Some Consideration Please !!!

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2017, 10:51 AM
Default Standing in front of the seats in the tree lighting ceremony

Last night, at the tree lighting ceremony, my wife and I arrived at 4 with our own chairs. We ended setting up about 8 rows back where the line dancers dance. Good view, that why we arrived early.

Throughout the evening people were coming late, standing between chairs completely blocking our view and those behind us. The staff was continually trying to remove all those that came late from standing in the aisle completely blocking all views. Then the late comers that tried to put their chairs in the aisle or expand the sitting area into the dance floor. This was followed by friends of those who came early came over proceeded to spend the rest of the evening standing with their friends completely blocking the views. Then all was lost towards the end of the lighting ceremony and even standing the late comers completely blocked all.

Doesn't anyone care enough to honor those sitting and respect theirs views?

Please some consideration!!!

Last edited by Gene Babb; 11-30-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We had never been to a tree lighting here in The Villages but decided to ride over at about six last night to see what was happening.

Place looked swamped from the distance we could see from our golfcart, so we went home and watched the tree being lit at Rockefeller Center. Our granddaughter was present for that. I didn't see her anywhere in the crowd.

But I looked.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:40 PM
Sage

These are the same people who go to the Sharon and insist of taking pictures with their phones, lighting up the area and making the show unpleasant- they only think of themselves--very selfish or just plain stupid
Old 11-30-2017, 12:54 PM
Eternal Member

As I said on another thread, Mrs. Trap and I had a very good time at the tree lighting ceremony and the preceding program.

Yes, during the last 15 minutes before the tree was lit, we did have to stand but it was no inconvenience. I would guess most of the audience in our section were standing and it sure seemed everyone was enjoying themselves.

We arrived around 3:30. Driving by at 6, you definitely saw the size of the crowd. There would have been absolutely no empty seat or even a space for a chair at that time!

Been here for 8 years and the Christmas tree on the square remains just as beautiful each year!
Old 11-30-2017, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
As I said on another thread, Mrs. Trap and I had a very good time at the tree lighting ceremony and the preceding program.

Yes, during the last 15 minutes before the tree was lit, we did have to stand but it was no inconvenience. I would guess most of the audience in our section were standing and it sure seemed everyone was enjoying themselves.

We arrived around 3:30. Driving by at 6, you definitely saw the size of the crowd. There would have been absolutely no empty seat or even a space for a chair at that time!

Been here for 8 years and the Christmas tree on the square remains just as beautiful each year!
WHERE is the like button. Oh here;

Old 11-30-2017, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Went to the tree lighting once and was surprised at the lack of the crowd decorum considering the nature of the celebration. Then when the tree was turned on the lights were a letdown due to their dimness. They're brighter now than a few years ago but not oohs and aahs. Anyhow, it was a one and done but glad to have seen it.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2017, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Babb View Post
Last night, at the tree lighting ceremony, my wife and I arrived at 4 with our own chairs. We ended setting up about 8 rows back where the line dancers dance. Good view, that why we arrived early.

Throughout the evening people were coming late, standing between chairs completely blocking our view and those behind us. The staff was continually trying to remove all those that came late from standing in the aisle completely blocking all views. Then the late comers that tried to put their chairs in the aisle or expand the sitting area into the dance floor. This was followed by friends of those who came early came over proceeded to spend the rest of the evening standing with their friends completely blocking the views. Then all was lost towards the end of the lighting ceremony and even standing the late comers completely blocked all.

With growth comes change and not always for the good. My first tree lighting ceremony was 2005 Spanish Springs. First you would go to Church On The Square for The Holiday Countdown. Top shelf entertainment every night of the week during December. Admission was a canned good donation for the local soup kitchens. Hit the square before 7 pm. Most of us knew each other by first names in those days. No announcements about seat saving, your grandchildren or outside beverages. No fighting, no problem seeing, plenty of tables set up in the street, candles and candy canes, plenty of caroling. Always stilt walkers and other forms of entertainment. After the ceremony a stop at Katie Belles for more singing, dancing, and a night cap. If I recall right a mixed drink (double) in the shacks was less than $3 during happy hour which was still 5-7 pm in Spanish Springs even back then. I don't go anymore for the very reasons you observed - oh well that's progress.

Last edited by rustyp; 11-30-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
With growth comes change and not always for the good. My first tree lighting ceremony was 2005 Spanish Springs. First you would go to Church On The Square for The Holiday Countdown. Top shelf entertainment every night of the week during December. Admission was a canned good donation for the local soup kitchens. Hit the square before 7 pm. Most of us knew each other by first names in those days. No announcements about seat saving, your grandchildren or outside beverages. No fighting, no problem seeing, plenty of tables set up in the street, candles and candy canes, plenty of caroling. Always stilt walkers and other forms of entertainment. After the ceremony a stop at Katie Belles for more singing, dancing, and a night cap. If I recall right a mixed drink (double) in the shacks was less than $3 during happy hour which was still 7-9 pm in Spanish Springs even back then. I don't go anymore for the very reasons you observed - oh well that's progress.
Happy Hour - 5pm - 7pm. same as always on Town Square.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Happy Hour - 5pm - 7pm. same as always on Town Square.
Yep fingers faster than the brain.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,684 Times in 5,232 Posts

Quote:

Duh. Did you really think that this would not happen? Some people are rude. It is the way some people behave and anytime you go to an event like that it will occur. I agree with your concerns, but, if you attend next year, the same thing will happen. I stopped going to live events long ago.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 11-30-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:32 PM
Veteran member

This sez it all!

MARTA bus blocks feed of Georgia Dome implosion at worst possible time - YouTube
Old 11-30-2017, 04:09 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:

There actually was a time when going to the town square was a pleasant experience. No more. The Villages is way beyond being over built and with the disappointment of Brownwood pressure is placed on Spanish Springs and especially Lake Sumter Landing.

The Villages idyllic settings captured in photos and video's are unfortunately good only for marketing.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
There actually was a time when going to the town square was a pleasant experience. No more. The Villages is way beyond being over built and with the disappointment of Brownwood pressure is placed on Spanish Springs and especially Lake Sumter Landing.

The Villages idyllic settings captured in photos and video's are unfortunately good only for marketing.
I still go often but it's not the same. The small town atmosphere has disappeared. At some point when the place got big enough the knuckleheads realized they could hide in plain site. Boy you and I are going to catch a lecture from you know who. Dilly Dilly.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
There actually was a time when going to the town square was a pleasant experience. No more...
How sad for you.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:39 PM
Eternal Member

You sure would not have seen the pessimism expressed on this thread if you had been at Lake Sumter Landing last night. Villagers were having a great time. For such a huge event, people are going to stand in order to see. The standing was for about 15 minutes at the most.

I was having a great time talking to chair neighbors. I saw no drunk people, no angry people, and no political talk!

I plan to be going to Spanish Springs and Lake Sumter Landing for many more years of live music entertainment. Too bad that feeling does not prevail over everyone here. The charm does not wear off everyone.
Closed Thread

Tags
late, completely, standing, chairs, views

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.