Solar Energy In TV

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2019, 10:03 AM
Default Solar Energy In TV

I recently installed a solar system to my home which should cover 90 to 95 percent of my demand and I would be
happy to discuss my experience if there is anyone out there thinking about solar

For those moving into the new areas of The Villages this might be something to consider as your roof is new and you may be a bit younger than me as payback is just under 10 yearsl

A couple of things I learned...
Forget those zero down offers, paying cash drastically reduces the system costs
Look closely at the warranty, in my case I have 25 years on everything including labor
Buy the most efficient panels and digital inverters suited for Florida weather (high temps limit production)

In case anyone asks, I am not selling anything, just passing along my experience
Old 10-07-2019, 10:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

More details please. Your home style (frame or block) age, square footage. Any significant energy consumers (pool, cooled Lanai). Average Kwh per month/year before solar. What temp do you cool your home to? Are you full time?

How much is generated? How much surplus is sold back to SECO?

What size system do you have, what direction does it face?

Do you also have natural gas?

What sort (brand/model) energy management system do you use? I have reams of consumption data for a non solar home. That is what is driving my line of questions.

Last edited by Toymeister; 10-07-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:19 AM

Jimbo,

Congrats. I just moved to the Village's from Maryland and I'm in the process of installing a new solar system as well. It'll be my second system as I installed one in Maryland a few years ago.

Both times I debated whether to install the system as it's a chunk of change and electricity prices are low. I decided twice now to take the plunge not just for the fiscal reasons, but that it's the right thing to do if you're concerned about the environment.

I also drive an electric car that will be charged by the sun.

I live in a courtyard villa (1650sqft) with a pool. The panels will be facing toward the west. Of course the best exposure is to the south. The interesting point I learned was even though the panels will face south, they will be as efficient as my panels southern facing panels in Maryland because of the lower latitude.

Installation should begin soon (I'll post pictures).
Old 10-07-2019, 11:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethomeru View Post
Jimbo,

Congrats. I just moved to the Village's from Maryland and I'm in the process of installing a new solar system as well. It'll be my second system as I installed one in Maryland a few years ago.

Both times I debated whether to install the system as it's a chunk of change and electricity prices are low. I decided twice now to take the plunge not just for the fiscal reasons, but that it's the right thing to do if you're concerned about the environment.

I also drive an electric car that will be charged by the sun.

I live in a courtyard villa (1650sqft) with a pool. The panels will be facing toward the west. Of course the best exposure is to the south. The interesting point I learned was even though the panels will face south, they will be as efficient as my panels southern facing panels in Maryland because of the lower latitude.

Installation should begin soon (I'll post pictures).
I used the East side due to afternoon rain storms. Did not have any statistics to make the decision.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:22 PM
Platinum member

I can get the hours sunlight and I have all the consumption data that I need. What I am lacking is my 5KwH unit generated XX kwh during these hours for a certain month. It is probably data that no one is tracking.

The reason the hours are important is surplus energy is sold to SECO at wholesale and purchased at retail.

With all this I can get an independent idea of the pay off. I prefer to diy than rely upon an on line estimator or someone in solar sales.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I can get the hours sunlight and I have all the consumption data that I need. What I am lacking is my 5KwH unit generated XX kwh during these hours for a certain month. It is probably data that no one is tracking.

The reason the hours are important is surplus energy is sold to SECO at wholesale and purchased at retail.

With all this I can get an independent idea of the pay off. I prefer to diy than rely upon an on line estimator or someone in solar sales.
Not sure what you are looking for, this site might help.
SolarEdge
Old 10-07-2019, 05:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo120 View Post
I recently installed a solar system to my home which should cover 90 to 95 percent of my demand and
Check back in a year or two and update us on how this works out for you
Old 10-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,680 Times in 5,230 Posts

I think solar panels are great if you are doing it for the environment, but I am skeptical about the economics. I would be interested in knowing who calculated the 10 year payback period and what it includes. Does it include the lost 10 year investment value for the upfront cost? What rate of return was used? Does it include projected future electricity costs? Does it include repairs and maintenance, especially if you have a roof leak? Are the panels covered by a homeowners policy? I would also like to know how the solar panels affect the market value of the house. It would be interesting to hear an experienced Realtor's opinion about that. An interesting topic.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think solar panels are great if you are doing it for the environment, but I am skeptical about the economics. I would be interested in knowing who calculated the 10 year payback period and what it includes. Does it include the lost 10 year investment value for the upfront cost? What rate of return was used? Does it include projected future electricity costs? Does it include repairs and maintenance, especially if you have a roof leak? Are the panels covered by a homeowners policy? I would also like to know how the solar panels affect the market value of the house. It would be interesting to hear an experienced Realtor's opinion about that. An interesting topic.
About 3 o4 years ago the payback was mentioned at 11 years by a few people. Costs are probably a little lower now. But I calculated about 13 years to 18 years. 18 years included 5,000 for maintenance and repairs - primarily cost of removing for a new roof. Did not increase or decrease electric rates. Add $60 or so in annual insurance costs. I compared the return to the interest I could earn on a bond (5 to 6% not what they pay now). I sort of concluded it might be a breakeven but investments in stock could (or maybe not) do better.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,680 Times in 5,230 Posts

