Some just don't get it!

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnermi View Post
DING, DING, DING, DING!!!! This is my favorite response to those that say it is too hot.

Besides, I love walking out in the morning and evenings and not freezing my ever loving fanny off.

Michigan is gray, cold and windy in the winter and winter lasts a long long time. I am so over it.
Same for Illinois. I am so over it too...
Old 07-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawatha View Post
All my adult life, I couldn't understand why anybody would ever want to live in Florida- all I had ever heard about it was how hot and muggy and buggy it was. And then I flew in to Tampa for a cruise, and simply fell in love with that area. We came back several times, visiting different areas of Florida. We finally stumbled on to The Villages after hearing a commercial on Fox News. Man oh man... we spent 2 years trying to sell our home near Colville, WA (70 miles north of Spokane). Tired of the frozen ground and snow on the ground from November or December to March or April. Tired of months on end with the temps never rising above 32 degrees, and often below zero.

Tired of people asking where we were moving to- their response was always "it's hot there", "it's muggy there", "it's buggy there". And occasionally... "won't you feel strange being around nothing but old people?" Hahahaha... I have lived in the desert near Palm Springs and also near Needles. Believe me, I know HEAT. (Even though it's a DRY heat, it's still HOT down there!) I know about bugs, too. And the old people here in The Villages? Oh, you mean those ladies who kicked my husbands butt in Pickle Ball? Or the ladies who kicked my butt in the karate class? Crazy... there's just no sense in even trying to explain. People have to see it to believe it. And I'm sure it's not for everybody- but we love it here and feel blessed to finally have our own home here in The Villages. We closed escrow yesterday and couldn't be happier.
Lawatha, Congrats on your closing. From what I've observed from the residents of TV playing pickleball, many of whom are 10 or more years old than me...they can run rings around me. By the time Friday afternoon rolls around, work has me beat. Enjoy your new life in lower paradise.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:49 AM
Gold member

I stopped telling friends and family about TV because they just have to experience it for themselves. We've been here for a month, bought a house in Tamarind Grove, have to go back to VA Sunday ...my husband will be dragging me kicking and screaming!!! My two youngest 'kids' (23 and 27) arrived this week to see where mom and dad are going...guess what? They are hooked! They have been having so much fun. They now see why mom and dad love it here in TV so much. We will be back HOME soon. Can't wait to meet our neighbors when we return! Have a terrific day!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Remember the Seinfeld episode where Georges parents bought in Florida because Jerry's parents tried to tell them they couldn't? That is how I approach it. "Sorry, can't tell you where I am moving" "To many people there already" "There sold out, no more room" "you wouldn't like it" "it's all just old people, your to young at heart" "stay here it really doesn't get that cold" "Villages?, it's OK, but probably not for you"

See how fast they find themselves here after that. Works every time.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Remember the Seinfeld episode where Georges parents bought in Florida because Jerry's parents tried to tell them they couldn't? That is how I approach it. "Sorry, can't tell you where I am moving" "To many people there already" "There sold out, no more room" "you wouldn't like it" "it's all just old people, your to young at heart" "stay here it really doesn't get that cold" "Villages?, it's OK, but probably not for you"

See how fast they find themselves here after that. Works every time.
I2ridehd -- Excellent responses!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:53 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default to I2ridehd

Too funny!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Veteran member

I have heard all of the naysayer stuff.....I have stopped even trying to explain.

I love when folks tell me, "Do you know it gets HOT there?"

I reply;
a) It DOES?? Darn, I wish someone told me sooner!
b) Well, if you are living right, it will be the hottest I'll ever experience....
c) I love the heat...better then the 6 months of bone chilling Buffalo winters I've lived all of my life. 95% of the world has a couple of unpleasant months...I'll take the Florida summers over the Buffalo winters any day.

OR...

They get Hurricanes down there!
a) Yes. You get at least a weeks notice, and they turn into tropical storms before they get to me, as I'm over an hour away from either coast.
b) Better then a sudden icestorm where we lose power, get buried in snow or slip and fall on black ice, break a hip and die within 6 months...

OR...
There are GATORS down there!
a) Yup, tastes like chicken.
b) Yes, I have a few in my pond in my backyard. They never bother me, and they keep the cat population down. (Sorry cat lovers....)
c) Yup, better then the deer up here who cause so many car accidents....

OR.....
I hate Florida!
a) Good! I need someone to stay up here in NY and hopefully buy my house.
b) Good! Because I'm not trying to convince you to move there at all. I really do not care if I'm the very last person on earth to move there. We live is a wonderful, blessed country where we all have choices.....that is MY choice.....By the way, do you wanna buy a snowblower??

I'm reminded of the old saying....."Living well is the best revenge". While I am not vengeful at all, I look forward to taking my healthy NY state pension, selling my house here where I pay over $6,000 in taxes, and living in Florida debt free.....where the only gloves I'll own are golf gloves.......

Respectfully, Frank
Old 07-31-2011, 12:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulfrank View Post
I have heard all of the naysayer stuff.....I have stopped even trying to explain.

