Solution: Waiver of Amenity Fees?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 06:40 AM

Default Solution: Waiver of Amenity Fees?

Given the exponential growth of the Villages; in order to participate in many very popular Resident volunteer instructor classes such as Yoga, Stretch, Water Aerobics etc (insert your own choices) I have found it necessary to arrive at least 40 to 60 minutes early to secure an available space. Some are so crowded that Spiderman skills would be handy.Having benefited from and witnessed many Resident volunteer Instructors talent, time spent, skills, expertise, and devotion to their subject matter; what better way to increase the available number of skilled Resident instructors by considering a Waiver of Amenity fee for those individuals. Recreational employees facilitate the use of specific areas for the Resident Instructors, attendance is always electronically monitored. Villages should consider a solution. (Note- I'm not an instructor or married to one)

Old 01-09-2019, 07:16 AM
Sage

Nope. I don't like that idea.

Volunteers here are like the rest of our age group, they have old fashioned values and we so appreciate them.

Things are crowded all over Florida. This is the high season.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-09-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2019, 07:30 AM
Platinum member

I don't like it either. If they got paid, they wouldn't be volunteers. And, attendance is not always electronically monitored.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:34 AM
Platinum member

First of all, The Villages' growth has been fairly linear, not exponential, at approximately 2200 (+/-) new homes per year for about the last 10 years.

I agree that this time of year there is more demand for classes and you need to arrive early. Your suggestion of waiving the amenities fee for instructors has some issues. There are several thousand rec volunteers. Trying to sort out who should and shouldn't be given a waiver would be a mess that I doubt anyone would want to tackle. For example, there are those who put in a CD for an exercise class and those who actually teach a class. Would both be given waivers? How about softball managers and assistant softball managers? How about the ride leaders and sweeps for the cycling clubs? How about those who run non-exercise clubs? Is there a minimum level of attendance required for waiver of the amenities fee? This would require strict accounting. I don't see the CDDs taking this on.

When we had the LLC, residents had the option of paying for an exercise class and were guaranteed a spot. The instructors for those classes were paid. Unfortunately the LLC replacement, the Enrichment Academy, is more modest in it's offerings.

My wife teaches a class and it would certainly be nice if our amenities fee was waived. I just don't see it happening because there is little, if any, motivation/incentive for implementing this suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward III View Post
Given the exponential growth of the Villages; in order to participate in many very popular Resident volunteer instructor classes such as Yoga, Stretch, Water Aerobics etc (insert your own choices) I have found it necessary to arrive at least 40 to 60 minutes early to secure an available space. Some are so crowded that Spiderman skills would be handy.Having benefited from and witnessed many Resident volunteer Instructors talent, time spent, skills, expertise, and devotion to their subject matter; what better way to increase the available number of skilled Resident instructors by considering a Waiver of Amenity fee for those individuals. Recreational employees facilitate the use of specific areas for the Resident Instructors, attendance is always electronically monitored. Villages should consider a solution. (Note- I'm not an instructor or married to one)

Last edited by biker1; 01-09-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:36 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Nope
Old 01-09-2019, 07:40 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Do you know for sure the issue is lack of instructors ? This place in general has people falling all over each other to be volunteers. Could it be a lack of facilities for a particular item such as a sports pool. That is a limited commodity. Line dancing usually requires the biggest room in a rec center. Another question have you tried doing your activity at other facilities ? As an example a large portion of TV population I'll bet does not even know where Mulberry or Paradise Rec Center are. PS I like the title of your thread - like a newspaper catch line.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Do you know for sure the issue is lack of instructors ? This place in general has people falling all over each other to be volunteers. Could it be a lack of facilities for a particular item such as a sports pool. That is a limited commodity. Line dancing usually requires the biggest room in a rec center. Another question have you tried doing your activity at other facilities ? As an example a large portion of TV population I'll bet does not even know where Mulberry or Paradise Rec Center are. PS I like the title of your thread - like a newspaper catch line.
Well said. Especially the thoughts on driving up to the older areas. AND the click bait/newspaper catch line.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
It would be a nice gesture, but given the attitudes of so many around here...will probably never happen.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:39 AM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

IMO They will get rid of the programs before amenities fees, just be thankful you have lots of options here, too crowed at one rec center move down or up to next one. I applaud all the volunteers for their time and skill to deal with public. Once you start paying you open up new can of worms.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:39 AM
Sage

That's why MVP at Brownwood is so busy, paid professional instructions, excellent facilities, and if you're a United Health Medicare Advantage member it's free.

Closed Thread

Tags
resident, instructors, volunteer, solution, instructor