Solar tubes

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2011, 02:11 PM
nkrifats

Used Solar Guys for 3 tubes and solar fan in our Patio Villa. Outstanding job and am very pleased with results.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Sage

As an add-on to this thread, though a tad off-topic (apologies!!):

The resale we bought had a couple of solar tubes already installed - one was in the kitchen. The prior owners had the kitchen tube installed to take the place of a ceiling light that was there. They had a light bulb integrated into the solar tube that would be controlled by the wall switch that was already in place for the removed ceiling light. Gives the benefit of having both the solar tube for daytime light as well as a traditional 'switched' light bulb for other times. One less "thing" on your ceiling!

Bill
Old 04-24-2011, 06:47 PM

Good to hear positive feedback regarding solar tubes. Hubbie wants to have a couple installed, guess I'll go along with it.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Location: Too many to mention, then Loveland, OH; Poinciana then Fernandina!

Approximately how long does it take to get an an appointment with the Solar Guys?
We'll be down for a week in May, do I need to make an appointment now? It looks like we'll be back in June, but I'd like to take care of it in May.
"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big " Erica Jong
Old 04-24-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoPAA View Post
Approximately how long does it take to get an an appointment with the Solar Guys?
We'll be down for a week in May, do I need to make an appointment now? It looks like we'll be back in June, but I'd like to take care of it in May.
We ordered late March for installation April 11th, I think they were booked for about a week at that time. Give them a call or e-mail them they are very responsive, remember they need to get a building permit prior to the work.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Veteran member
Default Solar Guys or Solar Lights?

We were up at SS and saw the 2 solar tube vendors. I was going to go with Solar Guys but now wonder about Solar Lights as they have a longer (25 yr) warranty and seem to have a good reflective system. Has anyone used Solar Lights? Also thinking of an attic fan and again the warranty is longer. Thanks for any info.

LW888
Old 04-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Solar Guys

I went with Solar Guys. I have 5 solar tubes and 2 solar attic fans. Very neat, on time and a professional job. Have recomended them to several people and they're all satisfied as well.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
Yes, DB. I spoke to The Solar Guys today and I set up an appointment to have one installed. Also thinking of going the solar attic fans as well. Ship - an early reply said he used 2 solar tubes. Was hoping to get away with one. I was hoping to get away with $1500 for everything but it looks like I might need two fans and two solars crossing over the 2K line. OUCH...
Tom, it sounds like you are in Buttonwood fulltime. Our home in Buttonwood wil be ready mid June. We are also interested in getting attic fans. Let me know your thoughts. See you soon.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:59 AM
Veteran member

Oh Chopper you are right! Lilac is frame version of Iris. I used Solar Guys and have been very happy with them. Put 3 in and an attic fan. Coming Friday to install another in kitchen. Solar Guys are very good!

Becky
Old 04-25-2011, 07:05 AM

I called last Thurs. and they gave an estimate over the phone.
The tech is coming next Monday to look and make sure where
we're thinking about the 3 will be the right placement. So about
10 days. I don't know when the installation will be. They've already
ordered the building permit.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
We were up at SS and saw the 2 solar tube vendors. I was going to go with Solar Guys but now wonder about Solar Lights as they have a longer (25 yr) warranty and seem to have a good reflective system. Has anyone used Solar Lights? Also thinking of an attic fan and again the warranty is longer. Thanks for any info.

LW888
I've used Solar Lights for 1 attic fan and 3 solar tubes. In addition they sold me a device that sits on my hot water heater and gives me instant hot water in my bathroom. I used to have to run the water for a while to get it hot. In any case I was happy with the work they did but don't know whether they are more expensive or less expensive than Solar Guys.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LELANDJANE View Post
I called last Thurs. and they gave an estimate over the phone.
The tech is coming next Monday to look and make sure where
we're thinking about the 3 will be the right placement. So about
10 days. I don't know when the installation will be. They've already
ordered the building permit.
The Solar Guys are coming May 3rd to do the solar fans and tubes. Not sure if I will need 1 or 2 tubes but I will make that decision after I see Skip's setup tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
I went with Solar Guys. I have 5 solar tubes and 2 solar attic fans. Very neat, on time and a professional job. Have recomended them to several people and they're all satisfied as well.
Skip,

I would love to have a peek as well!

Thx,

k
Old 04-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Platinum member
Default attic fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Oh Chopper you are right! Lilac is frame version of Iris. I used Solar Guys and have been very happy with them. Put 3 in and an attic fan. Coming Friday to install another in kitchen. Solar Guys are very good!

Becky
Hi Becky. I am trying to save a few bucks. Can I get away with one attic fan in my Iris?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

I have a Wisteria and only needed one fan. But with an Iris I think you would need two fans. Call and ask them!

Becky

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.