Some just don't get it!

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Gold member
Default Some just don't get it!

After four years of waiting our home is finally sold.

One more year of work up here in UpState Skaneateles New York and then we will be full time in Tamrind Grove.

Found a great home site. Our Liliac home will be completed in December. We are so darn excited!

However our friends are not. No matter how many pics I show them all we get is statements like-

Your crazy why are you moving to God's waiting Room to Die?, Got your rascal scooter and a oxygen bottle ready! All those bugs snakes gattors crime and illegals. So your gonna ride in a Golf Cart and dance in the streets.

Wow I gave up even telling anyone. I think we are very lucky and have found a great place to live. I have had nothing but positive's after visiting TV for the last three years. From sales staff, villagers local business the banks.

Maybe upstate NY taxes grey sky and annual 200 inchs of snow make us miserable? LOL

Did any of you get the same flack we are. Just curious!

Herv
Old 07-28-2011, 02:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hforward View Post

One more year of work up here in UpState Skaneateles New York and then we will be full time in Tamrind Grove.

Found a great home site. Our Liliac home will be completed in December. We are so darn excited!

However our friends are not. No matter how many pics I show them all we get is statements like-

Your crazy why are you moving to God's waiting Room to Die?, Got your rascal scooter and a oxygen bottle ready! All those bugs snakes gattors crime and illegals. So your gonna ride in a Golf Cart and dance in the streets.

Wow I gave up even telling anyone. I think we are very lucky and have found a great place to live. I have had nothing but positive's after visiting TV for the last three years. From sales staff, villagers local business the banks.

Maybe upstate NY taxes grey sky and annual 200 inchs of snow make us miserable? LOL

Herv
Herv, Congratulations on your upcoming move to TV -- I envy you as it will be a few years until I can contemplate actually moving to TV. I can barely tolerate the winters in Chicago. I don't know how I would survive winters in upstate New York. When I actually make the move south I will probably hear similar comments from some of my family members and friends as you are hearing from yours. I wonder why people choose to comment on other people's choice of residence.

I bet once you are actually living in TV, you may have some friends dropping into visit during winter. Stay strong and don't listen to the TV nay sayers.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:25 AM
Platinum member

Hi Herv!
We"ll be most happy to have you join our wonderful community.
Forgive those who feel the need to smear their opinions on you! Unless they've been here, they truly have no reference from which to speak, so they speak from their own emotions.

Many people resist change. They like their world the way it is, not necessarily because it's perfect, but because it's familiar. It's set in place and doesn't require anything but occasional maintenance now and then.

There are those who like everyone to have the same stuff, the same way of life (in general) as they do. It makes them feel like their choices have been good ones.... you know, it validates them.
To have a friend or family member think 'outside the box' shakes them up a bit. Your leaving forces a shift in their reality..... and perhaps they see it as your rejection of the choices they are content with.
Not the highest way to think, but it is what it is.
So, smile, wish them well and shake that elemental dust from your shoes. If they want to 'swim with bricks' (as I like to say) it is their choice. It need not affect your joy

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 07-28-2011 at 05:32 AM. Reason: To add a sentence
Old 07-28-2011, 06:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hforward View Post

Herv
Herv.

They think the world of you and don't want you to go.

I didn't like Florida either until we visited friends in The Villages. I couldn't believe it and I still can't believe it. It is like trying to describe microwave energy to a toddler.

If someone had told me that we would be building our second house in TV four years ago, I would have told them they had tee many martoonis.

Wait until they come to visit you here and wait until you are out on your lanai and you give them a tall Kool drink and watch them the next day.

They will NEVER mention what they are saying now when they buy three villages over.

It happens.

You have made a wise choice.

Welcome to lower Paradise. I hope you have a thousand years to gloat about your choice.

Kindest wishes,

Gracie.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:13 AM
Veteran member

Years ago when the spouse was talking about "wintering" in Florida I was resisting---mainly due to not having "enough information" and seeing just where that might be. Then I got to come down and see and changed my mind---ALL this before even seeing The Villages.

Fast forward a few years and we visited The Villages and we were both smitten!!! We too have had the same responses as you have. MOST people have heard "aren't the summers REALLY hot? I could NEVER live down there!"
Plus more similar comments, some that you already covered.

I think people are just jealous! They can't ever think of leaving their familiar surroundings so have to try to make others feel as they do.

