Solar tubes

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Platinum member
Default Solar tubes

We have an Iris in Buttonwood. Because the lanai is an extension of the living room area, the living room doesn't get much sunlight. Yes, this can be a good thing. Less furniture fade from sun, cooler temps etc. But we would like to have the room a little more sunny. It appears solar tubes are the way to go. Does anyone have solar tubes in living room of an Iris? If so, is it possible to stop over within the next week or so to check it out. I don't want to waste my $$$ if they don't do the trick.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
We have an Iris in Buttonwood. Because the lanai is an extension of the living room area, the living room doesn't get much sunlight. Yes, this can be a good thing. Less furniture fade from sun, cooler temps etc. But we would like to have the room a little more sunny. It appears solar tubes are the way to go. Does anyone have solar tubes in living room of an Iris? If so, is it possible to stop over within the next week or so to check it out. I don't want to waste my $$$ if they don't do the trick.
Tom,

We just put in a 14" Solar tube in our Jasmine, which was also a little dark. The product is quite amazing and changed the room completely. Do not know about an Iris and your particular layout. The Solar people indicate there is no heat or uv rays from the tube, do not understand how that is but accept that it is accurate. The price was reasonable and was done within 1 1/2 hours was no mess.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones190 View Post
Tom,

We just put in a 14" Solar tube in our Jasmine, which was also a little dark. The product is quite amazing and changed the room completely. Do not know about an Iris and your particular layout. The Solar people indicate there is no heat or uv rays from the tube, do not understand how that is but accept that it is accurate. The price was reasonable and was done within 1 1/2 hours was no mess.
I believe the Jasmine is the same layout as the Iris. The difference the Iris is concrete.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Veteran member

Jasmine is the same as the Wisteria except Jasmine is stucco. Lily is the vinyl of the Iris.

Becky
Old 04-24-2011, 10:24 AM

Actually the Lilac is the wood framed version of the Iris. The Lily is very similar to the Iris. And, for your purpose, the living, kitchen and lanai areas are the same as the Iris. Maybe someone with a Lily has installed a Solar Tube in the living room.

Last edited by Chopper; 04-24-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-24-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Tom,

We have a similar issue with an overhang over the lanai causinig our kitchen to be on the shadowy/dark side. Any recommendations on where to go for a solar tube? I did see a place on my way to Ocala on the left, I forget which main route it was. I'm still not fully acquainted with the whole area.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Solar tubes

Tom I put 2 in the living room of the Jasmine. You can stop over anytime
Old 04-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

Tom, I live in Bonnybrook and put two in. U can come over any time, just leave me an email and I will get back to u.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfermike22 View Post
We have a similar issue with an overhang over the lanai causinig our kitchen to be on the shadowy/dark side. Any recommendations on where to go for a solar tube? I did see a place on my way to Ocala on the left, I forget which main route it was. I'm still not fully acquainted with the whole area.
The Solar Guys, 352-307-7077, Josh.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Default Solar Tubes

We are also interested in the solar tubes and found two vendors at the art fair yesterday in SS. I believe that it is also going on today. Hope this helps!
Mrs DB
Old 04-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Bogie View Post
We are also interested in the solar tubes and found two vendors at the art fair yesterday in SS. I believe that it is also going on today. Hope this helps!
Mrs DB
Yes, DB. I spoke to The Solar Guys today and I set up an appointment to have one installed. Also thinking of going the solar attic fans as well. Ship - an early reply said he used 2 solar tubes. Was hoping to get away with one. I was hoping to get away with $1500 for everything but it looks like I might need two fans and two solars crossing over the 2K line. OUCH...
Old 04-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Platinum member

The Solar Guys do a pretty good job, no mess, etc., but I their prices seem a little high. Anybody find a good company that will put in a 12" lite for less than $459?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post
The Solar Guys do a pretty good job, no mess, etc., but I their prices seem a little high. Anybody find a good company that will put in a 12" lite for less than $459?
The price for a 14" light is $529. I thought it was high but what do I know?

The attic fans were $459
Old 04-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

All solar tubes are not made equally. Do your homework and do not jump at the lowest price. Find out how much light is actually refracted into your space.

We used the Solar Guys are are highly pleased. However, do make sure they scoot the loose insulation back around the area where the tube was installed. They move it aside during installation, and sometimes forget to move it back.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
The Solar Guys, 352-307-7077, Josh.
Thanks Josh.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.