So why do people have such an issue...

Closed Thread
Old 09-08-2019, 05:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
I agree. If you’re not in the neighborhood, you should mind your own businesses.
I understand having complaints handled anonymously but I believe the complaint should have to come from your neighbor s not from someone just passing thru your neighborhood
That's like saying "if you're not a store employee...you shouldn't be allowed to report theft/shop-lifting."

That's just plain silly.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

I honestly don't mind one lawn ornament on a property. Some of them are quite nice and add a bit of whimsy to a property. It is when the homeowner takes it to the next level and adds a frog, then a deer, then a fish, then a bird then a mushroom, etc., etc. You see where I"m going with this. Some folks don't know when to stop and it gives the community a cluttered low class feel. That is not what hubby and I bought in to when we purchased here in The Villages.

We fell in love with the manicured pristine appearance of this community. That appearance is what maintains our property value. From what I have learned, neighborhoods north of 466 are allowed to display lawn ornaments. IMHO, those neighborhoods do not look as nice as those that do not allow the "self expression". Having said that, there is a place for everyone. If you prefer the look of all that "self expression", by all means, live in a neighborhood that allows that. If you prefer the more manicured and pristine (sterile if you will) appearance, by all means live in a neighborhood that does not allow it.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
A common psychological defense mechanism....projection of blame or blame-shifting, may be one scenario that operates.

So, it is the "snitch's" fault (they are thus to blame), when I get caught violating the rules. This belief allows me to avoid taking responsibility for my own actions.

It also allows the violator to shift the focus from their action (i.e.cross in yard) to the nasty person who has no life and turns violators in.
So agree!! This "conversation" reminds me of when we were school kids...people trying to get away with something and then when caught..."it wasn't MY fault, gee why do you keep picking on me?!" We all knew when we moved here and signed on the dotted line that there were "some" rules to follow. I think some people have too much time on their hands and LOVE to complain and find fault in others.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I honestly don't mind one lawn ornament on a property. Some of them are quite nice and add a bit of whimsy to a property. It is when the homeowner takes it to the next level and adds a frog, then a deer, then a fish, then a bird then a mushroom, etc., etc. You see where I"m going with this. Some folks don't know when to stop and it gives the community a cluttered low class feel. That is not what hubby and I bought in to when we purchased here in The Villages.

We fell in love with the manicured pristine appearance of this community. That appearance is what maintains our property value. From what I have learned, neighborhoods north of 466 are allowed to display lawn ornaments. IMHO, those neighborhoods do not look as nice as those that do not allow the "self expression". Having said that, there is a place for everyone. If you prefer the look of all that "self expression", by all means, live in a neighborhood that allows that. If you prefer the more manicured and pristine (sterile if you will) appearance, by all means live in a neighborhood that does not allow it.
Where can I go to learn this?
Old 09-08-2019, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

I agree with the OP. The deed restrictions should be followed and enforced. I don't care who enforces them. If you don't like a deed restriction, then try to have it changed or move.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
A common psychological defense mechanism....projection of blame or blame-shifting, may be one scenario that operates.

So, it is the "snitch's" fault (they are thus to blame), when I get caught violating the rules. This belief allows me to avoid taking responsibility for my own actions.

It also allows the violator to shift the focus from their action (i.e.cross in yard) to the nasty person who has no life and turns violators in.
It depends. If the person is simply having a bad day and looking for someone to take it out on. If someone has a grudge and wants to make someone suffer, if someone wants to feel empowered, etc, etc, etc...

Proponents are suggesting that the reasons for reporting are always altruistic and that is not true. I haven't been here long, but I have driven through a lot of TV. There are some violations, but almost all at inconsequential.

I have lived with HOAs in the past and in almost all cases they are run by little people that want to appear powerful.

The approach of complain based reporting here is a big improvement over the "normal" HOA, but it still isn't perfect.

My point still is, that the point of the covenants is to protect property value and appearance in general, not to nitpick over trivial infractions.

And lets face it, "grumpy old people" can be a PIA - and this place is full of us.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post

Where did you LEARN this information? I live north of 466 and our deed restrictions say no lawn ornaments and our villages look very attractie. I have heard this before, unfortunately people hear these rumors and they become fact. You may be talking about the Historic side of TV which is across 441.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-08-2019, 07:55 AM

What is pertinent is the violation itself, not the reporters motivation. If one focuses on the reasons for reporting, they are blame shifting and moving the issue away from the violation to the existing process of reporting.

