Solution: Waiver of Amenity Fees?

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2019, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,464 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
You are very welcome, Jazuela.

I remember looking for info when I found TOTV in 2007. It was a brand new, tiny forum then.

TV is one of a kind. There is no other retirement community like it — and all that entails.

If you have never been here before, you will not believe how big it is and getting bigger every day. TV is pretty and sunny and inviting. There are many good things about living in TV. But the growth is on steroids. That growth comes with an overall effect. Villagers’ reactions to that effect will vary.

Take your time. Maybe rent first. I knew when we bought that we could sell easily if we wanted to so it was not like taking a huge leap for me.

Good luck to you.
We've been a few times now, including a lifestyle visit this past September. We go right before peak, when some of the snowbirds are starting to trickle in but not at full force. We haven't yet stayed longer than 6 nights, but we just wanted to get an overall "feel" for the place.

I was impressed with Spanish Springs when we first came, because it was already established. I really liked the Sumter town square and surrounding environment. South of (the southern version of) 466 hadn't been developed yet when we stayed somewhere near St. Charles and Bailey a few years ago.

I knew (factually) that it wasn't perfect. I knew that the whole thing looked like a facade, a very bizarre reconstruction of a fantasy world that doesn't actually exist. Totally unnatural. But as a facade, it was well-constructed and attractive from a distance. Drive-by pretty, in other words.

But that doesn't help at all, if you're actually living there, and still connected to the outside world. I won't be in vacation mode when we move, because I'll still have to work for a living. Hubby might be retired, but I won't be. If there are risks in The Villages that we just don't typically encounter here in New England, I need to know what those risks are, how high they are compared to the risks here, whether insurance a) covers it and b) actually pays out if you have to file a claim, and how much it's going to cost to accept the risk. I need to know what -I- will be doing while hubby is playing golf, on days when I'm not working. No point in buying into what is (for us) an expensive retirement community, if I'll just be sitting home most of the day. We're paying for amenities, I expect to be able to use them without spending half of my time waiting for "my turn."

When someone pays me to work for them, I'm expected to perform tasks for almost the entire time I'm getting paid. I am not getting paid to tell people to wait. I expect the same from whoever I'm paying to provide amenities to me, within reason. A 45-minute wait for a 1-hour class is not reasonable. If this kind of wait is only for fitness instruction, I don't care. I don't need an instructor to teach me how to get fit, and wouldn't likely attend those types of classes anyway.

But things like pottery, painting, woodworking, hikes and day-walks, maybe make-up application techniques, literature classes, philosophy, etc. etc...those are things that would interest me. And sure if I want to join the gym, I wouldn't tolerate having to wait an hour to use the free weights or hop on a treadmill. I go there to move, not to stand still. I can stand still at home.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,464 Times in 3,090 Posts

If instructors offered classes in a series like they do at community colleges and adult ed at public schools, instead of a "show up and learn something new" it could work a lot smoother. Sign up before the series starts. When you sign up you are reserving your spot in advance. Once all the slots are taken up, the opportunity is closed, and no one else can sign up. You make people pay a nominal fee - perhaps just $5 for the series. Reasoning: most people, when offered a series of things for free, are not likely to show up, thus depriving someone of a spot that they would have gladly taken. If you have to pay for the privilege, it has value, and you're more likely to respect the privilege you were granted.

If an instructor is teaching abstract art, a 4-class session, once a week for four weeks, every Tuesday from 3pm-4:15pm starting February whateverth. $5 reserves all four classes, once the 20 seats have been filled, the sign-up sheet is removed. If there are still slots available, walk-ins are allowed beginning at 2:45, and ending promptly at 3, for $5 per walk-in.

This covers materials and the instructor's cost of providing the class in the first place. Any books or demonstrations, film, spreadsheets, etc - it's just covering those costs. And if it turns out the nominal fee ends up with a profit, she can return it by preparing a snack on the last day of the series, thus using up any extra she might otherwise have kept.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:45 AM
Gold member

Being year round residents, we have adapted to the crowding from the beginning of January to the end of March. We avoid a lot of activities we might usually be involved in the rest of the year, we rarely go out to restaurants or country clubs here in TV and always place a golf reservation request with a foursome even if it means we play less often than we do the rest of the year. We rarely go to the squares for entertainment, they are just too crowded (even for the groups that aren't very good) and since many of the people here during the winter are in vacation mode, there are just too many people who have imbibed too much in the squares in general for our taste. We try to take care of most of our doctor visits etc during the off season as well. If we do want something from a specific restaurant or country club inside the bubble, we call the order in and get it to go. We do get together in neighbors homes for dinner and to play cards etc more often since most in our neighborhood are also year round residents. You just learn to adapt until it is less crowded again in the spring instead of fighting the crowds on a daily basis. Nobody has time for that !
Old 01-10-2019, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,355 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
As long as you master the tee schedule, tee times are not a problem. Each time I read your posts I am saddened that your posts are so negative about moving here. If you do I Hope that your life will improve with making new friends, joining clubs, and just enjoying life.
You are so right!
Old 01-10-2019, 12:19 PM
Sage

The model you suggested was in place for a number of years through the Life Long Learning College (now defunct) and the current Enrichment Academy. The classes/clubs at the rec centers work differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
If instructors offered classes in a series like they do at community colleges and adult ed at public schools, instead of a "show up and learn something new" it could work a lot smoother. Sign up before the series starts. When you sign up you are reserving your spot in advance. Once all the slots are taken up, the opportunity is closed, and no one else can sign up. You make people pay a nominal fee - perhaps just $5 for the series. Reasoning: most people, when offered a series of things for free, are not likely to show up, thus depriving someone of a spot that they would have gladly taken. If you have to pay for the privilege, it has value, and you're more likely to respect the privilege you were granted.

