Some advice needed

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2013, 08:31 AM
Default Some advice needed

I am new to this Forum so please excuse any gaffs I might make. My husband and I are selling our home of 40 years in South Florida in anticipation of moving to The Villages. I knew that there were some issues for us after our initial research but at the time I felt that they were not deal breakers. As we get closer to selling the house I think I need some advice from those of you who live in the Villages. First was the fact that TV is about 98% Republican. My husband and I are Progressive Democrats but I did not think this would be a problem until I saw posts saying the when Rick Scott came to The Villages to sign legislation his people were asked to look for "progressives" and keep them away. Some people I met who were Democrats seemed reluctant to say so out loud? I just want to know that, in the next national election, if I have a Democratic sign on my golf cart it won't be keyed. Next question is about pets. How pet friendly is The Villages and how strict are they about their pet rules? I think there is only one dog park? This might be touchy but we are used to an area that is culturally diverse. Can you shed some light on why there are not more people of color at the Villages? Lastly: we will be moving without knowing anyone at The Villages. Do residents help "newbies" adjust, do they reach out. Despite the above misgivings we really ARE looking forward to coming. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Sent you a PM
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 AM

Good luck.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam2940 View Post
I am new to this Forum so please excuse any gaffs I might make. My husband and I are selling our home of 40 years in South Florida in anticipation of moving to The Villages. I knew that there were some issues for us after our initial research but at the time I felt that they were not deal breakers. As we get closer to selling the house I think I need some advice from those of you who live in the Villages. First was the fact that TV is about 98% Republican. My husband and I are Progressive Democrats but I did not think this would be a problem until I saw posts saying the when Rick Scott came to The Villages to sign legislation his people were asked to look for "progressives" and keep them away. Some people I met who were Democrats seemed reluctant to say so out loud? I just want to know that, in the next national election, if I have a Democratic sign on my golf cart it won't be keyed. Next question is about pets. How pet friendly is The Villages and how strict are they about their pet rules? I think there is only one dog park? This might be touchy but we are used to an area that is culturally diverse. Can you shed some light on why there are not more people of color at the Villages? Lastly: we will be moving without knowing anyone at The Villages. Do residents help "newbies" adjust, do they reach out. Despite the above misgivings we really ARE looking forward to coming. Thanks!
You should move to. an area. and place where. you can be. comfortable. The Villages. is known for its lifestyle and all its activities, which curiously enough you fail to mention. Everyone is welcome here regardless of political persuasion or race, religion etc. When you come, get your information from the horses mouth since some of what you. write is flat out incorrect.,
Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I sent you a PM too. I don't know why your post upset me but it did.

I suggest that you come here on a lifestyle visit and see what you think and perhaps rent here for awhile.

Welcome to the forum.

You will find a lot of kind, good, smart, caring, dear, funny, oldish people on here from every walk of life,color, religion and political persuasion.

You will find some folks who like to debate ANYTHING...and a few with chips on their shoulders.

This is a very nice town, and anyone who can afford to live here can live here. (Homes start at about 60K and go to well over a million) The amenity fee is the same for all; right around 140 dollars a month......And Most of us are pretty happy.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:11 AM
Location: Wisconsin, San Antonio, Germany, Korea, Alabama and soon The Villages

I agree with others on this matter, you have to visit the Villages before you make any decision on where to spend your retirement. There are tons of stories on the internet about the political atmosphere in TV but again I believe that most residents really don't care about that issue. You do have to be comfortable in your surroundings and I think that if you do a lifestyle visit it will help you know "first hand" what TV is all about. Good luck and I hope you decide to make the Villages your home.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Veteran member
Default Villages

There is a democratic club in sumter and marion counties. Voter registration is almost 50 50. There are 2 dogparks in the villages and onepopular one just outside.

Last edited by Moderator; 03-26-2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Removed political statement
Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam2940 View Post
Speaking about you political opinions is no different here than anywhere else, if you want to debate.....just speak up.

What pet rules are you referring to? The number per household or where they poop?

People of color in TV. Anyone who has the resources and wants to be a Villager, can be. To imply something else.....is just dead wrong.

Most of us moved to TV without knowing anyone. Go to any square on the first night of your visit (you will visit right?) and say hello to the first person you meet...............your adjustment will begin.

Do visit and get the real feeling of what TV is all about.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Sage

Miriam;

I am a wannabee myself and look forward to living in TV. You need to schedule a visit and decide for yourself. There are many activities and friends to meet. Political viewpoints if expressed can be agreed to disagreed respectfully. Most people don't care about status and stuff like that. You can enjoy the lifestyle of a millionaire on a moderate amount of money.

You might meet a grump as they are few and far betweeen. You have the right to walk away so I wouldn't let it ruin my day. We all come from different viewpoints so the normal social rules of interaction apply.

Don't worry, be happy.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Sage

Since you asked for advice, here goes.

Don't believe everything you hear about TV. To believe that it is "98% Rep." without doing this simple, 30-second bit of homework.....hmmmmmmmmm.

It takes about 15 seconds to go to the Sumter County Board of Elections website and see how many people are registered with each party or none (it's at the top of the first page). Sumter County -- Supervisor of Elections

Even more accurately in doing homework, look at the actual election results from this latest national election:

Election Night Results
Old 03-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I would rent for the summer and see how you like the Villages. Also look at other communities around the villages and pick one that you like.
Your questions really have to be answered by you. Thus live here for a while. I do not care what party you belong to but I guess you care what party I belong too.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.