with FL plates and FL insurance. No need to change DL. Dealer took care of everything.

Wife is happy now that we fly between NY and TV.
License plates
Old 06-22-2019, 02:16 PM
Sage

Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Default License plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Here's a link for you. Scroll down to the question and answer section, I'm sure you will find the info you need.

How to Register Your Out Of State Car in Florida – eTags – Vehicle Registration & Title Services Driven By Technology

You can register a vehicle in Florida even if you just have a "vacation" home, I know of 2 snowbirds that have done it, and keep the vehicles here
It's still best to Call DMV to talk to a human.
Steve
You are spot on Steve. I did it as a resident of Illinois and with an Illinois drivers license. It’s a bit costly that first registration for your car when you come in from another State but Florida has to get $$$ from somewhere...
Old 06-22-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy
We are a NY primary resident and are about 50/50 between NY and TV. Used to drive back and forth but that got old.

Last year, bought a car in FL. The NY cars stay in NY with NY plates and Insurance. The FL car stays in FL with FL plates and FL insurance. No need to change DL. Dealer took care of everything.

Wife is happy now that we fly between NY and TV.
I am a snowbird, I have a FL car with FL tags and FL insurance. It was straight forward, you get the VIN verified, you fill out some forms, you give them a boatload of money, they hand you your tags. No fuss, no hassle.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:52 PM

Thanks everyone! I knew this would be a great place to start! Thanks again!

Tags
vehicle, northern, state, snow, vehicles