So what's it like to get the Virus? - not good...

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2020, 05:06 PM

I thank you for your post and it supports my thoughts after exhausting reading about CV.

My conclusion, and I'm not a medical professional, rather married to one, pretty much aligns with this article, written by a Swiss doctor about CV in Italy

click here

The take-away may be, without extreme comorbidity (age, obesity, smoking related illnesses, etc.) then CV is not a killer, rather a really, really, really bad flu.

I read (probably too much) articles from sources with a variety of political persuasions.

The main-stream-media blames the CV epidemic on Trump. The conservative media praises Trump. Both have an element of truth. Neither is 100% correct all the time.

That's human nature.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I wonder if it was Covid-19 described by these folks? I wonder if the person who "never takes prescribed Medicine" had it or something else. I am a born sceptic and also a person who has heard many sincere tales that I doubted. I am after all a card carrying mother. I know that we can't be running around listening to people who are not skilled medical professionals when it comes to staying in or going out. People are dying out there.

I am not trying to be mean or unsympathetic and I don't have any valid medical training. I just wonder if everyone who posts can be trusted as part of our information gathering about Covid-19. Heads of State all over the world couldn't believe this was happening at first. It all happened within the last four months really. The first case talked about in Wuhan was in late November. Even the experts heads are spinning. I think it would be wise to do everything we can to not expose ourselves to this damned little killer and if we have a fever and a dry cough, seek medical advice. Praying wouldn't hurt either. But don't GO to church.
Seriously? The OP bravely posts the first account (in TV) of what coronavirus is like, his account is totally believable, very accurate as to symptoms, accurate as to the testing situation at that time, and he basically took Tylenol and weathered it out. Totally consistent with what doctors/hospitals are telling patients. Don't come in unless fever over 105 and you have severe respiration problems. Its a very valuable account and I hope we get more like it, but maybe not if they have a low post count and haven't been to one of your dinner parties.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:14 PM

I am not suggesting anyone should "buy it" my only goal in posting my experience was the hope it would reinforce the stay at home isolation directives. It's up to the red cross to determine if I am a candidate to provide plasma .if not that's ok but if yes then great, hopefully it will go toward helping someone who is very sick. At this point given what I have been through I hope it results in helping others. Again stay safe , healthy and isolate.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

But you didn’t get tested.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Yeah, he should have driven to Orlando with 104 fever and diarrhea.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
This person will know soon enough if in fact Covid-19 is the reason he experienced all those symptoms. If the test for antibodies shows that yes, in fact this person has developed antibodies to CV-19, then the diagnosis can be made.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Seriously? The OP bravely posts the first account (in TV) of what coronavirus is like, his account is totally believable, very accurate as to symptoms, accurate as to the testing situation at that time, and he basically took Tylenol and weathered it out. Totally consistent with what doctors/hospitals are telling patients. Don't come in unless fever over 105 and you have severe respiration problems. Its a very valuable account and I hope we get more like it, but maybe not if they have a low post count and haven't been to one of your dinner parties.
Haven't been to one of my dinner parties??? What do you mean?

AND...……. Sometimes a "new person is an old one in camoflauge".

Many people are giving "advice" about treatment without a valid source. Many people are touting unproven treatments.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambda View Post
So what's it like to get the Virus? I contracted Covid-19 a few weeks ago whilst we were on short-stay break at our home here The Villages. A few people have asked "what was it like" in a nutshell "pretty crappy". Here I give brief synopsis in the hope it reinforces the absolute need to isolate yourselves and no matter how much of pain it is to be stuck indoors it really is worth it to avoid getting infected.

As background, I am a healthy 62-year-old. For me it started with a dry cough for a couple of days, then the headaches, followed by chills and body aches. My temperature started to go up 100, 101, 102. at this point my wife and I agreed she should leave the house and move in with her parents as we feared it was COVID. I called the Florida COVID Hotline - at the time they did not have a testing process in place unless I drove more than 50 miles to Orlando (I had a challenge getting to the kitchen! ) - I explained my symptoms to a virtual Dr who told me to isolate, rest, take Tylenol and drink plenty of fluids - not come into emergency unless my temperature exceeded 105 and/or I had significant breathing issues- Well it got to 104! spent time alone having cold showers to try and bring down the temperature, ended up getting hallucinations and severe bought of diarrhoea for 2 days (slept on the bathroom floor for 24 hours).

This was the scariest time, being on your own, knowing you have the virus and not having a clue what to do other than keep taking the Tylenol, drink Gatorade and trying to sip on a bowl of soup. For me, it was the worst flu I can ever recall x 10. After a few days (can't recall how many) the temp started to come down, and by the 5th day the fever broke and dropped below a 100 and my cough subsided. After 8 days or so I was well on the way to recovery and after two-plus weeks I am back to 90% (silver lining dropped 14 Ibs but not a diet I would recommend!).

My wife has moved back in and we are self-isolating and keeping our distance from everyone. All to say, please, please take the lockdown very seriously, I was lucky in as much I had no underlying issues - but even so, this was not a pleasant experience.

I am scheduled to give blood early next week so they can test for antibodies and donate plasma if needed.

