Solution: Waiver of Amenity Fees?

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCsun View Post
I understand that people who do not attend regular exercise classes, line dance classes even water activity classes don't understand the completion for these classes. Just like non-golfers don't know the frustration many villagers feel when trying to score Tee Time.
After living in the Villages for seven years, I understand that winters are more crowded in Florida. I expect and plan for recreation center activities to be more crowded as well as popular golf tee times to be harder to schedule. However, there are many popular activities which are very crowded all months of the year with the exception of June, July and August and not just due to the winter crowd.

The recreation centers do have many open time slots for additional classes. If you visit centers and look at the schedules posted outside of each activity room, you will see all of the open time slots. I can only guess there are not enough volunteers to keep these rooms full. I am hoping the new centers being built in the Fenny area will offer new activities due to new residents willing to volunteer. Location is not a problem for me if I want to participate in a group activity.

I don't know what the answer is to address the over crowding of activities which has noticeably increased in the recent years.

When I tell my friends and family who want to move here how things are changing, their reaction is - Wait . . . what! I need to stand in line for 45+ minutes to get a spot in a recreation class or arrive 45 minutes early. Sometimes I only need to place a water bottle on the floor so I have a spot saved to work out, then i sit in the lobby for 45 minutes.

In Jan, Feb and March I might get shut out. If you don't think that is disappointing, get up early, drive 10 minutes, arrive 35 minutes before the class to get a ticket for a class and be told, sorry no more tickets available. Yes the other months are busy but you only need to arrive 20-30 minutes early and sometime you can arrive 5-10 minutes before a class and squeeze yourself in.

I am very appreciative of our wonderful volunteers for everything they do to make The Villages the best retirement town in the USA. My concern is The Villages is sold to people with a truck load of activities . . . but that truck is now full.

The villages has always seemed to know what is needed to help correct a problem. I hope they know, that this has now become a problem that we villagers need real help to solve. Our golf Tee Time system helps keep access to tee times fair. We need a better system to obtain access to all the wonderful recreation building activities the Villages highlights as available to residents only.

Just my two cents!
I don't see that it is worse than eleven years ago when we first moved to Hadley. We had to go an hour early to Odell to get into the Exercise class there starting January first.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward III View Post
...what better way to increase the available number of skilled Resident instructors by considering a Waiver of Amenity fee for those individuals...
You're trying to fix a problem that is not fixable by offering seniors a small monthly stipend to come out of retirement to teach a class. If any certified instructor needs an income, they are usually looking for good qualified instructors at MVP. You've got competition right there, and they can't compete.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Apparently it's also a problem for golf tee times, and other activities - not just exercise classes. One of the MAIN attractions to our moving to the Villages, instead of South Carolina, is that I have thousands of activities I can select from to do daily, or a few times every week, while hubby is playing golf (since it's not an activity I'm interested in).

If you're telling me that I have to wait an hour, for the privilege of attending an hour-long activity, then forget it. If I have to show up 45 minutes in advance only to be told there's no room, forget it. Totally not interested in that. Life is too short to spend half of it waiting in line.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Apparently it's also a problem for golf tee times, and other activities - not just exercise classes. One of the MAIN attractions to our moving to the Villages, instead of South Carolina, is that I have thousands of activities I can select from to do daily, or a few times every week, while hubby is playing golf (since it's not an activity I'm interested in).

If you're telling me that I have to wait an hour, for the privilege of attending an hour-long activity, then forget it. If I have to show up 45 minutes in advance only to be told there's no room, forget it. Totally not interested in that. Life is too short to spend half of it waiting in line.
I agree. South Carolina would be better.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-09-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Those of us who are flexible with the what, when and where have not had a problem doing what ever we choose or have chosen............ for the last 15 years.....other than more people we have no more issues/problems than we had when TV was 35,000 folks.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:07 PM
Gold member

I don't mind standing in line, I meet some very nice interesting people in line. I travel around to different sport pools to be able to maximize my time. Each pool has a slightly different culture and rhythm to it. The classes that you have to arrive early for generally are the ones with the best teachers! So for three months I'm ok with it.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,298 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree. South Carolina would be better.
I like it GG. When are the rest of you going to break the code.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:03 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

In OCsun's post earlier in this thread, things were said far better than I said them in my earlier post here. Thank you for sharing your experience and opinion, OCsun.

I have seen some other posts here that are making me think my credibility is being marginalized, posts that say crowding is no different than 11 or 15 years ago. I actually have been in TV since 2007, but before we bought, we rented, in fall and/or winter. In fact, I attended the very first meeting of the Civil Discourse Club. It was held in a rec center in the Belvedere area. The LSL section of TV was just being developed. I remember when Colony was under construction. Now, I am lucky if I can get in the door to that club when I am there. (Yes. I am one of the abominable snowbirds. We kept two houses.)

I dare to go "off script" once in a while when it comes to life in TV and I guess there are those who find that annoying. There are, of course, many good things about this place, but our house is not located in The Village of Denial.

