Solution: Waiver of Amenity Fees?

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I usually take 4 plus classes a day 7 days a week. If you are at a good gym certain instructors commands a hour line wait to ensure a spot.

So 45 minutes standing in line while looking at some of the most beautiful decor at rec centers or landscaping at the pools it a step up from inside of any fitness center.
Thank you for confirming what I was trying to convey that true access to all the wonderful activities can sometime suck!

You also confirmed my concern that a point system or fast pass system is now needed to handle the excessive demand.

Disney would limit the number of visitors allowed to enter their parks to assure that all ticket holders enjoyed the Disney experience as it was intended. Since developing the fast pass system they seldom close the entrance to the number of visitors.

I love new people and find visitors to be generally happy because they are in a vacation mode. Sharing facilities and meeting wonderful people during busy seasons does not fix a system that is broken, even in the off season.

The facts I stated were just that!
Surprisingly, some people felt compelled to make me feel like my intentions were to bash our community or that by comparison their ability to withstand an uncomfortable situation is more noble than my intention to try to identify and fix known problems. What good did that serve?
Old 01-10-2019, 07:27 AM
TOTV Moderator

The topic was a proposal to waive amenity fees for volunteer class instructors...the discussion has morphed into seasonal crowding, which is ok. However, a number of off topic and directed posts have been removed.

Please discuss the post and not the poster.

Thank you,

Old 01-10-2019, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCsun View Post
I understand that people who do not attend regular exercise classes, line dance classes even water activity classes don't understand the completion for these classes. Just like non-golfers don't know the frustration many villagers feel when trying to score Tee Time.
After living in the Villages for seven years, I understand that winters are more crowded in Florida. I expect and plan for recreation center activities to be more crowded as well as popular golf tee times to be harder to schedule. However, there are many popular activities which are very crowded all months of the year with the exception of June, July and August and not just due to the winter crowd.

The recreation centers do have many open time slots for additional classes. If you visit centers and look at the schedules posted outside of each activity room, you will see all of the open time slots. I can only guess there are not enough volunteers to keep these rooms full. I am hoping the new centers being built in the Fenny area will offer new activities due to new residents willing to volunteer. Location is not a problem for me if I want to participate in a group activity.

I don't know what the answer is to address the over crowding of activities which has noticeably increased in the recent years.

When I tell my friends and family who want to move here how things are changing, their reaction is - Wait . . . what! I need to stand in line for 45+ minutes to get a spot in a recreation class or arrive 45 minutes early. Sometimes I only need to place a water bottle on the floor so I have a spot saved to work out, then i sit in the lobby for 45 minutes.

In Jan, Feb and March I might get shut out. If you don't think that is disappointing, get up early, drive 10 minutes, arrive 35 minutes before the class to get a ticket for a class and be told, sorry no more tickets available. Yes the other months are busy but you only need to arrive 20-30 minutes early and sometime you can arrive 5-10 minutes before a class and squeeze yourself in.

I am very appreciative of our wonderful volunteers for everything they do to make The Villages the best retirement town in the USA. My concern is The Villages is sold to people with a truck load of activities . . . but that truck is now full.

The villages has always seemed to know what is needed to help correct a problem. I hope they know, that this has now become a problem that we villagers need real help to solve. Our golf Tee Time system helps keep access to tee times fair. We need a better system to obtain access to all the wonderful recreation building activities the Villages highlights as available to residents only.

Just my two cents!
How would YOU fix this problem? I remember some people organized walking groups to keep up their exercise pattern when the classes got full. What Percentage does the population increase during high season? We still have the same ratio of homes and rec centers. Homes and golf courses. Homes and outdoor activities. I do remember in 2008 having to get there at seven to get into the eight A.M. Walk Off the Pounds Class at Odell Center DURING THE HIGH SEASON. Maybe it is worse now.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-10-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
How would YOU fix this problem? I remember some people organized walking groups to keep up their exercise pattern when the classes got full. What Percentage does the population increase during high season? We still have the same ratio of homes and rec centers. Homes and golf courses. Homes and outdoor activities. I do remember in 2008 having to get there at seven to get into the eight A.M. Walk Off the Pounds Class at Odell Center DURING THE HIGH SEASON. Maybe it is worse now.
Use technology to fix this problem .... that's the solution to most everything, and if the instructor is not computer literate have one of her helpers set it up for her.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-10-2019, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,419 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
Sell more houses to people like me. I mostly sit home, watch TV, and drink beer.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Use technology to fix this problem .... that's the solution to most everything, and if the instructor is not computer literate have one of her helpers set it up for her.
There are a finite number of spaces in the class. There are more people vying for the spaces during high season. Technology could arrange that people would know what classes they were taking but they would still be missing classes and would not be able to attend as many as the want or "need". I think that is what the complaint is from exercisers, keeping up the level.

