STORAGE UNITS

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Default STORAGE UNITS

WHEN WE COME IN SEPTEMBER WE ARE HAVING 2 PODS BROUGHT DOWN WITH ALL OF OUR PERSONAL STUFF. WE WERE TOLD TO USE FORT KNOX STORAGE BECAUSE THEY ARE CLIMATE CONTROLLED, WHICH WE WANT. HAS ANYONE EVER USED THEM AND WERE YOU SATISFIED? THANKS KAR GUY
Old 08-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Founder
Default Re: STORAGE UNITS

I have some experience with this. I have a motorcycle trailer that we stored at Fort Knox. Every time I went there, the gate was wide open. I inquired how it could be a secured site if the gate is wide open. They said that there is somebody in the office all day. I then asked if they would know if somebody came in, hooked up to my trailer and took it away. They didn't have an answer. I went there over the weekend and the gate was open. Their answer was that lightening damages the control unit. I took my trailer elsewhere. The last time I drove by there, the gate was still open. The people are nice enough but an open gate is not a secure gate.

I took it to Oxford self storage. Everytime I went in there, there was another vehicle blocking me in. They would have to move the offending vehicle so I could get mine. I went to the office one day and said, "what should I do on a weekend if my trailer is blocked in." The woman behind the counter looked me in the face and said....quote......"The mentality of you people." I was absolutely flabbergasted. I said, "what did you just say?" She repeated it. That moment, I demanded a refund, got it, hooked up my trailer and took it to Villages Storage on 466 where it has been for nearly a year without incident. I cannot ever recommend that anybody ever use Oxford Self Storage.

JLK
Old 08-08-2007, 02:09 PM

We are renting a 10X10 storage shed that has AC in Lake City. It's $70. + tax. When we arrive on the first, we will leave our belongings in the shed and also be able to drop the u-haul trailer right at the same location. It sounded good to us and they aren't out of the way. Lin
Old 08-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Gold member

Kar guy
Would you mind telling me about the Pods? Is that the method where they drop off containers at your home and then you pack them? If so, how does it compare in price with the traditional moving methods?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:40 PM

YES, THE PODS ARE 7X6X7 AND ALL DONE THROUGH U.P.S. GO TO www.gosmartmove.com OR CALL 800-963-0204. MY ORIGINAL COST TO HAVE A MOVING COMPANY WAS $5,000++++ WITH ME DOING EVERYTHING IT IS WITH THE PODS ABOUT $2700. HOPE THIS HELPS.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Veteran member

Kar - do you have to load and unload yourself?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:50 PM

FOR THE PRICE I QUOTED I DO EVERYTHING. THEY ALSO HAVE IT WHERE YOU HAVE THEM DO IT FOR MORE MONEY. EITHER WAY IT IS A GREAT SAVINGS IN THE $1,000S.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Veteran member

That's cool! I am not taking much from home. Starting out fresh. Kids have dibs on furniture here. Wondered how I would get boxes of things " I can't get rid of" down there. Couldn't quite see me driving a truck! A possibility! Thanks!

becky
Old 08-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Send the boxes Fed Ex ground.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Veteran member

Thanks- but I do have some pieces I want to move. Just sounded to me like an alternative.

Becky
Old 08-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Gold member

Thanks Kar Guy,
We will have mostly personal stuff, books and some kitchen equipment, along with a few pieces of furniture. I am sure we can handle packing those.
I will definately look into the pods. A neighbor used them to move one town away. I had no idea they went long distances.
It is a real asset to have this forum, I have learned a lot and expect to pick up some more hints before we arrive for good in the late Fall. Coming down to TV in mid-September to buy. With any luck we will find something and not have to rent and continue the search.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Veteran member

Another question Kar Guy. I get it that you have to load yourself and then they pick up the truck and transport it right? I assume they do. But then what happens on the other end? You get people (family, friends) to help you load but when you get to the TV, then what?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:21 PM

NANCE2539, WITH THE PODS AFTER THEY GET FILLED, YOU CALL THE COMPANY. THEY PICK THEM UP AND HAVE THEM DELIVERED WHEREVER YOU WANT AND WHAT DAY YOU WANT IT THERE. AGAIN GO TO THE WEBSITE . IT IS REALLY GREAT. WE ARE GOING TO HAVE OUR 1 OR 2 PODS DELIVERED TO A STORAGE UNIT WHICH AT THAT POINT THEY WILL PUT THE PODS INSIDE TILL I EMPTY THEM. IF I WAS MOVING TO MY NEW HOME THEY WOULD PUT THEM IN THE DRIVEWAY. KAR GUY.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.