Somebody mentioned flexibility is needed. Well -- if I could get into a yoga class or a water exercise class maybe that would help.

I do not know much about physics, but isn't one of the Laws of Physics something about how two things cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

I am not making up the stuff about the crowds.

I solemnly swear that I have seen the changes I am talking about and feel the crowding is far beyond where it was. I do not think there is an end in sight.

I solemnly believe that people who want to learn about TV have the right to hear all opinions about what is happening.

(And, no, I do not hate TV. I like many things about it. I have good friends in TV. But the loss of the LLC and now the increasing crowds are not something I thought would happen so fast. And, yes, we did keep an extra house, up north -- so if you are one of those here who wants to tell me that thing about don't let the door, yadda, yadda, save it. I can hear you.)

Sincerely,
Sassy Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-09-2019 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-09-2019, 09:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Boomer thank you for keepin' it real. And for remembering that this forum exists in part to inform potential homeowners who are seeking real actual information, not just koolade-induced denial and dismissal and rejection of differences.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:27 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Boomer thank you for keepin' it real. And for remembering that this forum exists in part to inform potential homeowners who are seeking real actual information, not just koolade-induced denial and dismissal and rejection of differences.
You are very welcome, Jazuela.

I remember looking for info when I found TOTV in 2007. It was a brand new, tiny forum then.

TV is one of a kind. There is no other retirement community like it — and all that entails.

If you have never been here before, you will not believe how big it is and getting bigger every day. TV is pretty and sunny and inviting. There are many good things about living in TV. But the growth is on steroids. That growth comes with an overall effect. Villagers’ reactions to that effect will vary.

Take your time. Maybe rent first. I knew when we bought that we could sell easily if we wanted to so it was not like taking a huge leap for me.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by Boomer; 01-09-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I usually take 4 plus classes a day 7 days a week. If you are at a good gym certain instructors commands a hour line wait to ensure a spot.

So 45 minutes standing in line while looking at some of the most beautiful decor at rec centers or landscaping at the pools it a step up from inside of any fitness center.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:

As long as you master the tee schedule, tee times are not a problem. Each time I read your posts I am saddened that your posts are so negative about moving here. If you do I Hope that your life will improve with making new friends, joining clubs, and just enjoying life.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
In OCsun's post earlier in this thread, things were said far better than I said them in my earlier post here. Thank you for sharing your experience and opinion, OCsun.

I have seen some other posts here that are making me think my credibility is being marginalized, posts that say crowding is no different than 11 or 15 years ago. I actually have been in TV since 2007, but before we bought, we rented, in fall and/or winter. In fact, I attended the very first meeting of the Civil Discourse Club. It was held in a rec center in the Belvedere area. The LSL section of TV was just being developed. I remember when Colony was under construction. Now, I am lucky if I can get in the door to that club when I am there. (Yes. I am one of the abominable snowbirds. We kept two houses.)

I dare to go "off script" once in a while when it comes to life in TV and I guess there are those who find that annoying. There are, of course, many good things about this place, but our house is not located in The Village of Denial.

Somebody mentioned flexibility is needed. Well -- if I could get into a yoga class or a water exercise class maybe that would help.

I do not know much about physics, but isn't one of the Laws of Physics something about how two things cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

I solemnly swear that I have seen the changes I am talking about and feel the crowding is far beyond where it was. I do not think there is an end in sight.

I solemnly believe that people who want to learn about TV have the right to hear all opinions about what is happening.

(And, no, I do not hate TV. I like many things about it. I have good friends in TV. But the loss of the LLC and now the increasing crowds are not something I thought would happen so fast. And, yes, we did keep an extra house, up north -- so if you are one of those here who wants to tell me that thing about don't let the door, yadda, yadda, save it. I can hear you.)

Sincerely,
Sassy Boomer
The Villages is getting bigger. Florida is getting more populated. It is now the third most populous State in the Union behind California and Texas. During the high season there are lines for Restaurants and activities all over Florida.

The Villages have continued to build all of the structures for fun, just as they have in the past and new people with talents to share are moving here and volunteering to teach us.

This is the high season. We will be waiting and crowded. I don't like it all, but I do like when our friends who are seasonal residents return. There is good and bad to everything if you look for it.

Perhaps you should Volunteer to start another Civil Discourse Group. There are recreation centers North of 466 that have vacant rooms.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-10-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

There is a solution to having to stand in line for a place in a work out or other class and the Zentangle club is using it. They have an online sign up sheet on their website. Immediately after one class is finished you go home and sign up for the following week. There is a volunteer for the class at a table just inside the rec room door who checks off your name and you are in.

It can be done easily and efficiently with no pain!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-10-2019, 06:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Sincerely,
Sassy Boomer
Good morning Boomer: Congratulations on your commonsense piece above. You have a very rare talent ... when you post, people listen.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

Tags
resident, instructors, volunteer, solution, instructor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.