Well the "wintering" in FL for us has changed into "LIVING" in FL and we're loving it. You'll find negative people wherever you live (yes even in FL) but it's your life to be lived as you want to live it. So I say "WELCOME"!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:52 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenAjd View Post
Years ago when the spouse was talking about "wintering" in Florida I was resisting---mainly due to not having "enough information" and seeing just where that might be. Then I got to come down and see and changed my mind---ALL this before even seeing The Villages.

Fast forward a few years and we visited The Villages and we were both smitten!!! We too have had the same responses as you have. MOST people have heard "aren't the summers REALLY hot? I could NEVER live down there!"
Plus more similar comments, some that you already covered.

I think people are just jealous! They can't ever think of leaving their familiar surroundings so have to try to make others feel as they do.

Well the "wintering" in FL for us has changed into "LIVING" in FL and we're loving it. You'll find negative people wherever you live (yes even in FL) but it's your life to be lived as you want to live it. So I say "WELCOME"!!!!!!
So you snowbird and do not live there year round ???????
I thought this was about full time in florida
I do agree snowbird is the way to go if you can afford it
Old 07-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default they just don't get it....

From Graciegirl: "I couldn't believe it and I still can't believe it. It is like trying to describe microwave energy to a toddler."

^^^^^Very good description. ^^^^ I always said I would never move to Florida and now I can't wait until we could move there.

One other thought is, that they see you in a rocking chair with nothing to do but play shuffleboard and fight bugs in the unbearable heat all day for the rest of your life. Hahahaha!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:31 AM
Gold member

Our friends and neighbors were happy to see us go!!!

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 07-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Platinum member

I got the "bugs, snakes, gators" routine when I moved to Jacksonville in 1965. When I moved to TV in 2001 I got the "living with all of those old folks" routine. I must admit before my first move to Florida I had no desire to live in the south in general and Florida in particular. My only reason for the move was a job opportunity. Moving to Florida and then to TV were the two best decisions I have made.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 AM

We started calling the folks who visit us from Ohio as "the people who say 'nice'". They give us a load of junk that we will be living with the old geezers and playing bingo. then they come and visit and the whole time that they are here they keep saying "this is nice, this is really nice."
Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Gold member
Default Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
Our friends and neighbors were happy to see us go!!!

John
That cuts both ways...
Old 07-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Location: Village of St. Charles,Binghamton, Conklin, Syracuse, and Tully, NY
Default Some FLAK

Hi Herv,
People don't understand the attraction of the Villages until they see it for themselves. We left upstate NY (Song Lake in Tully), mainly because the taxes are outrageous. That's a good enough reason to move, and if you're going, why not go where the weather is warm, there is no snow, and the community is like no other. The comment that really gets to me though, is "Isn't that where the STD rate is the highest of anywhere in the country?"
That's when I don't even bother to try to explain The Villages to them.
Welcome to you, you're going to LOVE it.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:15 AM
Veteran member

Years ago my wife and I decided to buy a business on a small island off the Caribbean coast of Panama. We heard it all--"what about it being a Spanish speaking country?" "What about mosquitos, tropical diseases, crime, dictatorships, sharks, snakes, crocodiles, blah, blah, blah..."

We thoroughly enjoyed our island paradise and it gave us the opportunity to meet some great people, become part of an amazing community, live our dream, and make a decent living.

Times change--we sold our business and we are now moving to TV to become permanent residents next month. The same folks who questioned our sanity about moving to Panama are now asking similar questions about our move to TV. "What about all the old people?" "What will you do there?" "But you don't play golf, do you?" "Isn't Florida a crime infested state?" "What about the gators, snakes, mosquitos?"

Take my advice, ignore the naysayers. Live your dream, meet some wonderful people and become part of a great community.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Default Welcome to The Villages

We are from Pompey and got the same reaction. Cold I could use right about now. Crime? What about the mansion on the lake with the blue roof? Not upstanding citizen's I would think.
You are making the right move at the right time of your life.
If it weren't for The Villages and ALL THE FREE stuff to do here I would be back in Central New York in a blink of an eye.
You only have to have one just one friend from there come and visit and that will quiet the monkey's down up there.
JOIN THE CENTRAL NEW YORK CLUB.: First Monday of each month. A good number of people from your area.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Listen to Capyjon

^^^^totally agree^^^^^

"Take my advice, ignore the naysayers. Live your dream, meet some wonderful people and become part of a great community"

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.