So what's it like to get the Virus? - not good...

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2020, 10:00 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsboro View Post
Just because you have symptoms does not mean that you have Covid, until tested. The common flu has some of the same symptoms so i'm not buying it until you have confirmed you actually had it. Don't confuse people.
Do you think these people don’t know what the flu is like? Don’t be naive.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Yeah, he should have driven to Orlando with 104 fever and diarrhea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
This person will know soon enough if in fact Covid-19 is the reason he experienced all those symptoms. If the test for antibodies shows that yes, in fact this person has developed antibodies to CV-19, then the diagnosis can be made.
If OP had virus, and tested positive, they are looking for those that have recovered to acquire plasma. Op can still be tested, and should
Old 04-05-2020, 10:09 AM

So where do you think you picked it up? Did you do any activities and where were you for the 2 weeks prior to getting it? Just curious if you can track anything.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:15 AM

Thank you for sharing. So glad you are better
Old 04-05-2020, 10:19 AM

Thank you for posting your experience. For me, it only reinforces the absolute need to take this virus very seriously and stay home. Only go out if you absolutely need to and wear gloves and a mask.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:07 AM

Yes thank you and so so lucky. God bless you
Old 04-05-2020, 11:17 AM

I appreciate what you have to say. I do hope it makes people aware that they have to stay in. God Bless You
Old 04-05-2020, 11:50 AM

Wow! What a story. I will certainly take heed. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambda View Post
I am not suggesting anyone should "buy it" my only goal in posting my experience was the hope it would reinforce the stay at home isolation directives. It's up to the red cross to determine if I am a candidate to provide plasma .if not that's ok but if yes then great, hopefully it will go toward helping someone who is very sick. At this point given what I have been through I hope it results in helping others. Again stay safe , healthy and isolate.
I am really sorry that my words were so harsh. I was wrong. I have read some other posters who say all kinds of things without documentation that just makes things worse and quite frankly make me mad. You didn't do any of those things. And you certainly didn't say anything about a conspiracy or about politics. I am very glad you are better and I also wonder if two of my family members who live in Manhattan and were really sick for several days at the end of January had it. They travel overseas and would have had ample opportunity to be exposed. They too were too lethargic to eat and had fever and coughing. I guess we will never know. In six months, many of us won't be here. We will be dead due to the virus. That is the ultimate truth. We must do all we possibly can to avoid getting it or spreading it.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
That’s what you took away from this heartfelt post?
Not at all, and I never posted anything disparaging about the OP. and I am glad he has recovered.
However, sending wife to stay with aged parents, when she was possibly infected and a carrier, was, in my mind, was not the brightest decision made.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:12 PM

I did not lose my sense of taste or smell. Remember, I was only commenting on what I experienced.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivacious32162 View Post
...a long post...
Your symptoms are not consistent with COVID-19. You didn't even check with a doctor and chose instead to self-treat with homeopathy, which isn't proven to treat anything at all, other than anxiety over the possibility of being sick when you aren't really sick in the first place (it's a 100% placebo effect, good for any non-illness).

Sounds to me like an ear infection - which can cause vertigo and nausea - and the dehydration resulting from vomiting can cause chills. Mild ear infections usually resolve by themselves, with no treatment at all - and many people don't even know they have them because if they're mild, there's often no actual pain in the ears.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
Do you think these people don’t know what the flu is like? Don’t be naive.
The person you are responding to in this post, was responding to someone other than the OP, who said she never had the flu.

Pretty sure that means that person doesn't know what the flu is like, having never experienced it. It's not being naive. It's paying attention to what's being said - and what isn't being said - and who's saying it (and not saying it).
Old 04-06-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambda View Post
So what's it like to get the Virus? I contracted Covid-19 a few weeks ago whilst we were on short-stay break at our home here The Villages. A few people have asked "what was it like" in a nutshell "pretty crappy". Here I give brief synopsis in the hope it reinforces the absolute need to isolate yourselves and no matter how much of pain it is to be stuck indoors it really is worth it to avoid getting infected.

As background, I am a healthy 62-year-old. For me it started with a dry cough for a couple of days, then the headaches, followed by chills and body aches. My temperature started to go up 100, 101, 102. at this point my wife and I agreed she should leave the house and move in with her parents as we feared it was COVID. I called the Florida COVID Hotline - at the time they did not have a testing process in place unless I drove more than 50 miles to Orlando (I had a challenge getting to the kitchen! ) - I explained my symptoms to a virtual Dr who told me to isolate, rest, take Tylenol and drink plenty of fluids - not come into emergency unless my temperature exceeded 105 and/or I had significant breathing issues- Well it got to 104! spent time alone having cold showers to try and bring down the temperature, ended up getting hallucinations and severe bought of diarrhoea for 2 days (slept on the bathroom floor for 24 hours).

This was the scariest time, being on your own, knowing you have the virus and not having a clue what to do other than keep taking the Tylenol, drink Gatorade and trying to sip on a bowl of soup. For me, it was the worst flu I can ever recall x 10. After a few days (can't recall how many) the temp started to come down, and by the 5th day the fever broke and dropped below a 100 and my cough subsided. After 8 days or so I was well on the way to recovery and after two-plus weeks I am back to 90% (silver lining dropped 14 Ibs but not a diet I would recommend!).

My wife has moved back in and we are self-isolating and keeping our distance from everyone. All to say, please, please take the lockdown very seriously, I was lucky in as much I had no underlying issues - but even so, this was not a pleasant experience.

I am scheduled to give blood early next week so they can test for antibodies and donate plasma if needed.

They say 80% of those that contract the virus can stay at home and come through this without too many problems. But as my story relays you really don’t want to be one of that 80 %. I still count myself so lucky I didn't become one of the 20% that had to be hospitalized and the 4% that just don't make it.

As I said please reinforce the message to follow all the guidance. We are now wearing face masks whenever we have to leave the house (which is rare) and that seems to be gaining momentum.

Stay safe, healthy and please isolate!
I have several friends in Milwaukee who believe they had COVID 19. I shared your story with them and they all agreed their experience was almost identical to yours.

Thanks for sharing and hope your doing well
Old 04-06-2020, 08:17 AM
Platinum member

good grief...all this did they have Covid or didn't they is stupid. obviously, they had had something which was as miserable as reported covid. in the absence of testing they are just trying to reinforce the need to keep up the social distancing. even if the OP didn't have the actual covid....he obviously had something horrible---and which no one would want and that is out there and can be picked up. I personally welcome all stories from people describing their symptoms because although there are the common symptoms, there have been documented cases that has presented differently. the more knowledge I can get the better.

I had some weird virus at the end of Feb. but didn't present as the most common way but in a way that has been reported. started with sore throat, went to fever and chills, and night sweats, then cough. had routine labs shortly thereafter and my WBC was decimated....very low. So I wonder if it's possible I had it. I hope they come out with the antibody test so people like me can see if I had it.
Closed Thread

Tags
virus, days, started, isolate, temperature

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.