They say 80% of those that contract the virus can stay at home and come through this without too many problems. But as my story relays you really don’t want to be one of that 80 %. I still count myself so lucky I didn't become one of the 20% that had to be hospitalized and the 4% that just don't make it.

As I said please reinforce the message to follow all the guidance. We are now wearing face masks whenever we have to leave the house (which is rare) and that seems to be gaining momentum.

Stay safe, healthy and please isolate!
Wow, thanks for sharing your experience as we are all trying to figure out something that is like we have never seen before. So glad you are on the other side of this horrible virus. Stay positive and healthy.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Haven't been to one of my dinner parties??? What do you mean?

AND...……. Sometimes a "new person is an old one in camoflauge".

Many people are giving "advice" about treatment without a valid source. Many people are touting unproven treatments.
Yep, we've all got to be vigilant about people promoting Tylenol for fever!
Old 04-04-2020, 07:09 PM

My sister's neighbor got confirmation this last Sunday he had covid 19. He was fine by Thursday. 55 year old male.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Thank you so much, OP, for describing your experience! As I was reading your post I felt like I was going through it with you. So glad that you made it through ok and are thoughtful enough to share it with us as a warning.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:42 PM
Platinum member

Why would anyone doubt the veracity of someone’s symptoms. I myself was sick as a dog for three weeks in February with fever, horrible horrible cough to the point where I thought I broke a rib and was hugging a pillow to ease the pain. When I was lying in bed at night, my lungs hurt in the back. All I really wanted to do was sleep. Doctors at that point had nothing. Take Tylenol, drink fluid And rest. When that test for immunity comes out, rest assured that I will be tested. There is no question in my mind that I had the virus.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:48 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambda View Post
So what's it like to get the Virus? I contracted Covid-19 a few weeks ago whilst we were on short-stay break at our home here The Villages. A few people have asked "what was it like" in a nutshell "pretty crappy". Here I give brief synopsis in the hope it reinforces the absolute need to isolate yourselves and no matter how much of pain it is to be stuck indoors it really is worth it to avoid getting infected.

As background, I am a healthy 62-year-old. For me it started with a dry cough for a couple of days, then the headaches, followed by chills and body aches. My temperature started to go up 100, 101, 102. at this point my wife and I agreed she should leave the house and move in with her parents as we feared it was COVID. I called the Florida COVID Hotline - at the time they did not have a testing process in place unless I drove more than 50 miles to Orlando (I had a challenge getting to the kitchen! ) - I explained my symptoms to a virtual Dr who told me to isolate, rest, take Tylenol and drink plenty of fluids - not come into emergency unless my temperature exceeded 105 and/or I had significant breathing issues- Well it got to 104! spent time alone having cold showers to try and bring down the temperature, ended up getting hallucinations and severe bought of diarrhoea for 2 days (slept on the bathroom floor for 24 hours).

This was the scariest time, being on your own, knowing you have the virus and not having a clue what to do other than keep taking the Tylenol, drink Gatorade and trying to sip on a bowl of soup. For me, it was the worst flu I can ever recall x 10. After a few days (can't recall how many) the temp started to come down, and by the 5th day the fever broke and dropped below a 100 and my cough subsided. After 8 days or so I was well on the way to recovery and after two-plus weeks I am back to 90% (silver lining dropped 14 Ibs but not a diet I would recommend!).

My wife has moved back in and we are self-isolating and keeping our distance from everyone. All to say, please, please take the lockdown very seriously, I was lucky in as much I had no underlying issues - but even so, this was not a pleasant experience.

I am scheduled to give blood early next week so they can test for antibodies and donate plasma if needed.

They say 80% of those that contract the virus can stay at home and come through this without too many problems. But as my story relays you really don’t want to be one of that 80 %. I still count myself so lucky I didn't become one of the 20% that had to be hospitalized and the 4% that just don't make it.

As I said please reinforce the message to follow all the guidance. We are now wearing face masks whenever we have to leave the house (which is rare) and that seems to be gaining momentum.

Stay safe, healthy and please isolate!

Thank you for sharing your story.

I am so sorry you had to be subjected to an inquisition, along with the casting of aspersions.

I do not understand why you came under attack, but it is not the first time I have seen that happen around here. No wonder so many are unwilling to post. I appreciate your doing so. I consider what you did as a public service. My thanks.

I wish you and yours the best of health going forward.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:26 AM

Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like Covid-19 to me, although one would not know for sure without a test. But we do know a lot of people are dying from it, and that number is continuing to grow exponentially. Glad you didn't contribute to that statistic.

I don't get the skeptics. Like the ones I've seen on TV that fortunately have changed their tune over the last couple of weeks, or the eight or so governors who continue to drag their feet. Bill Gates explained it best - you have to lock down the ENTIRE country. States should not be given the option. There is definitely a lack of leadership on this.

Good luck to everyone, and I hope as many as possible make it through without losing a friend or family member.

Last edited by skarra; 04-05-2020 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Error
Old 04-05-2020, 12:36 AM

Good read on why Herd Immunity may not come soon ...

What is herd immunity and can it stop the coronavirus? - MIT Technology Review

Best strategy for now is to practice social distancing as much as possible, at least for the next 2 months until the curve is flattened and hospitals can once again deal with the loads.
Closed Thread

Tags
virus, days, started, isolate, temperature

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.