Solar light for flag pole?

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Platinum member
Default Solar light for flag pole?

Does anyone have a solar light on a flagpole and if so, is it bright enough? We are getting a flagpole installed tomorrow and can't decide what lighting is best.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The bright enough issue would bother me. I have yet to see a solar light that really cast enough light to be of use to really fend off the darkness.

We will have to ask Talk Host. He is the expert on keeping out darkness.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Platinum member

That is what bothers me, too. Most solar light's beam I have seen wouldn't reach the 20 ft to the flag.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Platinum member

We have a solar light for our flagpole. It's a ring that mounts above the flag and below the eagle. It has LI batteries, but I don't think it's bright enough to do any good. We also have a dusk to dawn yard light that puts out enough light that I don't care whether the solar works or not. We will be bringing our flagpole with us to TV.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Platinum member

Thanks Greg, for the first hand information about solar lights.

Some have low voltage or 110 lights under the eaves of their house, aimed at the flag. I need to get out the rules and regs, because I think I may have read that all exterior lights have to be under the eaves except the light in front yard. Would also have to aim carefully so that it lights the flag, not the neighbors yard.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Platinum member

Wouldn't the front yard light be plenty?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Wouldn't the front yard light be plenty?
No. It does not light up the flag properly.

The Flag Code says

(a) It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed 24 hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.

The code makes no distinction between residential and non residential settings. The code is silent on the meaning of "properly illuminated." Here is what The American Legion says on its web site regarding that point:

"The American Legion interprets " proper illumination" as a light specifically placed to illuminate the flag (preferred) or having a light source sufficient to illuminate the flag so it is recognizable as such by the casual observer."

My flood light is attached to the lamp post and goes on/off with the regular sensor. It does not cause problems with the neighbor as it points at the flag and not his garage. Some people have a light put at the flagpole pointing up. That means you have to dig a trench and bury the electric line from the lamp post to the flag pole area. That is not a big problem. All you have to do is put the electric line through a PVC pipe x number of inches below the ground. This probably requires a permit but who every you hire to do this would get the permit - unless you do it yourself. Then you need to get the permit.

I know that I had to have an architectural review for the flag pole and they would let you know about the wiring.

Hope this helps.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.