Snowbirds... What do you do with your cars if you fly home

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Default Snowbirds... What do you do with your cars if you fly home

We would like to leave our car here while we're gone for 6 months. It's a 2014 and wondering what the best and safest way to store it would be. We only have a carport.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:15 PM
Gold member

Don't leave it outside. The tires will melt into the driveway. I learned the hard way. Car was so hot and when I returned and started it, the engine seized and I had to junk it.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:25 PM

My Home Watch person takes my car and golf carts for a spin every week when we are gone.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:44 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Our friends leave their SUV under their carport and have their home watch take it out for exercise once a week. Home watch exercises their golf carts, too.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Definitely get someone to drive your car once a week. Doesn't need to go far, just needs some exercise. If you could store it in a garage, then you have a different story, but not when parked outside.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-02-2015, 06:07 AM
Gold member
Default check your policy

to put a car on "vacation" status (we did it once up north for the winter), our policy (USAA) required that we store the vehicle in a secure location in order for the comprehensive insurance that we left active on the policy apply. A carport would not be a secure location, I don't believe. Would especially be concerned about this for a 2014 vehicle.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.