If an instructor is teaching abstract art, a 4-class session, once a week for four weeks, every Tuesday from 3pm-4:15pm starting February whateverth. $5 reserves all four classes, once the 20 seats have been filled, the sign-up sheet is removed. If there are still slots available, walk-ins are allowed beginning at 2:45, and ending promptly at 3, for $5 per walk-in.

This covers materials and the instructor's cost of providing the class in the first place. Any books or demonstrations, film, spreadsheets, etc - it's just covering those costs. And if it turns out the nominal fee ends up with a profit, she can return it by preparing a snack on the last day of the series, thus using up any extra she might otherwise have kept.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
...the whole thing looked like a facade, a very bizarre reconstruction of a fantasy world that doesn't actually exist. Totally unnatural...

...if you're actually living there, and still connected to the outside world...
Wow. This is over the top even for a troll. But assuming for a moment it’s not a troll...

Where is this “outside world” of which you speak? Everyplace on the planet is all the same...except for TV? Is that it?

TV is just another place in this mysterious “outside world”. Subdivisions. Shopping. Entertainment. Activities. Last time I checked, you might be able to find some of this stuff in a few places outside TV.

TV is whatever you make of it. Nothing more. Nothing less. It just has a few more options than many places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Why are you suggesting ways to change things, when you not even a Villager.
BTW, from all your posts.....I don't think The Villages is for you.
There ya go.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 01-10-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
There ya go.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCsun View Post
Thank you for confirming what I was trying to convey that true access to all the wonderful activities can sometime suck!

You also confirmed my concern that a point system or fast pass system is now needed to handle the excessive demand.

Disney would limit the number of visitors allowed to enter their parks to assure that all ticket holders enjoyed the Disney experience as it was intended. Since developing the fast pass system they seldom close the entrance to the number of visitors.

I love new people and find visitors to be generally happy because they are in a vacation mode. Sharing facilities and meeting wonderful people during busy seasons does not fix a system that is broken, even in the off season.

The facts I stated were just that!
Surprisingly, some people felt compelled to make me feel like my intentions were to bash our community or that by comparison their ability to withstand an uncomfortable situation is more noble than my intention to try to identify and fix known problems. What good did that serve?
Actually I belong to Lifetime Fitness where I pay $185.00 a month and get there an hour early to take a class from an instructor that makes a difference in my health.

Their system is the same as any class in TV, get there early and hope you get in. However the difference between TV and Lifetime Fitness is, those lifetime lines are 24/7 365 days a year. TV is in line with any fitness center to take a class, but TV is a free class.

Last edited by asianthree; 01-11-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Geez.

"Let's Behead the Messenger" is a popular club on TOTV. Leaders are volunteers.
- - - - -

Anyway, Ed III, I am sorry you are under attack for just asking what looks to me like a sincere question.

I do not think what you offer is a particularly good idea, nor do I think it will ever happen. But thanks for thinking about it.

We bought 5 years ago. In just that amount of time, I have really felt the increase in crowding. Some of it is because we are around only in colder months, usually. But even so, there has been a change.

I do not think the ratios of people to the popular things they want to do will ever be the same as even a few years ago.

Sometimes finding a seat at our neighborhood pool can be a problem. (I can find a different pool. But darn it, I can walk to my usual one.)

I long ago gave up getting into water classes.

One of my favorite clubs is the Civil Discourse Club but I have to get there really early. One time, I had to deal with some guy who was trying to cut me off at the pass for the last seat. (I was there first. I got the seat. He was not very "civil.")

Getting into movies can sometimes be a problem.

I think you are asking your question because you are feeling the crowding, too.

But, crowds are a fact, and will remain a fact.

In fairness though, I will say that I think it is probably easier for full-time Villagers.
Thanks for your kind response. Looks as my post "has lit the fuse of the online thought police". I've been very busy participating in all the rewarding activities here in The Villages. I'll check back in a few more days to see how some have responded multiple times. Meanwhile, its time to shut off the computer and get outside enjoy all that is provided for "happiness in our final quarter"
Old 01-17-2019, 09:09 AM

John, now that Village Health care residents go to MVP free, MVP is just as crowded as the rec. Centers. I went for a 1015 Zumba class at 10:00 and was squeezed in to a spot. I've been going to that class for 4 years and NEVER saw it that crowded. Sure it's "season" but it's more because MVP is free to a lot of residents.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 AM

It is very crowded in the Villages, and no longer just during season.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigben007 View Post
John, now that Village Health care residents go to MVP free, MVP is just as crowded as the rec. Centers. I went for a 1015 Zumba class at 10:00 and was squeezed in to a spot. I've been going to that class for 4 years and NEVER saw it that crowded. Sure it's "season" but it's more because MVP is free to a lot of residents.
A bartender who served a drink to a car salesman who sold a car to an MVP employee told be that MVP is looking at building another gym.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

In our 20th year here during 'The Season.'
Never was much different, and always crowded this time of year, and the same old bitching about Snowbirds
Now with the added development, and the present lack of new facilities down south, pressure on existing facilities is even stronger.
But us snowbirds will soon be gone and you full timers can have the place all to yourselves once more.
That is of course we all go home, because if we don't, and decide to become full timers, it will be all year round overcrowding.
Be carefull what you wish for, and thankfull for what you have!
Amen.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigben007 View Post
Remember The Villages' motto...... "Anything free tickles me!
Old 01-17-2019, 11:29 AM
Sage

Just a quick point of information...MVP is not free for ALL Villages Health Care members. Some plans aren’t included.
Closed Thread

Tags
resident, instructors, volunteer, solution, instructor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.