Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Some ads on TOTV (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/some-ads-totv-37566/)

Talk Host 04-07-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeT (Post 344787)
Don't call me, I'll call you. Thank you very much.

How will you know who to call? If there were no advertisements, there would be no product knowledge. If General Motors released the best car in the history of the world but didn't tell anybody about it, it would flop. It's like winking in the dark. You know you are doing it, but nobody else does.

Ads pay for the television programs you watch. Ads pay for the radio programs you listen to. Ads pay for the newspapers (what are those things) that you read. Ads pay for the forums that you post on. It''s very likely that ads got most people to The Villages. If the Villages never advertised, it would not be what it is today.

Without advertising, we would be without just about everything.

BogeyBoy 04-07-2011 09:48 AM

This reminds me of the old advertising story.

A business opens.

No grand opening ads.

No ads on local TV.

No ads in the local newspapers.

No radio ads.

After six months the business is a failure.

The owner buys an expensive "Going Out of Business" ad.

GeorgeT 04-07-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talk Host (Post 344837)
How will you know who to call? If there were no advertisements, there would be no product knowledge. If General Motors released the best car in the history of the world but didn't tell anybody about it, it would flop. It's like winking in the dark. You know you are doing it, but nobody else does.

Ads pay for the television programs you watch. Ads pay for the radio programs you listen to. Ads pay for the newspapers (what are those things) that you read. Ads pay for the forums that you post on. It''s very likely that ads got most people to The Villages. If the Villages never advertised, it would not be what it is today.

Without advertising, we would be without just about everything.

You missed my point. There's advertising and there's stalking AKA spam. TV advertising and the ads on TOTV are fine because I come to this site knowing that there are advertisements that I can choose to view or not.

Talk Host 04-07-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeT (Post 344846)
You missed my point. There's advertising and there's stalking AKA spam. TV advertising and the ads on TOTV are fine because I come to this site knowing that there are advertisements that I can choose to view or not.

I apologize. I didn't see where you mentioned spam. Spam is illegal. Nobody likes it. I was confused. The discussion was about ads and I didn't know you were talking about spam.