So what's it like to get the Virus? - not good...

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2020, 12:51 PM
Exclamation So what's it like to get the Virus? - not good...

So what's it like to get the Virus? I contracted Covid-19 a few weeks ago whilst we were on short-stay break at our home here The Villages. A few people have asked "what was it like" in a nutshell "pretty crappy". Here I give brief synopsis in the hope it reinforces the absolute need to isolate yourselves and no matter how much of pain it is to be stuck indoors it really is worth it to avoid getting infected.

As background, I am a healthy 62-year-old. For me it started with a dry cough for a couple of days, then the headaches, followed by chills and body aches. My temperature started to go up 100, 101, 102. at this point my wife and I agreed she should leave the house and move in with her parents as we feared it was COVID. I called the Florida COVID Hotline - at the time they did not have a testing process in place unless I drove more than 50 miles to Orlando (I had a challenge getting to the kitchen! ) - I explained my symptoms to a virtual Dr who told me to isolate, rest, take Tylenol and drink plenty of fluids - not come into emergency unless my temperature exceeded 105 and/or I had significant breathing issues- Well it got to 104! spent time alone having cold showers to try and bring down the temperature, ended up getting hallucinations and severe bought of diarrhoea for 2 days (slept on the bathroom floor for 24 hours).

This was the scariest time, being on your own, knowing you have the virus and not having a clue what to do other than keep taking the Tylenol, drink Gatorade and trying to sip on a bowl of soup. For me, it was the worst flu I can ever recall x 10. After a few days (can't recall how many) the temp started to come down, and by the 5th day the fever broke and dropped below a 100 and my cough subsided. After 8 days or so I was well on the way to recovery and after two-plus weeks I am back to 90% (silver lining dropped 14 Ibs but not a diet I would recommend!).

My wife has moved back in and we are self-isolating and keeping our distance from everyone. All to say, please, please take the lockdown very seriously, I was lucky in as much I had no underlying issues - but even so, this was not a pleasant experience.

I am scheduled to give blood early next week so they can test for antibodies and donate plasma if needed.

They say 80% of those that contract the virus can stay at home and come through this without too many problems. But as my story relays you really don’t want to be one of that 80 %. I still count myself so lucky I didn't become one of the 20% that had to be hospitalized and the 4% that just don't make it.

As I said please reinforce the message to follow all the guidance. We are now wearing face masks whenever we have to leave the house (which is rare) and that seems to be gaining momentum.

Stay safe, healthy and please isolate!
Old 04-04-2020, 01:16 PM
Sage

Thanks for taking your time to tell your story. I wish you and your wife all the best.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambda View Post
So what's it like to get the Virus? I contracted Covid-19 a few weeks ago whilst we were on short-stay break at our home here The Villages. A few people have asked "what was it like" in a nutshell "pretty crappy". Here I give brief synopsis in the hope it reinforces the absolute need to isolate yourselves and no matter how much of pain it is to be stuck indoors it really is worth it to avoid getting infected.

As background, I am a healthy 62-year-old. For me it started with a dry cough for a couple of days, then the headaches, followed by chills and body aches. My temperature started to go up 100, 101, 102. at this point my wife and I agreed she should leave the house and move in with her parents as we feared it was COVID. I called the Florida COVID Hotline - at the time they did not have a testing process in place unless I drove more than 50 miles to Orlando (I had a challenge getting to the kitchen! ) - I explained my symptoms to a virtual Dr who told me to isolate, rest, take Tylenol and drink plenty of fluids - not come into emergency unless my temperature exceeded 105 and/or I had significant breathing issues- Well it got to 104! spent time alone having cold showers to try and bring down the temperature, ended up getting hallucinations and severe bought of diarrhoea for 2 days (slept on the bathroom floor for 24 hours).

