Solution: Waiver of Amenity Fees?

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2019, 06:40 AM
Default Solution: Waiver of Amenity Fees?

Given the exponential growth of the Villages; in order to participate in many very popular Resident volunteer instructor classes such as Yoga, Stretch, Water Aerobics etc (insert your own choices) I have found it necessary to arrive at least 40 to 60 minutes early to secure an available space. Some are so crowded that Spiderman skills would be handy.Having benefited from and witnessed many Resident volunteer Instructors talent, time spent, skills, expertise, and devotion to their subject matter; what better way to increase the available number of skilled Resident instructors by considering a Waiver of Amenity fee for those individuals. Recreational employees facilitate the use of specific areas for the Resident Instructors, attendance is always electronically monitored. Villages should consider a solution. (Note- I'm not an instructor or married to one)
Old 01-09-2019, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Nope. I don't like that idea.

Volunteers here are like the rest of our age group, they have old fashioned values and we so appreciate them.

Things are crowded all over Florida. This is the high season.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-09-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

I don't like it either. If they got paid, they wouldn't be volunteers. And, attendance is not always electronically monitored.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:34 AM
Sage

First of all, The Villages' growth has been fairly linear, not exponential, at approximately 2200 (+/-) new homes per year for about the last 10 years.

I agree that this time of year there is more demand for classes and you need to arrive early. Your suggestion of waiving the amenities fee for instructors has some issues. There are several thousand rec volunteers. Trying to sort out who should and shouldn't be given a waiver would be a mess that I doubt anyone would want to tackle. For example, there are those who put in a CD for an exercise class and those who actually teach a class. Would both be given waivers? How about softball managers and assistant softball managers? How about the ride leaders and sweeps for the cycling clubs? How about those who run non-exercise clubs? Is there a minimum level of attendance required for waiver of the amenities fee? This would require strict accounting. I don't see the CDDs taking this on.

When we had the LLC, residents had the option of paying for an exercise class and were guaranteed a spot. The instructors for those classes were paid. Unfortunately the LLC replacement, the Enrichment Academy, is more modest in it's offerings.

My wife teaches a class and it would certainly be nice if our amenities fee was waived. I just don't see it happening because there is little, if any, motivation/incentive for implementing this suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward III View Post
Given the exponential growth of the Villages; in order to participate in many very popular Resident volunteer instructor classes such as Yoga, Stretch, Water Aerobics etc (insert your own choices) I have found it necessary to arrive at least 40 to 60 minutes early to secure an available space. Some are so crowded that Spiderman skills would be handy.Having benefited from and witnessed many Resident volunteer Instructors talent, time spent, skills, expertise, and devotion to their subject matter; what better way to increase the available number of skilled Resident instructors by considering a Waiver of Amenity fee for those individuals. Recreational employees facilitate the use of specific areas for the Resident Instructors, attendance is always electronically monitored. Villages should consider a solution. (Note- I'm not an instructor or married to one)

Last edited by biker1; 01-09-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Nope
Old 01-09-2019, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Do you know for sure the issue is lack of instructors ? This place in general has people falling all over each other to be volunteers. Could it be a lack of facilities for a particular item such as a sports pool. That is a limited commodity. Line dancing usually requires the biggest room in a rec center. Another question have you tried doing your activity at other facilities ? As an example a large portion of TV population I'll bet does not even know where Mulberry or Paradise Rec Center are. PS I like the title of your thread - like a newspaper catch line.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Do you know for sure the issue is lack of instructors ? This place in general has people falling all over each other to be volunteers. Could it be a lack of facilities for a particular item such as a sports pool. That is a limited commodity. Line dancing usually requires the biggest room in a rec center. Another question have you tried doing your activity at other facilities ? As an example a large portion of TV population I'll bet does not even know where Mulberry or Paradise Rec Center are. PS I like the title of your thread - like a newspaper catch line.
Well said. Especially the thoughts on driving up to the older areas. AND the click bait/newspaper catch line.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
It would be a nice gesture, but given the attitudes of so many around here...will probably never happen.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