I reply;
b) Well, if you are living right, it will be the hottest I'll ever experience....
c) I love the heat...better then the 6 months of bone chilling Buffalo winters I've lived all of my life. 95% of the world has a couple of unpleasant months...I'll take the Florida summers over the Buffalo winters any day.

OR...

a) Yes. You get at least a weeks notice, and they turn into tropical storms before they get to me, as I'm over an hour away from either coast.
b) Better then a sudden icestorm where we lose power, get buried in snow or slip and fall on black ice, break a hip and die within 6 months...

OR...
b) Yes, I have a few in my pond in my backyard. They never bother me, and they keep the cat population down. (Sorry cat lovers....)

OR.....
I hate Florida!
b) Good! Because I'm not trying to convince you to move there at all. I really do not care if I'm the very last person on earth to move there. We live is a wonderful, blessed country where we all have choices.....that is MY choice.....By the way, do you wanna buy a snowblower??

I'm reminded of the old saying....."Living well is the best revenge". While I am not vengeful at all, I look forward to taking my healthy NY state pension, selling my house here where I pay over $6,000 in taxes, and living in Florida debt free.....where the only gloves I'll own are golf gloves.......

Respectfully, Frank
Bravo Frank. Especially the part about falling on black ice...happened to me this past winter. Not much fun. Luckily I escaped with just a sore backside. As I lay on the sidewalk, I thought to myself, this is the last straw. I can't spend my golden years dreading the winter. And as adults we do have choices about where we spend our golden years...be it shoveling snow, playing golf, scraping ice off the car's windshield or playing pickleball outdoors in January. So be happy with your choice. As one of my customers in South Africa once told me, "this life is not a dress rehearsal, so live accordingly..."
Old 07-31-2011, 06:53 AM

I am glad that the people I have spoken to about the Villages aren't interested. That way, when I am ready, there will be room for me. After all, it is all about me. :-)
Old 07-31-2011, 07:32 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:

I reply;

OR...

OR...

OR.....
I hate Florida!

Respectfully, Frank
Give me 5, Frank!

See you at the Square one of these days.

Can't wait to say adios to

...and ask, "What is a shovel, what is a snowplow?"

Bring on TV!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 AM
Gold member

I'm with ya-- I wated to bring the snow shovel down to our TV villa, break it, and use it as a lawn ornamement. Got overruled by the BOSS.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 AM
Veteran member

Before I bought my Florida home, my plan was to put my awesome 13 hp Professional Ariens snowblower in my pick up truck and keep driving south until someone said, "What's that??" Then I knew I drove far enough.....

I'm thinking more now that I might bring my snowshovel down with us when we move just as a reminder.....I'll hang it in my garage next to my golf cart.

I do not regret at all buying our Florida home. Yes, I bought a few years ago when the prices were higher, but being a "frog", I did not buy it as an investment. I think prices WILL go back up in a few years, but I really do not care, as it will just be part of an estate split among the kids...I think in life folks regret more what they did NOT do more then what they did do.

I also think with some there is a crab bucket mentality that whenever one of the crabs work hard to get out of the bucket, there are always other crabs wanting to pull that crab back in. Always someone in the wings ready to rain on someones parade. I think that is "stinkin thinkin". I prefer not to have too many those types of people in my life. You end up being like those you hang with....so I like to hang around positive, successful people.

Some folks just need a "check up from the neck up"......I just spent yesterday moving my oldest son's family from NY to NC....another family leaving NY. We hope to do the same thing very soon. As soon as our NY home sells, we will be full time Floridians!

Frank.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Before I bought my Florida home, my plan was to put my awesome 13 hp Professional Ariens snowblower in my pick up truck and keep driving south until someone said, "What's that??" Then I knew I drove far enough.....

I'm thinking more now that I might bring my snowshovel down with us when we move just as a reminder.....I'll hang it in my garage next to my golf cart.

I do not regret at all buying our Florida home. Yes, I bought a few years ago when the prices were higher, but being a "frog", I did not buy it as an investment. I think prices WILL go back up in a few years, but I really do not care, as it will just be part of an estate split among the kids...I think in life folks regret more what they did NOT do more then what they did do.

I also think with some there is a crab bucket mentality that whenever one of the crabs work hard to get out of the bucket, there are always other crabs wanting to pull that crab back in. Always someone in the wings ready to rain on someones parade. I think that is "stinkin thinkin". I prefer not to have too many those types of people in my life. You end up being like those you hang with....so I like to hang around positive, successful people.

Some folks just need a "check up from the neck up"......I just spent yesterday moving my oldest son's family from NY to NC....another family leaving NY. We hope to do the same thing very soon. As soon as our NY home sells, we will be full time Floridians!

Frank.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:22 AM

To me TV is like heaven we have all heard about it but won't be able to understand the beauty until hopefully we get there. Same with TV have to see to believe.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybb View Post
To me TV is like heaven we have all heard about it but won't be able to understand the beauty until hopefully we get there. Same with TV have to see to believe.
Without the dying part.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.