Solar swimming pool recommendation.

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2021, 12:23 PM
Default Solar swimming pool recommendation.

Looking for recommendations and approximate price to install a solar pool heating system.
(24x12 pool)
Old 11-24-2021, 12:56 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

There have been previous threads regarding this subject. Use “search” to retrieve the previous threads as they may be useful in addition to comments you might receive here. I know some pool owners in the past said solar wasn’t adequate to keep the pool warm enough for them in the winter. Others have questioned the cost benefit - but to each his own. The pools I’ve had in the past I heated with natural gas but not everybody in The Villages has natural gas available to them.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1965 View Post
Looking for recommendations and approximate price to install a solar pool heating system.
(24x12 pool)
With the drop in the price of photovoltaic panels over the past five years it is now more efficient to use these rather than the old-style method for heating a pool. Any surplus electricity generated can then be used in the home.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
With the drop in the price of photovoltaic panels over the past five years it is now more efficient to use these rather than the old-style method for heating a pool. Any surplus electricity generated can then be used in the home.
I dont think that is how solar works when hearing pool water. The water goes through a series of tubes on the roof, where the water collects heat from the sun.
The solar isn’t used to power a heater, it actually heats the water.
No residual energy is collected to power a home.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:59 PM

Superior Solar Florida 800-329-1301
They installed a Helicol Solar System on the roof for approx. $4500 seven years ago. The installation was very professional and clean looking with the PVC down the side to the pool pump. Our system has operated all year long since then with no repairs or problems whatsoever. The system easily withstood the winds of Hurricane Irma. David Spanier is the guy who will visit your home and price out the entire job. Do some research on Helicol Solar Systems versus the standard rubber solar systems. You'll see why Helicol is the best!
Old 11-24-2021, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

OP, also consider the age of your roof, if you will be replacing in the near future, I would hold off on the solar heating until the new roof is installed, otherwise you will probably need to have the solar removed and reinstalled, at your cost. BTW, Jacks solar did the neighbors several years ago, that was 3 owners ago, but I do not recall any of the owners complaining about the solar install. There were problems with a close in lightning strike and damage to the computer and pumps, but that was separate from the install.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
I dont think that is how solar works when hearing pool water. The water goes through a series of tubes on the roof, where the water collects heat from the sun.
The solar isn’t used to power a heater, it actually heats the water.
No residual energy is collected to power a home.
That's what I'm referring to as the "old" system.

Photovoltaic panels is the preferred route nowadays
Old 11-24-2021, 07:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, also consider the age of your roof, if you will be replacing in the near future, I would hold off on the solar heating until the new roof is installed, otherwise you will probably need to have the solar removed and reinstalled, at your cost.
Great advice here.
Even in a new build, remember when reroofing those panels will need to be removed.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1965 View Post
(24x12 pool)
Call Jacks Solar. Decent price. System we have is now 10 years old and whenever there is a minor issue they always come out and don't charge me. Ron
Old 11-25-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy n Ron View Post
Call Jacks Solar. Decent price. System we have is now 10 years old and whenever there is a minor issue they always come out and don't charge me. Ron
I'll second the vote for Jack's. They have been around for a long time - were the only game in town for some of those years.
Having said that, we found that the only real benefit of solar heating a pool here are a couple extra weeks at the end and beginning of pool "season". In winter there is not enough sun to heat the pool to a comfortable temp (for us, others may disagree). If you really want a warm pool in December/Jan you'll need a propane (or Nat gas) heater and it will be quite expensive to heat.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
I'll second the vote for Jack's. They have been around for a long time - were the only game in town for some of those years.
Having said that, we found that the only real benefit of solar heating a pool here are a couple extra weeks at the end and beginning of pool "season". In winter there is not enough sun to heat the pool to a comfortable temp (for us, others may disagree). If you really want a warm pool in December/Jan you'll need a propane (or Nat gas) heater and it will be quite expensive to heat.
During low temps in 40's and 50's and extended cold spells think minimum $10 per day to recover and maintain comfortable swimming temps.
Then there is that getting out of a nice warm pool into 50 degree air.....no thanx!!!!
Old 11-25-2021, 09:11 AM

Go with Jack’s! Long time provider to The Villages. Very knowledgeable. Do not go with All Solar Energy/Sunologi. Trust me.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Solar, Lights and More in Ocala installed our solar system years ago.
Very reliable, competitive and very prompt after the sale customer service.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:17 AM
Platinum member

Another vote for Jack's Solar. I just called him about a leak and am on the service list - this after 11 years. We are due for a new roof so know that we will have the solar panels as an additional cost but well worth it in my view.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:00 AM
Default not worth it

Had solar installed during the pool build 2012. Old style, water tubes on the roof. It works best during July. Of course, don't need it in July. A CLEAR south facing install is best. N-E-W never get enough Sun during Nov-Apr. (Sun tracks South during those months)

Waste of $$$ on my install. Will have it removed when we replace the roof.

FWIW.... YMWV Your milage will very.

Carl
Closed Thread

Tags
pool, solar, swimming, recommendation, recommendations

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.