So why do people have such an issue...

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2019, 05:21 AM

I can understand why people could be upset if a place is totally overrun with lawn ornaments but a couple of nicely placed ones actually could 'increase' the value the values of surrounding homes. Not necessarily in money but in real sale time. A nicely appropriated home appeals to people, called curb value.
But what I do not understand if one is such a coward that they can't come forward and look their neighbor in the eye when doing this. If they feel so strongly about a colorful frog that is about 6 inches in height and it makes a potted plant look even better then they should put their name on it.
As they are saying, "We are correct in doing this" then stand up and do it in view.
We live in a Beautiful place but these cowards put more of a STAIN on it than any lawn ornament could ever do.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:57 AM

What a bunch of crap.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:04 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

I moved here nine months ago. I don’t have a clue what the restrictions are? So, I guess I couldn’t report anyone since I would not have any idea what to report? That said, I believe common sense is in order. If someone has a small pelican ornament in their front yard who cares? Now if someone has 20 lawn ornaments in their front yard, then certainly that’s a different thing. I’m too busy enjoying my new life in the villages to be looking for things to report. Again, I’m not even sure what I would report? Yes maybe I need to find out what the restrictions are
Old 09-09-2019, 06:23 AM

To me, there is a huge difference between a tiny white cross or a heron figurine in the flower bed and junk cars up on blocks in the driveway or a gaggle of Disney elves your made in ceramic class on the front lawn. And if you are a Purple Heart recipient and disabled I don't care if your driveway is a foot wider than mine so you can get out of your car better. It is this kind of nitpicking that irritates rational folks. And yes, if you don't live in my neighborhood you need to mind your own business and should have zero say!
Old 09-09-2019, 06:35 AM

I have no problem with the rules. But lets make it fair. Require complaints to be addressed and signed so you can confront your accuser. The system promotes complaints which disrupt neighborhood harmony. If it bothers you, own it! Don't hide behind an anonymous complaint. Especially when I am sure you are not without fault. Cowards!!!
Old 09-09-2019, 06:36 AM

It seems this thread just keeps going round and round. And it is not the first thread on the subject. Apparently some people feel the letter of the rules is all that matters, and others feel the intent of the rules are what matters. All the name calling and vitriol are not going to help.

One observation, this is not unique to TV. It exists all around the country in work places and public places. With HOAs and Laws. It seems we are largely divided into two "types" of people - those that believe strongly that rules should be enforced literally, and those that feel rules should provide direction and the intent should be the main focus.

I don't think "yelling" at each other is going to change anything on this topic. It never has anywhere else...
Old 09-09-2019, 06:50 AM

I've lived in quite a few neighborhoods without deed restrictions. They were all extremely desirable areas. Not a trailer I sight. Houses were keep up with each individual taking personal responsibility for their own property. Values rose and homes sold quickly. We didn't have to have someone tell us what is good or bad taste regarding our homes. Worked out fine. Question? Do you get to face your accusers? Also, what's wrong with a few lawn decorations in the front of the house?
Old 09-09-2019, 06:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
I just knew someone would use that analogy ploy. It’s the technique of pitting neighbor against neighbor and it’s divisiveness which is being examined and not lampshades. The responsibility of these reports belongs to community watch or a designated team so the guidelines are applied equitably.
I don't believe we will ever see your suggestion implemented. Besides the obvious expense of hiring a team to look for infractions, I believe the larger issue is the potential for selective enforcement and the subsequent legal ramifications. With the current complaint driven system, I do not believe there is any potential for selective enforcement as long as Community Standards investigates and enforces the deed restrictions with all complaints. With your suggestion, any infractions that were missed (and there are 62,000 homes in The Villages that would need to be continuously monitored) could be the basis of a subsequent claim of selective enforcement. I have seen this happen.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:59 AM

We all have CC&R's, however, some opt to think they rules do not apply to them. If everyone followed the rules, there would be no problems to report. Also, perhaps Community Standard could go through the neighborhoods and check on violations and speak to the owner.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I don't believe we will ever see your suggestion implemented. Besides the obvious expense of hiring a team to look for infractions, I believe the larger issue is the potential for selective enforcement and the subsequent legal ramifications. With the current complaint driven system, I do not believe there is any potential for selective enforcement as long as Community Standards investigates and enforces the deed restrictions with all complaints. With your suggestion, any infractions that were missed (and there are 62,000 homes in The Villages that would need to be continuously monitored) could be the basis of a subsequent claim of selective enforcement. I have seen this happen.
Oh, it's worse than that. If TV took responsibility (or the districts, or who ever) then they would have to setup yet another entire department to handle explaining why some things are NOT in breach of the rules. Because someone is going to be ****ed that their neighbor is "getting away with breaking the rules".

As it is they only have to do that on the reported cases.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:00 AM

Perhaps they lived by the "rules".
Old 09-09-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I agree with you. Owners sign documents along with 'understanding the CC&R's' when they purchase a house but soon forget and think they are exempt from everything and do as they please. And then the people who report the yards looking like they are in foreclosure and the "horrible neighbors".
Old 09-09-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaligirl View Post
Perhaps they lived by the "rules".
I assume then you believe the rules are so clearly written that there would never be any disputes?

As far as I know if that were possible there would be NO lawyers anywhere.

It is almost impossible to write rules/laws that are not disputed, or that can be clearly applied.

In addition, there are "exceptions" granted, from what I understand. And someone has to make the decision what exceptions are to be granted.

If only life were black and white, sadly there are grays.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
with turning in folks with deed restriction violations.

Seems to me folks moved here in large part because of those deed restrictions. And since most are not enforced unless they are reported I'd think those who make it their duty to help enforce restrictions would be thanked.

Perhaps those who complain of those who help enforce the restrictions are those who break the simple to understand even by a 7 year old rules are upset.

Perhaps those who don't appreciate the folks who don't want our neighborhoods looking like a trailer park filled with degenerates are part of the problem.

Perhaps they just don't like people doing what is right and proper.

My take? Those who complain and continually post about those who keep the villages looking nice are usually in violation of more than one deed restriction.

Keep up the good work in reporting violations!!! If you don't like them you can always move to San Fran or L.A. or Seattle. You'd like it there. No restrictions at all. Watch where you step.

The restrictions are simple and easy to follow. All of them have a purpose. If you don't see the purpose perhaps it's because of the narrow view you take.
Well said! Thank you.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
If you don't live in the neighborhood and the people who actually live there have no problem with what their neighbor has in their yard, why is it any of your business?
Totally agree with this post. Additionally, the law of the land is that we all have the right to face our accusers. This should be above any covenants we signed to keep our neighborhoods "pristine". Change the process!
Closed Thread

Tags
restrictions, deed, folks, enforce, complain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.