Some GREAT News

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2020, 09:42 PM
Default Some GREAT News

Reading our hometown newspaper, thought I would share some VERY POSITIVE news about this. It is a learning curve folks...ALL if it for ALL of us is a learning curve.

Hang in there....this too shall pass!

Stay positive: Here are 23 pieces of good news regarding COVID-19 - Houston Chronicle
Old 03-22-2020, 11:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Yes, my guess is April 26th if we follow China’s pattern. It took China 15 weeks from the first case to today to turn around enough to open Apple store, Starbucks, loosen travel restrictions...

Last edited by Velvet; 03-23-2020 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:53 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Yes, my guess is April 26th if we follow China’s pattern. It took China 15 weeks from the first case to today to turn around enough to open Apple store, Starbucks, loosen travel restrictions...
Except we don't have any idea when the first case in China happened. Only when they reported the first case. Could have already been a couple months or more after the first case.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:46 AM

China was a lot tougher on their citizens. No national "shelter in place" order has come from Trump and the Fed Gov as they continue to talk but are directionless. The States have taken the lead on all of this.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

So one month ago I guessed that if we followed China’s pattern, at least what they claim to have said, we’d start up opening in the US by April 26th. But now I’m thinking it may be a bit too soon if people start traveling from contagious areas.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Apple View Post
China was a lot tougher on their citizens. No national "shelter in place" order has come from Trump and the Fed Gov as they continue to talk but are directionless. The States have taken the lead on all of this.
I find comments like this interesting. I've seen no legal authority for the president to order a national shelter-in-place policy. And we've just seen/heard governors assert that they - and only they - can order re-openings in their respective states. Wouldn't it follow that if a president could order a national shelter-in-place policy that he/she would also have the authority to rescind the same? So, where is this "directionless" scenario you speak of coming from?

States largely have authority over when to shut down, reopen
Old 04-21-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
You are either new to the United States, or a proponent of the nanny state. The federal government has no such power short of declaring martial law. The states are taking the lead because that is what they are supposed to do. The federal government's role is to provide support where needed, and that is what it's been doing -- even to the point of making up for poor planning and preparedness by some states.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I'm thinking about taking a drive up to Georgia, to get a haircut, maybe a pedicure...and then go bowling.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
You do realize China is a communist country run by a single dictator.

America has 50 individual states and the Governor’s are responsible to close and reopen their states as they see fit.

But go ahead blame Trump.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:55 PM

“Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it. “ Winston Churchill

If you are struggling with the powers of the federal government vs the powers of the individual states you should go back and research the real cause of our Civil War. (Hint: it was not started over the popular, in hindsight cause, wonderful as it was).

Our president and governors are doing their level best to balance out their powers and work together, I MO.

Last edited by CarolSells; 04-21-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolSells View Post
“Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it. “ Winston Churchill

If you are struggling with the powers of the federal government vs the powers of the individual states you should go back and research the real cause of our Civil War. (Hint: it was not started over the popular, in hindsight cause, wonderful as it was).

Our president and governors are doing their level best to balance out their poets and work together, I MO.

Actually, the "real" cause WAS by that...which you just allude to.

The overwhelming "State's Right's" that those who seceded were almost wholly interested in...was owning other human beings.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

Actually, the "real" cause WAS by that...which you just allude to.

The overwhelming "State's Right's" that those who seceded were almost wholly interested in...was owning other human beings.
Yes, but my point was that the “argument, if you will,” came down to whether or not the states felt that the Feds had the right to tell them what to do about or handle “that issue”. I think that we’re actually in agreement.
Wash your hands!
Old 04-21-2020, 01:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolSells View Post
Yes, but my point was that the “argument, if you will,” came down to whether or not the states felt that the Feds had the right to tell them what to do about or handle “that issue”. I think that we’re actually in agreement.
Wash your hands!
Of which makes the best point on why a central/federal government is needed.

To this day, there are certain states that have large populations that wouldn't have a problem of going back to slavery...or at the very least 'Jim Crow' laws.

And thanks for the (I assume, well-intentioned) advice, but my hands, like my conscience...are very clean.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Wrong. They directed the States to take the lead as they should.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpygreens View Post
You are either new to the United States, or a proponent of the nanny state. The federal government has no such power short of declaring martial law. The states are taking the lead because that is what they are supposed to do. The federal government's role is to provide support where needed, and that is what it's been doing -- even to the point of making up for poor planning and preparedness by some states.
Well said

Tags
curve, learning, news, pass, hang

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.