The "issue" is the violation. The focus (if any) needs to be why are owners violating, not why are people reporting.

And what is inconsequential to you, may not be to another person.

[QUOTE=Martian;1679518]It depends.

Proponents are suggesting that the reasons for reporting are always altruistic and that is not true. I haven't been here long, but I have driven through a lot of TV. There are some violations, but almost all at inconsequential.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If something is reported and it is not a violation then it will not be penalized.

There are all kinds of "loopholes". Things can be placed under the eaves of the home, against the house. I think that I am most troubled about those who make the crosses the crux of the matter. I don't believe people are against this much loved religious symbol at all. It just is that this as well as the lovely plywood "bend over ladies" are not allowed.

Don't make this a bigger issue than it is. This is not from the "HOA". This is a restriction on the deed of the home. It is wise for all new folks to take the class on just how a CDD functions and what powers that form of governance has. Perhaps this should be done before you buy here.

I love the way this place is run. Beats the heck out of Orlando and Tampa and Miami and etc. etc. etc.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:12 AM

I would say "most" homes older than 4-5 years old are in violation of some sort of deed restriction, failure to get an architectural permit, etc.

If there was a picture (satellite image) of a home and compared to its picture today, there would be some change (paint color, landscape deletion/addition, satellite ant., shade awning, etc., etc.)

So really it is just a matter of whether you have normal, nice neighbors or live on a dead end street(no passers by). I am not talking about a yard filled with junk just normal, everyday things a homeowner should control themselves.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If something is reported and it is not a violation then it will not be penalized.

There are all kinds of "loopholes". Things can be placed under the eaves of the home, against the house. I think that I am most troubled about those who make the crosses the crux of the matter. I don't believe people are against this much loved religious symbol at all. It just is that this as well as the lovely plywood "bend over ladies" are not allowed.

Don't make this a bigger issue than it is. This is not from the "HOA". This is a restriction on the deed of the home. It is wise for all new folks to take the class on just how a CDD functions and what powers that form of governance has. Perhaps this should be done before you buy here.

I love the way this place is run. Beats the heck out of Orlando and Tampa and Miami and etc. etc. etc.
I agree, my point was just that life is not black and white. Stuff happens.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
If you don't live in the neighborhood and the people who actually live there have no problem with what their neighbor has in their yard, why is it any of your business?
I agree

Seems a bit sad that people head to neighborhoods they may never normally visit just to find and report deed violations. Of course, they may have mental issues that we don't know about.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
There is a beauty about TV the way it is. It is pleasant to drive along its well manicured streets. In most cities you have to pay a large premium to live in a similar district.

I agree with lawn ornament restrictions because what is beautiful to one person, can be offensive to another. If you want to express individual taste, this is the wrong place. It’s like a private school either you follow the rules or you’re out. No one is forcing anyone to be here.

And please don’t compare TV to Nazi anything. My parents lived under those folks, and until you see lamp shades made of human skin, we are not there.
I just knew someone would use that analogy ploy. It’s the technique of pitting neighbor against neighbor and it’s divisiveness which is being examined and not lampshades. The responsibility of these reports belongs to community watch or a designated team so the guidelines are applied equitably.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:17 AM

///

Last edited by roob1; 09-08-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:19 AM
Location: Springfield Oh Phoenix Az Melbourne Fl Lexington Ky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
with turning in folks with deed restriction violations.

Seems to me folks moved here in large part because of those deed restrictions. And since most are not enforced unless they are reported I'd think those who make it their duty to help enforce restrictions would be thanked.

Perhaps those who complain of those who help enforce the restrictions are those who break the simple to understand even by a 7 year old rules are upset.

Perhaps those who don't appreciate the folks who don't want our neighborhoods looking like a trailer park filled with degenerates are part of the problem.

Perhaps they just don't like people doing what is right and proper.

My take? Those who complain and continually post about those who keep the villages looking nice are usually in violation of more than one deed restriction.

Keep up the good work in reporting violations!!! If you don't like them you can always move to San Fran or L.A. or Seattle. You'd like it there. No restrictions at all. Watch where you step.

The restrictions are simple and easy to follow. All of them have a purpose. If you don't see the purpose perhaps it's because of the narrow view you take.
Closed Thread

Tags
restrictions, deed, folks, enforce, complain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.