You cannot put ten pounds of stuff in a five pound bag, technology or no technology. Some of the "stuff" is going to have to wait. Patience is the only answer or doing something else active or similar.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-10-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Someone posted about using a system like the executive course tee time point reservation/request. My two cents worth is that is an excellent suggestion. The tee time system works like a fine tuned watch and is fair to all users. It prioritizes golfers that have the least amount of play over more frequent players. Just like the executive golf courses, every homeowner has the same right to use TV facilities (mother taught you to share). The basis of the system could be the tee time system with some modification.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Someone posted about using a system like the executive course tee time point reservation/request. My two cents worth is that is an excellent suggestion. The tee time system works like a fine tuned watch and is fair to all users. It prioritizes golfers that have the least amount of play over more frequent players. Just like the executive golf courses, every homeowner has the same right to use TV facilities (mother taught you to share). The basis of the system could be the tee time system with some modification.
You are right, but there is a charge for the tee time system. Money often throws a monkey wrench into things, and it should. Sharing is another SHOULD.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
There are a finite number of spaces in the class. There are more people vying for the spaces during high season. Technology could arrange that people would know what classes they were taking but they would still be missing classes and would not be able to attend as many as the want or "need". I think that is what the complaint is from exercisers, keeping up the level.

You cannot put ten pounds of stuff in a five pound bag, technology or no technology. Some of the "stuff" is going to have to wait. Patience is the only answer or doing something else active or similar.
None of your argument about number of spaces etc., stands up. Sign up on line and you get a place in the class. BUT, the system has to be run by the instructor or helper, this is not a problem for the Developer to solve, it is up to the participants and the instructor to get the system in place..

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-10-2019, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
You are right, but there is a charge for the tee time system. Money often throws a monkey wrench into things, and it should. Sharing is another SHOULD.
There is no charge for the tee time system if you use the phone. To use the computer it is eight dollars per month. I will admit using the phone is very frustrating Vs the computerized method.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Sell more houses to people like me. I mostly sit home, watch TV, and drink beer.
Thank you for helping me understand.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
There is no charge for the tee time system if you use the phone. To use the computer it is eight dollars per month. I will admit using the phone is very frustrating Vs the computerized method.
I use the phone all the time. Have it all written out on a card and zip right through it. I prefer the computer, but nice to have the backup of a phone.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Good morning Boomer: Congratulations on your commonsense piece above. You have a very rare talent ... when you post, people listen.
I second that.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Problem solved! lets make Retireguy123 our poster boy! LOL

I wish I had a good workable answer, but I don't. If The Villages formed brain storming sessions to solve concerns owners have, I would participate.

I am saying, The Villages developed a solution for the golfing community implementing the point system. I seriously doubt that anyone suggested that our golfing community form walking groups to fill their need for exercise during the busy season. I do know many golfers who play off campus during the busy season. Maybe that is a temporary solution I should seek for exercise classes.

There is a bill of goods that is attached to being an owner here and that includes more than golf.

In any event, I applaud the OP for trying to think of a way to entice more volunteers at rec centers, which are sorely needed.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward III View Post
Given the exponential growth of the Villages; in order to participate in many very popular Resident volunteer instructor classes such as Yoga, Stretch, Water Aerobics etc (insert your own choices) I have found it necessary to arrive at least 40 to 60 minutes early to secure an available space. Some are so crowded that Spiderman skills would be handy.Having benefited from and witnessed many Resident volunteer Instructors talent, time spent, skills, expertise, and devotion to their subject matter; what better way to increase the available number of skilled Resident instructors by considering a Waiver of Amenity fee for those individuals. Recreational employees facilitate the use of specific areas for the Resident Instructors, attendance is always electronically monitored. Villages should consider a solution. (Note- I'm not an instructor or married to one)
The volunteers here are not really "supposed" to make money on their activities, or expected to profit financially and I find that very good. This is sometimes umm "circumvented" by instructors selling supplies and grateful class members often will gift them at Christmas.( A paltry repayment for their dedication.) I have had instructors here in Colored Pencil and in Ceramics that were in their eighties and made the classes so welcoming and so much fun and I learned so much from them. There just aren't words to thank them for their great dedication.

The Lifelong Learning College was a great place to learn at a very low dollar amount, but that was ruined by some lawyer trying to make money and Pfft it was gone. Even the best things on earth are sometimes ruined by greed. But MANY good things are still going strong here because of the selflessness and dedication of many wonderful skilled people who volunteer to teach us and head up our groups.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-10-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
resident, instructors, volunteer, solution, instructor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.