snowbird telephone service!

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Re: snowbird telephone service!

Yeah, I don't use them, but I know Embarq offers landline and cellular telephone and DSL internet service. I've opted to use Embarq for landline phone phone only. I use Comcast for the faster broadband service, my longtime cellular provider Verizon, and DirecTV for television.

About the most one could do is to cut it to two providers by using Comcast for TV and broadband, then Embarq for landline phone and cell phone (and internet if you so choose).

I disconnect Comcast's broadband when we leave, reducing the "away" price to zero. Same with DirecTV. As I mentioned, Embarq's vacation program costs less than $18 a month. I keep the cellular service year around.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Sage

Good info Kahuna, thanks. Unfortunately Embarq's $15/month unlimited long distance doesn't apply to Canada.
I think Vonage is the only company that offers unlimited to Canada, not sure. There sure is a lot of stuff to organize prior to a first visit. But I'm not complaining, can hardly wait to get there! :bigthumbsup:
Old 09-28-2007, 06:34 AM
Sage

I know you're trying to simplify number of providers...but, I use a company called ecg (www.ecg1.com) for my long distance service from TV. No minimum monthly charges required; 2.5 cents per minute state to state and 7.5 cents per minute from FL to Canada; instate LD within FL is 9 cents a minute (go figure); just pay as you go and they charge fractional minutes instead of whole minutes; been using it for about 5 years both here and in MD and has worked flawlessly. No problem with them coordinating LD service with embarq...no extra charges from embarq.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Does anyone know if AT&T services TV yet?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:40 PM

If memory serves me right doesn't embarq have an office center right on RT# 466?

Also these companies, Vonage,embarq are all connected thru your Broadband,DSL service provider and you use the modem for the phone connection.

Since I will be using comcast for TV and Broadband internet service I also hear you can buy a multi phone set at Circuit City that will work with either phone sevice.

Question is which one works best and provides the best service?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default ECG For Long Distance

I use ECG for long distance service at my home "up north". As Villages07 noted, it's an inexpensive option that works flawlessly. I agree completely. Had I not opted for both local and LD from Embarq, I certainly would have chosen ECG for LD. I'd recommend ECG highly.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:29 AM

You might want to check into Comcast bundling. Here in NH, Comcast provides me with internet, phone, and television. When we are in TV, I can put a seasonal service in play and pay just $25 or so to keep my service in NH. It is my understanding that the minimum is three months and the max is six months but it might be something you would like to look into.

Pat
Old 10-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Sage

We are arriving Oct. 24 and I wanted some services hooked up when we arrive so we will at least have the "basic" necessities. I booked Comcast for High-Speed Internet ($20/month for six months). The "normal" price for this hook-up is supposedly $43/mo. But we only need internet service for six months! I also booked Comcast Limited Basic Channels for TV at $11/month with three outlets. (My husband will probably get Direct TV after a few months (or weeks). I plan to get a Vonage telephone for $25/mo including unlimited calls to Canada. Embarq doesn't offer unlimited service to Canada.

I'm sure we'll probably upgrade some of this as we learn more, but I thought it was a good & inexpensive start. Any guidance from those with experience?

Barefoot - Newbie
Old 10-06-2007, 11:53 AM

Barefoot

Sounds like you got good prices for these services. I just want the basics for now too as not sure how much time I will be able to spend in TV right now. Is the concast a special deal and how did you arrange for it??
Can you suspend service when you are not there? I want to make those arrangements this week so any hints you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Sage

Mom2five
The first time I called Comcast they gave me a much higher monthly rate. Then I checked on the Internet and found the "special rate". I called Comcast again and asked for their special rate. They told me it was only available on internet bookings!! Then they told me they would give me the internet rate. I think all you have to do is ask for it. They obviously don't offer it unless you know about it. >

Every company seems to offer a "suspension" service for phone or tv cable or internet with a small fee payable on a monthly basis. The suspension monthly fee for six months seems about equal to a reconnect fee if you end the service.

Hope this helps. Only ten days until we leave for TV. :bigthumbsup: Wheeeee!
Old 10-12-2007, 06:58 AM

Thanks Barefoot

I did contact comcast on line and did get the rates you mentioned . Only problem is that they will not let me order the internet service until my cable television is installed. Apparently you have to be a cable customer to be eligible for the $19.95 rate. After I ordered the cable and got a customer # I asked if I could now order the internet but they said I have to wait. Also had to pay and install cost of $39.95.

I am looking into Vonage as well and it sounds like it will be a great service. You can even bring the phone any where in the world and still use it. I am waiting till i get to the villages to set that up as I am not sure how quickly I will get my internet hooked up.

Anyway we leave tomorrow. Still not sure which route we are taking as my husband switches back and forth. I have ordered CAA trip tics for both routes so if you are interested in seeing the other route just let me know.

See u in The Villages
Old 10-12-2007, 08:28 AM

One question to ask when interviewing new phone companies is - when you call 911, do the police know your location. I understand not all phone companies provide this service.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Platinum member

If you're talking about Vonage, one has to set it up. It is very easy--done from the computer once the phone is working.
Tampa, FL
Old 10-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Sage

Mom2five

I set up my Comcast services with ONE telephone call:
Cable TV - $11/mo for basic services - gets major networks, activation fee of $25.00
for three existing outlets
Internet - $19.99/mo for six months, activation fee of $20, technician will bring modem

Vonage can then be used by plugging in a modem (I am bringing one with me, or you can purchase from Vonage). My fee of $25/mo gives me unlimited calls to the US and Canada, something no-one else offers.

I already have my Vonage telephone number and they have confirmed my 911 address in The Villages. When I leave TV in six months, I can bring my Vonage phone back to Canada.

Sound like everything is too easy? Yeah, I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall. We'll see how it works out.

Good luck on your drive. See you in TV! :bigthumbsup:

Old 10-12-2007, 10:05 PM

Thanks Barefoot

I phoned comcast and they have agreed to install my internet at the same time as the tv cable.

I will purchase Vonage when I get to Florida. I think it is so great that we can bring the phones home and use them here in Canada.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.