solar attic fans?

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Sage
Default solar attic fans?

I have seen many of these installed in TV lately.

Does anyone have any real facts as to the monthly savings? Does it allow the house to get cooler quicker at night?

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Veteran member

Russ,

I bought a pre-owned home and it already had a solar powered attic fan in it. I have a comfortable temperature in my garage even on the hottest days. I have no idea of how much it saves in energy but it costs nothing to run a solar powered fan. I would have bought one if it were not already here. I also have several solar tubes which are wonderful inventions.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:20 PM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Russ,

I bought a pre-owned home and it already had a solar powered attic fan in it. I have a comfortable temperature in my garage even on the hottest days. I have no idea of how much it saves in energy but it costs nothing to run a solar powered fan. I would have bought one if it were not already here. I also have several solar tubes which are wonderful inventions.
Russ, I put one in my villa. Only cost was fan. I don't know savings but it has helped in garage. I also leave garage door slightly open to pull air in. Seems to keep house a bit cooler.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
I have seen many of these installed in TV lately.

Does anyone have any real facts as to the monthly savings? Does it allow the house to get cooler quicker at night?

Thanks.
Russ,

no real facts but it has to bring the attic temperatures down 20-30 degrees during the hottest periods. You need to install 1 fan for every 1000 sq feet of the home under roof, so almost all homes should have 2 and some will need 3. We have installed two and would do it again. I was told by the contractor that it keeps the moisture lower in the winter in the attic, not sure I agree with that.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrifats View Post
Russ, I put one in my villa. Only cost was fan. I don't know savings but it has helped in garage. I also leave garage door slightly open to pull air in. Seems to keep house a bit cooler.
I'm trying to understand how this works... Does the solar fan pull air into the garage? Do you have a opening in the garage ceiling so that the fans pull out garage air? Thanks.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Default Solar Fans

I have been on the fence about installing a solar fan(s) because I've heard mixed opinions from friends living in our our TV community. Some see doing so as a benefit and others think its a waste of our money. For that reason, I remain on the fence.

I believe this forum offers a wealth of value to its members and I'll continue to monitor comments from those members who have installed solar fans. Keep cool!

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 06-09-2011, 10:20 PM

What is the average cost to have these installed? Do they only work on the attic space? Or in the area over the garage help the attice and the garage?

N. Reading, MA; Hampstead, NH; last stop SummerChase Cottages,TV!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Gold member
Default Solar fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
I'm trying to understand how this works... Does the solar fan pull air into the garage? Do you have a opening in the garage ceiling so that the fans pull out garage air? Thanks.
We had one installed in our Villa a few years ago. We also had vents installed in our garage door. We chock open ( a few inches) the access to the attic in the garage. The solar fan can then suck the hot air from the garage and it will be replaced via the vents.
Works great.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:32 AM

How long will these solar fans work before they need replaced. Are the solar panels better than what you find on the solar lights for the yards. I've had attic fans before but they have always been wired in.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Gold member

I have solar fans installed on my current home. There is no need for an opening into the garage if you just want to cool the attic. You would need an opening from the attic into the garage if you want to cool the garage as well and may need an additional fan installed to increase the air flow volume.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtime View Post
How long will these solar fans work before they need replaced. Are the solar panels better than what you find on the solar lights for the yards. I've had attic fans before but they have always been wired in.
I was told 10 years by the dealer but only have had them for 1 1/2 years.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I had the solar guys install two some four years ago. One fan sits right over our storage area. i can't say with any degree of certainty that the attic is cooler during the summer months because hot is hot....but i do believe it helps.

I had an overhed screen door installed for my gaage and can say that it was an excellent investment .
Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Sage

Does the fan run every day of the year? In other words, is their a thermostat so that the fan would not run during cold days in January and February?
Old 06-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Gold member

My two solar fans have been installed since 1997 and have had no problems. They run whenever there is sufficient sun light. There is no thermostat or on/off switch on the ones I have.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I had the solar guys install two some four years ago. One fan sits right over our storage area. i can't say with any degree of certainty that the attic is cooler during the summer months because hot is hot....but i do believe it helps.

I had an overhed screen door installed for my gaage and can say that it was an excellent investment .
We are moving down this week. Could you provide the contractor who installed the screen. This is going to be on the to do list.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.