This was the scariest time, being on your own, knowing you have the virus and not having a clue what to do other than keep taking the Tylenol, drink Gatorade and trying to sip on a bowl of soup. For me, it was the worst flu I can ever recall x 10. After a few days (can't recall how many) the temp started to come down, and by the 5th day the fever broke and dropped below a 100 and my cough subsided. After 8 days or so I was well on the way to recovery and after two-plus weeks I am back to 90% (silver lining dropped 14 Ibs but not a diet I would recommend!).

My wife has moved back in and we are self-isolating and keeping our distance from everyone. All to say, please, please take the lockdown very seriously, I was lucky in as much I had no underlying issues - but even so, this was not a pleasant experience.

I am scheduled to give blood early next week so they can test for antibodies and donate plasma if needed.

They say 80% of those that contract the virus can stay at home and come through this without too many problems. But as my story relays you really don’t want to be one of that 80 %. I still count myself so lucky I didn't become one of the 20% that had to be hospitalized and the 4% that just don't make it.

As I said please reinforce the message to follow all the guidance. We are now wearing face masks whenever we have to leave the house (which is rare) and that seems to be gaining momentum.

So your wife who was possiby a carrier, moved in with her elderly parents?

They must have been delighted to welcome her!
Old 04-04-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I see nowhere in your post that you were diagnosed with Covid, unless i'm missing something.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsboro View Post
I see nowhere in your post that you were diagnosed with Covid, unless i'm missing something.
In most places, unless you are hospitalized they are not testing for covid 19. There are still not enough tests and the processing of what they have done is behind. The account is consistent with how the virus attacks the body.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
So your wife who was possiby a carrier, moved in with her elderly parents?

They must have been delighted to welcome her!
We did have that concern, but fortunately, she was able to isolate in a separate area of their house. Father in law only who was kept safe.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claricecolin View Post
In most places, unless you are hospitalized they are not testing for covid 19. There are still not enough tests and the processing of what they have done is behind. The account is consistent with how the virus attacks the body.
Correct at the time there were so few tests available and unless you were admitted no testing was offered. The only other option was to get down to Orlando to the drive-through testing centre that had just opened - but that was not an option due to being unable to leave to the house. The virtual Dr service was very good , kept in touch and gave instructions. The blood draw next week should reveal/confirm virus-free state and hopefully plasma can be used to help others.Plasma Donations from Recovered COVID-19 Patients
Old 04-04-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
And then you look at Cuomo still on the air from his basement, laughing and joking with his brother the governor. I would assume that not everyone that gets it has the same symptoms as described here. I hope I don't have to find out. thanks for your post.
Apparently there is huge range of symptoms and conditions, from a mild cold - to very bad flu (me) all the way to hospitalisation and ventilators. Key apparently is the repository signs that would dictate the degree of concern - mine never progressed beyond the dry cough and associated aches from constant coughing. My lungs were ok and didn't show any signs of deterioration/pneumonia - which was key when reporting condition updates to the Dr. Apprently the fever is a good thing - to an extent - as it stimulates your own immune system to help fight the virus.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:39 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

do you know where you got it from
Old 04-04-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:

I am a fit, healthy woman who keeps very active. ( PB, some tennis, Pilates, yoga, weightlifting, table tennis). I have never had a flu shot, and rarely have any stomach issues. Over the course of my 65+ years never take over-the-counter meds or prescribed meds. Had 2 children totally naturally and one emergency appendectomy, followed by a pseudomonas aeruginosa blood infection, at 63. I have used homeopathic remedies (since early 90’s and had a medical doctor practicing 100% homeopathy )and acupuncture (15–20 years. )

Last Wednesday, as soon as I woke up & sat up, I had vertigo. I staggered from walls to furniture to the kitchen to grab water and Gatorade, and back to bed. I lay flat and did not turn my head. That lasted 1 1/2 hours. Then I had to vomit, only clear mucus, ( apologize for the details, but...) With the vertigo , I was so weak , the hands were like clay. I lay on the floor by the commode, until I could crawl back to bed. No temperature, low, but typical for me 95.6. ( Weigh 120-125 #’s, do not fluctuate much.) I was freezing. ...Covered with a sheet, a cotton and a vellux blanket and a down duvet. About 2:00 I got out of bed . Stomach was fine. Had an appetite. Made hot tea because feet and hands still freezing. Back to bed and lay there ‘til 7:30. I was very weak , but I managed to stand for a little cooking and sat until midnight.
Thursday, I was normal, energetic self . Friday, I had a “head “issue. Could not read, play music or do yoga. Sat outdoors all day. That lasted until late evening. Today I was okay when I got up, but had a brief spell of the “head “issue, after a short walk outdoors. Did yoga, and almost back to normal.