IMO They will get rid of the programs before amenities fees, just be thankful you have lots of options here, too crowed at one rec center move down or up to next one. I applaud all the volunteers for their time and skill to deal with public. Once you start paying you open up new can of worms.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

That's why MVP at Brownwood is so busy, paid professional instructions, excellent facilities, and if you're a United Health Medicare Advantage member it's free.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 01-09-2019, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

No!
Almost bait like thread!!
Old 01-09-2019, 08:54 AM
Platinum member

I give this idea the same probability of happening as I would that of Jimmy Hoffa knocking on my door and presenting me with a talking unicorn that poops gold bullion and cooks the best gumbo in the universe.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
It would be a nice gesture, but given the attitudes of so many around here...will probably never happen.
Yeah. I see that too. The attitudes of so many around here are kind and caring and not looking to be rewarded.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:59 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Geez.

"Let's Behead the Messenger" is a popular club on TOTV. Leaders are volunteers.
- - - - -

Anyway, Ed III, I am sorry you are under attack for just asking what looks to me like a sincere question.

I do not think what you offer is a particularly good idea, nor do I think it will ever happen. But thanks for thinking about it.

We bought 5 years ago. In just that amount of time, I have really felt the increase in crowding. Some of it is because we are around only in colder months, usually. But even so, there has been a change.

I do not think the ratios of people to the popular things they want to do will ever be the same as even a few years ago.

Sometimes finding a seat at our neighborhood pool can be a problem. (I can find a different pool. But darn it, I can walk to my usual one.)

I long ago gave up getting into water classes.

One of my favorite clubs is the Civil Discourse Club but I have to get there really early. One time, I had to deal with some guy who was trying to cut me off at the pass for the last seat. (I was there first. I got the seat. He was not very "civil.")

Getting into movies can sometimes be a problem.

I think you are asking your question because you are feeling the crowding, too.

But, crowds are a fact, and will remain a fact.

In fairness though, I will say that I think it is probably easier for full-time Villagers.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:39 AM

I understand that people who do not attend regular exercise classes, line dance classes even water activity classes don't understand the completion for these classes. Just like non-golfers don't know the frustration many villagers feel when trying to score Tee Time.
After living in the Villages for seven years, I understand that winters are more crowded in Florida. I expect and plan for recreation center activities to be more crowded as well as popular golf tee times to be harder to schedule. However, there are many popular activities which are very crowded all months of the year with the exception of June, July and August and not just due to the winter crowd.

The recreation centers do have many open time slots for additional classes. If you visit centers and look at the schedules posted outside of each activity room, you will see all of the open time slots. I can only guess there are not enough volunteers to keep these rooms full. I am hoping the new centers being built in the Fenny area will offer new activities due to new residents willing to volunteer. Location is not a problem for me if I want to participate in a group activity.

I don't know what the answer is to address the over crowding of activities which has noticeably increased in the recent years.

When I tell my friends and family who want to move here how things are changing, their reaction is - Wait . . . what! I need to stand in line for 45+ minutes to get a spot in a recreation class or arrive 45 minutes early. Sometimes I only need to place a water bottle on the floor so I have a spot saved to work out, then i sit in the lobby for 45 minutes.

In Jan, Feb and March I might get shut out. If you don't think that is disappointing, get up early, drive 10 minutes, arrive 35 minutes before the class to get a ticket for a class and be told, sorry no more tickets available. Yes the other months are busy but you only need to arrive 20-30 minutes early and sometime you can arrive 5-10 minutes before a class and squeeze yourself in.

I am very appreciative of our wonderful volunteers for everything they do to make The Villages the best retirement town in the USA. My concern is The Villages is sold to people with a truck load of activities . . . but that truck is now full.

The villages has always seemed to know what is needed to help correct a problem. I hope they know, that this has now become a problem that we villagers need real help to solve. Our golf Tee Time system helps keep access to tee times fair. We need a better system to obtain access to all the wonderful recreation building activities the Villages highlights as available to residents only.

Just my two cents!
Closed Thread

Tags
resident, instructors, volunteer, solution, instructor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.