FYI, I did an online calculation for my house using solar-estimate.org. The results showed that the upfront cost, after the tax credit, would be $12,489. This amount is supposed to be an average cost from four local solar contractors. The payback period is 16 years, and the total life cycle energy cost savings over 25 years would be $4,647. But, they did not include any potential investment return that I would forfeit by not being able to invest my $12,489. They also did not include any repair, maintenance, or insurance costs. So, I cannot see how a solar system would make financial sense for my house. Also, I think the 30 percent Federal tax credit is due to expire this year.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
FYI, I did an online calculation for my house using solar-estimate.org. The results showed that the upfront cost, after the tax credit, would be $12,489. This amount is supposed to be an average cost from four local solar contractors. The payback period is 16 years, and the total life cycle energy cost savings over 25 years would be $4,647. But, they did not include any potential investment return that I would forfeit by not being able to invest my $12,489. They also did not include any repair, maintenance, or insurance costs. So, I cannot see how a solar system would make financial sense for my house. Also, I think the 30 percent Federal tax credit is due to expire this year.
Having and maintaining grass for a lawn doesn't give anyone any return at all, compared with having and maintaining a Better Homes and Gardens quality rock garden with cactii, but people do it all the time.

Sometimes people do things because it's the right thing to do. Sometimes they do it because the idea is appealing. Sometimes they do it because hey - if your neighborhood's electricity goes out, and you're not on the grid to begin with - you'll be the only one in the neighborhood who doesn't have to fire up the generator to keep the lights on and the refrigerator cold.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:08 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Here is the flaw in on line calculators that I have used.

They assume every watt generated is offset by a watt that would have been purchased. It is not as measured by dollars. You exceed your use during solar noon and sell to the utility at 7 cents a KwH but when you need electricity at midnight you pay 11.7 cents.

To a degree, with this knowledge, you can avoid some, but not all delta. Example charge your electric car at noon, super cool your house, run water heater.

The math changes the economics of purchase, if you thrive on facts, as I do.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

I can not wrap my head around all the fiscal aspects of a home solar system. I do care about the environment as I recycle diligently. But....for me, the solar panels on home roofs are an eyesore. I do not like what they do to the appearance of homes. We will never install one of these systems. But that's just me.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:07 AM

Great discussion, glad there are others out there looking at solar

To start your journey get your last year's electric bill and get a calculation from PVWatts Calculator of potential power production and to size your unit (This is a government site where you can select historical solar radiation data from near your home, I used data from under a mile away) I paid just under $2500 per KWH for my top end system.

As far as panel placement, put as many as possible on the southern exposure and the rest on the east side as afternoon storms make the western exposure less productive ! Every solar installer will ask for your electric bills for the last year and be able to project how many panels will fit where by using Google Earth. My installer, Unicity, provides a cell phone (not WiFi) based system where I can look at each panel performance and daily usage and production data. So far I am selling a little more back to SECO than I am using.

Energy Sage is an excellent site to learn about the different panels available. I purchased the most efficient panels for Florida Panasonic with EnPhase digital inverters. One caution, don't have Energy Sage send contractors to you because if you deal direct your price may be cheaper. I found excellent contractors thru the Panasonic Site which lists their best contractors.

On the question of payback, I did not consider the lost investment cost of my purchase. Nor did I figure anything for maintenance as my warranty covers product, labor, and roof penetrations for 25 years. My thought was that I am locking in the cost of electricity and figure my next car, if I have to buy one, will be electric. Unless your system size is very large (I think over 6.2) you do not have to carry any extra insurance. Your homeowners should cover it.

Also be aware that the 30% tax credit is scheduled to be reduced in 2020 not eliminated. My understanding is that resale is higher but I do not plan to care about that 20 years from now.

Thanks Jimbo120
Old 10-08-2019, 07:26 AM

I just signed a contract for 34 panels and yes of course I could have taken the money and invested it but then you need to take in consideration the risk/reward factor and if you are already a investor then solar is just another way to invest . I will bring your bills down as soon as it is hooked up to the grid . also take a look at your utility bills from a year ago and even a couple years ago if you still have them ,like clockwork the rates increase yearly how much will you pay 10 years from now . D uke Energy is building Solar fields (why do you think that is? ) My system should be paid back in about 8 years so what if it takes 10 Every month I will be putting my Energy invoices in my desk with a big smile on my face ,,,,,,,,, will you ? just my 2 cents
enjoy your day
Closed Thread

Tags
solar, experience, case, system, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.