TO SNOWBIRD OR NOT TO SNOWBIRD?

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Default TO SNOWBIRD OR NOT TO SNOWBIRD?

How did you decide on two places vrs. one place? Also, if you downsized, did you downsize both places or keep one larger home?

We are currently living in a 4,000 sq. ft. home. The way it is set up, it is rather easy to maintain and yet we are ready to downsize and have let go of many things. We seem to be stuck as to the next step. We've never owned two places we had to maintain and that is another worry. Help if you can. I would REALLY appreciate it.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: TO SNOWBIRD OR NOT TO SNOWBIRD?

We feel like we really aren't ready yet to not snowbird. Actually, last year (2007) was the first year we were able to spend a month in TV. We are both still working part time and have a wide and active circle of friends here in Syracuse that we are hesitant to leave. Our 4 kids are scattered all over the country and we really aren't likely (at this point anyway) to move closer to them. My guess is that we will just sorta know when it is time to move to TV permanently. That is my hope anyway. Funny though how focused we are on TV since we bought our place.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 01-06-2008, 01:30 AM
Veteran member

The decision is difficult when there are grandchildren close by. We have no children, thus no grandchildren. We always lived far away from our families. We sold our home in Virginia before we ever came to visit the Villages. We were living in our 30 ft RV and loving it. We got here and never left. No desire to travel anywhere else. Some family have come down to see us in the last few Winters. Most of my family is in New York, on Long Island. My brother was in Virginia but he passed away last March. Nieces and nephews come and visit.

I wouldn't want the financial obligations of two homes nor would I want to be packing up every six months or so and saying goodbye to friends and then getting acclimated to a new environment.

We find being full time is the best for us.

It is definitely a very personal decision and I hope you can both agree on your final decision.

As for downsizing, that was more difficult than I expected. We have finally finished giving away "stuff" but we still have some furniture that just isn't Florida type. Unfortunately, we bought some new furniture in the last two years before retirement and so we don't want to give it away or sell it.

Good luck!!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:58 AM

Gosh........Thank you Barb, AnotherLinda and Fran for your insightful response. I feel as though this is helping ..........as though we were across the kitchen table and talking about all the pros and cons together. This really means a lot to me because we have been going around and around with this for a while now and just getting no where. We were thinking that we'd never figure it out and couldn't understand how we ran a business and raised a family and yet couldn't reach a decision about this subject. It was literally driving us a bit nutty.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:13 AM
Veteran member

Boy does that sound like us. When we are there we love it. We we are here we mostly love it, except that the winters get very long. Since we decided that we are lucky enough not to have to make a decision, it has helped.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 01-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Platinum member

I don't want to snowbird but my wife does. Yes we do have grandchildren in OH. Maintaining 2 places and the cost is another factor. Now I'll have to buy another bass boat to keep up north. Such is life.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Sage

Because we're from Canada we don't have a choice, we are only allowed to stay 182 days in your country in any calendar year. > So the choice is made for us.

We've been told by many Villagers that the summer weather in TV can be quite uncomfortable and most time is usually spent indoors where it is air conditioned. :dontknow:

Since the summer months in Canada are really beautiful, we don't have a problem going back to spend time with friends. However a huge negative is the cost of maintaining more than one residence, and the tax implications of not being homesteaded in Florida.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Veteran member

I will never understand the laws regarding people from other countries who arre here LEGALLY. We know folks from England and they are also limited in how long they can stay here. Makes no sense. ILLEGALS come and stay forever and take every benefit they can or free. Here we have folks who are here legally and are limited. Something is wrong with this picture.

Tell me, if you got a green card would that limit your benefits in Canada or harm you tax-wise??? I don't understand all these laws, etc.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:14 PM

Fran, I'm with you as I don't understand why Barefoot and others have a limited time here. What's the reasoning? I'd like to say I'm sure there's a good reason but I'm NOT sure. lol.

Was it easy for all of you to get used to a downsized living arrangement if you did downsize or was it a struggle or is it still?
Old 01-06-2008, 05:30 PM

Thanks Boomer- You know...........you are really wise. I have this fixation with tables. I have so many tables of all sorts and each time we have moved, they've come along and sometimes I've added to them. We seem to find a use for them each move; however, I wonder if I don't MAKE myself find a place for all of them. Do you know what I mean? lol.

After reading your email, I realized that it would or will be hard for me to part with them or even some of them. That will be my real test.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Veteran member

I haven't read everything here so sorry about that. BUT, my advice is to bag it and get out of your Northern haunt unless you like paying high taxes, high maintenance, high utilities, and, most of all, having to administer it all....Oh, and don't forget security. After owning two houses a couple of times we decided to bag it and become full-time Villagers. We go North and stay with friends, children, etc. or we go to hotels....and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than worrying about two places. Depending on your finances, you have many options...and it's almost ALWAYS more convenient to have a primary home and not be tied down. We had a cottage on Martha's Vineyard for YEARS and felt that we always had to go back...I loved the place but it got wild, uncontrolled, crowded, and lost it's charm..so we sold our house there and never looked back. It was liberating.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 01-07-2008, 12:05 AM

jt------- thanks so much for your input too. I've learned so much already from this subject. Hope it keeps going.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.