Snowbirds - Which state do you claim residency?

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2022, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Applies if you change your residence to Florida, then you have 90 days to change plates, title, and insurance. If you keep your residence in home state, you can travel anywhere you want, without change of car status. My family members are travelers (contacted to work in different states up to 4 months). None of them claim that state as residence, and have never in 15 years changed their car insurance in the state they are working in.
Not true. From "floridabar.org",

"Any person who has a car in Florida for more than 90 days during a 365-day period must purchase PIP and property damage liability insurance. The 90 days do not have to be consecutive."

Also, there are many website legal articles about the requirement for a non-Florida resident snowbird to have a Florida auto insurance policy if they use a vehicle in Florida for more than 90 days per year.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:05 AM

I found "The Florida Domicile Handbook" and "The Official Snowbird's Guide to Becoming a Florida Resident" (both available on Amazon) very helpful in educating myself about this process. Claiming Florida to be your home state is more complicated then just being there for 180 days if you don't want to risk being audited by your previous home state, especially if you are keeping the old residence there. Good luck with the move!
Old 09-24-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn Wagner View Post
One thing you might want to consider, if you should need a nursing home some day and your not private pay you will be stuck in the state you call home. Is it near your children or family so they can come visit you? Thats why i still call NY my home because it is near my family and grand children whom i may not see often if I’m a fl resident. Food for thought.
I don't believe this is correct. My mother in law was in a facility in Florida under medicare/medicaid and we lived here. We moved to Georgia and we had her moved to Ga. to be close to us, took small amount of work to accomplish, nothing major.

Also, my ex-wife went into a nursing home in Georgia after living there for 3-4 years as a resident. She was under medicare/medicaid. My son had her moved to a facility in Florida to be closer to him in 2019/2020 timeframe.
It takes a bit of paperwork and finding a facility willing to do it, but that should not determine your state of residence as Florida is a much better tax friendly state than most.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:47 AM

I claim FL as my primary residence and my husband claims CO as his. It is MUCH less expensive to license vehicles in FL than CO. Vehicle insurance is about the same.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,191 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post

"Any person who has a car in Florida for more than 90 days during a 365-day period must purchase PIP and property damage liability insurance. The 90 days do not have to be consecutive."

Also, there are many website legal articles about the requirement for a non-Florida resident snowbird to have a Florida auto insurance policy if they use a vehicle in Florida for more than 90 days per year.

Correct.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,191 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post

Correct, you must have PIP for Florida in addition to your other state of residence if you are here 90 days in a calendar year.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:00 AM

Ask your CPA or tax adviser! They know state laws and your situation. That is the only way to know what’s right for you. Everything else is others advice that may not pertain to you and Colorado laws/homestead.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:05 PM

Have u or spouse claim one state each.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Buying in TV very, very soon. At this point, I am planning on splitting my time evenly in Colorado, though that could eventually change. Question - do you keep you drivers license, voting registration, and pay state taxes still in your non-Florida sate, or have you declared Florida as your primary residence?
The state of confusion
Closed Thread

Tags
state, snowbirds, taxes, drivers, license

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.