The body parts prone to illness are the throat and lungs, pneumonia in 2nd grade, bronchitis for many years from college( none since using humidifiers in Mid-Atlantic states’ winters, once upon arrival here.), pleurisy ( never smoked, or did drugs).

For the last couple years, I see a functional medicine practitioner. Never had leaky gut, and most of my life have eaten home-cooked meals, eliminated caffeine, rarely drink coffee.

I immediately took a homeopathic flu remedy, (upon awakening with vertigo , and one more 6 hours later) available over-the-counter in any pharmacy anywhere. ( Oscillococcinum).
In preparation for a trip I would have left for last Saturday & returned tomorrow, I was taking a probiotic and a professional colloidal silver. I have continued to take it.

Sorry to be so long winded, but feel it is extremely important to know the details. Each person is unique.

Upon sharing with a friend who is a Vietnamese vet, he said many vets have dealt with the freezing cold, piling mattresses , blankets to 3’, until they “ sweat it out”. I never sweated.

Might there be a correlation here with the success of the anti-malaria drug in treating Covid-19?
Old 04-04-2020, 03:01 PM

Just because you have symptoms does not mean that you have Covid, until tested. The common flu has some of the same symptoms so i'm not buying it until you have confirmed you actually had it. Don't confuse people.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Exactly what day did your symptoms begin? How long were you and your wife separated from each other? How long did the illness last from start to finish? Were you ever seen in person by a physician or PA? How did you determine it was safe to give plasma? I am just asking these questions because it seems to sound like you were self diagnosed. I am very sorry you were so sick, and I have talked to three people who think they may have had it, all with different levels of severity. This is a complex issue.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:04 PM
Sage

To the two people who shared their symptoms....did you lose your sense of smell and taste??

I may have shared on this site before (or not) that I have a friend who lives in the midwest who became sick over the holidays. Don't recall if the illness hit in time for Thanksgiving or not. ALL I remember is hearing from her and this thing lasted for weeks. She never gets sick or rarely anyway. We conversed this past week and she says now, that in looking back and reading statistics put out from the U.K. and other places, she thinks she'd had the Covid-19 virus as she checked all the boxes. She'd seen her dr. but his test didn't indicate flu. Thankfully, now she's fine but this virus isn't anything to trifle with. I know early on we'd hear it's "just" the flu....so we all went on about our lives. It's difficult in knowing what we're to do---stay in or go out and about?? My take is...avoid contact with people as much as we can. NOT to be foolish.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:14 PM

Thanks for sharing and I'm so glad your are a survivor!
Old 04-04-2020, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I wonder if it was Covid-19 described by these folks? I wonder if the person who "never takes prescribed Medicine" had it or something else. I am a born sceptic and also a person who has heard many sincere tales that I doubted. I am after all a card carrying mother. I know that we can't be running around listening to people who are not skilled medical professionals when it comes to staying in or going out. People are dying out there.

I am not trying to be mean or unsympathetic and I don't have any valid medical training. I just wonder if everyone who posts can be trusted as part of our information gathering about Covid-19. Heads of State all over the world couldn't believe this was happening at first. It all happened within the last four months really. The first case talked about in Wuhan was in late November. Even the experts heads are spinning. I think it would be wise to do everything we can to not expose ourselves to this damned little killer and if we have a fever and a dry cough, seek medical advice. Praying wouldn't hurt either. But don't GO to church.

Tags
virus, days, started, isolate, temperature

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.