So Disappointed

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Default So Disappointed

We arrived here on January 1, full of anticipation. That anticipation has almost completely evaporated. Most activities listed in the Thursday newspaper are filled up an hour before start time. For the Trivia tonight at Bradenton at 6:30 people arrived at 5-5:20 to be accommodated. Other 6pm arrivals were turned away. Same at yoga. A pickle ball clinic requires you to sign up a week before. all sign ups were filled within the first ten minutes of the date opening up. Bunco, no room at the tables.
We were actually told "we have more tables, just not enough chairs"
Come on, really! Just order some more folding chairs.
Life long learning college course is SOLD OUT.
We haven't even attempted a dinner out yet! Have cooked home every night.

I know I will get flamed royally for this post. I would never buy a house here because of these experiences. For those of you tempted to say "good more room for someone else" I simply say look around at all the construction.
Can the villages really sustain more growth?
Would love some good, honest feedback.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Welcome to "Snowbird Season".
Old 01-10-2014, 07:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms33 View Post
We arrived here on January 1, full of anticipation. That anticipation has almost completely evaporated. Most activities listed in the Thursday newspaper are filled up an hour before start time. For the Trivia tonight at Bradenton at 6:30 people arrived at 5-5:20 to be accommodated. Other 6pm arrivals were turned away. Same at yoga. A pickle ball clinic requires you to sign up a week before. all sign ups were filled within the first ten minutes of the date opening up. Bunco, no room at the tables.
We were actually told "we have more tables, just not enough chairs"
Come on, really! Just order some more folding chairs.
Life long learning college course is SOLD OUT.
We haven't even attempted a dinner out yet! Have cooked home every night.

I know I will get flamed royally for this post. I would never buy a house here because of these experiences. For those of you tempted to say "good more room for someone else" I simply say look around at all the construction.
Can the villages really sustain more growth?
Would love some good, honest feedback.
It can be very frustrating when all the tables are filled and you cannot be accommodated at the Rec centers. That is why, most people have these things at their house on a regular basis. Once you meet your neighbors and establish some friendships, you won't even go to the rec centers anymore. People have game nights at their homes all the time. Much more enjoyable.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Veteran member

One of the biggest problem the past couple of years has been the failure of the commercial development to keep pace with the residential development. This really becomes obvious in January when the snowbirds return. Try finding a parking place at Colony Plaza or having lunch when the only fast food restaurant is the McDonalds at Colony. It's true, many of us go into hibernation for January and February out of self preservation.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Veteran member

This is the time when you go out exploring and find good restaurants "off campus". There are many locations to travel to that are not a far drive. Find a new place and when we the part timers are gone, you will still have interesting locations to visit on a day that you might be bored.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Platinum member

Us full-timers grin and bear it because this is when the commercial areas make their money to sustain them the rest of the year. It can be frustrating but you will learn to go to everything super early, find restaurants off campus or adjust your dining schedule to real early or really late, shop at the supermarket during dinner time when others are at the restaurants. We eat breakfast late, skip lunch and have a really early dinner and my husband will snack later. Once you meet your neighbors have driveway parties, coffee hours, book clubs, card games, bunco, mahjong groups at home and rotate hosts. Being flexible keeps you sane.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayschic View Post
It can be very frustrating when all the tables are filled and you cannot be accommodated at the Rec centers. That is why, most people have these things at their house on a regular basis. Once you meet your neighbors and establish some friendships, you won't even go to the rec centers anymore. People have game nights at their homes all the time. Much more enjoyable.
We live here full time and there are not enough hours in the day for all of the activities we do. It's a little tougher this time of year to go out to eat but we do it, just not as often as we do in the off season
Old 01-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Gold member

Today we took a picnic lunch and went to the beach. It was fantastic!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I understand your frustration but snowbird season has always been like this. Maybe not quite as extreme, but pretty darn close. You do learn to go at least an hour early for activities at the rec centers. It's a great time to meet new people, find new friends to sit with. Or bring a good book and just relax until the doors open and you can get your seat.

As has been said, we frogs just adjust our schedules to accommodate the snowbirds and visitors. For three months we're inconvenienced somewhat, but it is worth it so that stores, restaurants can be open after snowbird season. If this deters you from enjoying TV, I'm so very sorry. You're missing out on one of the better retirement communities in the country.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Platinum member

Glad you haven't gotten flamed so far. Unfortunately you picked the hardest time to try to build a social network and have some fun. A good suggestion above was to connect with your neighbors. If you are in a new neighborhood, everyone there is experiencing what you are and looking for things to do. If the neighborhood is established, many of your neighbors are involved in things they can help you get into.
Consider posting your own request to start a card or game club right here. Set a tentative date and invite folks to your home. If you don't get enough participants, start the process again.
At Thanksgiving, one of our TV folks invited people to come to his home for dinner. The responses were interesting and it appears everything worked out and a good time was had by all.
As another poster aid, this is a great time to explore 'off campus' restaurants, golf and other activities.
Hang in there. If you make even one good connection, it may result in forming one or more long term friendships. That can be priceless.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

No flaming from me either. It is a reality throughout The Villages because we are beautiful and sought after here.

This is the fastest growing place in all of the United States for good reasons.

Because it is WONDERFUL and people are coming in droves.

We played golf today with our great Friday group, enjoyed watching one of our group open her presents on her 91st birthday and had a nice lunch at Beef O Brady's.

Came home, did a little house work, read a bit on the lanai, and later fixed a nice dinner and was really grateful for a warm day after our short winter last week.

As our good friend and advisor on here, Bogie Shooter, often says, Patience, Grasshopper.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
Us full-timers grin and bear it because this is when the commercial areas make their money to sustain them the rest of the year. It can be frustrating but you will learn to go to everything super early, find restaurants off campus or adjust your dining schedule to real early or really late, shop at the supermarket during dinner time when others are at the restaurants. We eat breakfast late, skip lunch and have a really early dinner and my husband will snack later. Once you meet your neighbors have driveway parties, coffee hours, book clubs, card games, bunco, mahjong groups at home and rotate hosts. Being flexible keeps you sane.

I would like to add that you are experiencing the snowbird phenomena. and sorry to say, prior planning might have avoided, some of this disappointment.
I have experience a longer wait at one restaurant, but tend to eat home.

I wouldn't give up on TV because when the snowbirds leave, everything goes back to normal. I am going to take up golf, but after the snowbirds leave, as getting a tee time, must be much harder. It's really not crowded except for the snowbird season. Some people might disagree with my last statement but coming from NY, everything requires patience.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-10-2014, 09:00 PM

Snowbirds pay for the services all year. Full timers should praise them for paying some of their share. And why not show up an hour early to get into the activity of your choice? I am part timer but not a real snowbird due to timing. I love both seasons. During the change seems to be a bit of confustion, aggression, and error but so be it.
Still better than anything I could have imagined!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
That's REALLY off campus.

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Sage

Originally Posted by missypie

Great idea. I would have loved to go to some of the peaceful park setting off El Camino and brought a picnic lunch to be shared with friends.

Thanks for the great idea.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.