'SOME KIND OF HEAVEN' You Can Watch It Now

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2021, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
I love Florida. I am just curious as to why people hate it.

I hope it is not too far off topic but I am interested in why someone would decide to retire in a state that they despise.

How about having to be near elderly family members that are no longer capable of total independence but refuse to leave their home or accept outside assistance. Isn't that what the documentary is about ? Sometimes things are not "all" what they appear to be.

Last edited by rustyp; 01-17-2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:

I hope it is not too far off topic but I am interested in why someone would decide to retire in a state that they despise.
It's totally, completely and entirely off topic and has nothing, zilch, zero to do with the movie.

Why are some people absolutely obsessed with my opinion of the state of Florida (which I've gone into great detail about in other threads, which they can find for themselves if they really wanted to), instead of actually discussing the topic - which is a movie that has a rather unfortunate trailer?

(the trailer was not good. It didn't capture the point of the movie and made the Villages look like some evil villainous entity of the plotline when in fact it isn't any such thing).
Old 01-17-2021, 04:14 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

Just watched this movie. Profound on many levels. Only those that drank the kool aid years ago would think this is a movie against the villages.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Just watched this movie. Profound on many levels. Only those that drank the kool aid years ago would think this is a movie against the villages.
Reasonable people from all over the country thank you
Old 01-17-2021, 10:34 PM
Default Dismal Film

I rented it on Amazon and it was a total waste of money. We could only get through half of it. Why did they focus on such dysfunctional people!! One of the worst films I have every seen
Old 01-17-2021, 11:54 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBW225 View Post
I rented it on Amazon and it was a total waste of money. We could only get through half of it. Why did they focus on such dysfunctional people!! One of the worst films I have every seen
Garbage!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-18-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
- -
It's also available on iTunes for those who have an AppleTV:

Some Kind Of Heaven - Movie Trailers - iTunes

I personally really enjoyed the documentary... first off, it did show some really great shots from around The Villages... with scenes of several unnamed Villagers, doing what people do in The Villages... in all our complicated glory as we navigate the final chapters of our lives. If you enjoy hearing people's stories, this may be a film for you.

As the most successful retirement development in the county, there certainly is plenty of fodder for parody here in The Villages. I'll note, in American society it's easy to play older/retired folks for laughs. We seem to worship youth. I thought this film was pretty kind in that regard. The documentary really focused on the lives of 4 people as they try to navigate the later stages of their lives. It especially spoke to the human need for connectedness, of community, and the need to continue to grow and develop. If you are looking for a film that generates some inner thought, this may be a film for you,.

That said, it's not an extended advertisement for The Villages. Reminds me of the old adage, you can't run away from your problems, you take them with you. If your looking for validation of your purchase of a home in The Villages, this may not be the film for you.

I don't know if the film provided any answers... but for those approaching retirement age, it does give awareness and perhaps some pause to begin contemplating the complicated questions of just what do you want in retirement?

As always, YMMV.

Leo
-Tom Robbins
Old 01-18-2021, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I watched the 2 minute preview and I found it kind of true to life, although not interesting enough to want to rent and watch. It also reminded me of a cheesy film I saw last year called POMS. I remembered it played at LSL Theater and I think it was on Netflix, it was a fictional story. It had some good stuff, but not enough to give it a grade higher than a 5 out of 10.

Poms (2019) - IMDb

It was filmed at a retirement community in Georgia, but it could of easily been made at here. Everybody drove around in golf carts and went to rec centers and hung together like they were back in high school. Diane Keaton was the star, she was from NYC and was single and went to the community to be low key and retired. Then she ran into woman who was a real dynamo, she was a cheerleader, she taught in school, she had card parties with the guys at her home, all kind things going on. Eventually Keaton gets in the groove and they all become cheerleaders.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-18-2021, 04:05 PM
Veteran member
Default The Villages movie

I watched it. Okay, where in The Villages is that sandy beach and ocean? Been here 7 years and haven't ever seen it.

One cool part was the interview with the legendary Harold Schwartz. I hope he gets to see the movie up in whatever part of paradise he's residing in now.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I watched it. Okay, where in The Villages is that sandy beach and ocean? Been here 7 years and haven't ever seen it.

One cool part was the interview with the legendary Harold Schwartz. I hope he gets to see the movie up in whatever part of paradise he's residing in now.
It's supposed to be a DOCUMENTARY (disctionary.com defines documentary as: a movie or a television or radio program that provides a factual record or report and not fiction) so that beach must be here somewhere. Maybe it's on the 6th floor of the Eisenhower Rec Center just like the pool we were told as a high school freshmen that was down in the 2nd basement just below the private McDonalds restaurant that only seniors had access to!
Old 01-18-2021, 06:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
It's supposed to be a DOCUMENTARY (disctionary.com defines documentary as: a movie or a television or radio program that provides a factual record or report and not fiction) so that beach must be here somewhere. Maybe it's on the 6th floor of the Eisenhower Rec Center just like the pool we were told as a high school freshmen that was down in the 2nd basement just below the private McDonalds restaurant that only seniors had access to!
The factual information, for those who had trouble interpreting film: the people at the beach - went to a beach.

The people who live in the Villages, went to a beach.

Of all the 120,000-130,000 people who live in the Villages, I'd have to guess that oh - let's just guess - SOME of them go to a beach sometimes.

There's a little nuance in this scene, which apparently was missed: that the people in the scene were capable of enjoying themselves even though they were having trouble in life.

It's sad to see that people are upset that their enjoyment didn't occur in the Villages but hey - some people actually like the beach. Good thing the Villages is so close to two different coasts.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Maybe Michael Moore needs to come villages and Make a movie 🎥. I sure he would show the true character of the villages scene.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:30 PM
Sage

Quote:

They miss paying high taxes and dysfunctional state, county, and city governments.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It's totally, completely and entirely off topic and has nothing, zilch, zero to do with the movie.

Why are some people absolutely obsessed with my opinion of the state of Florida (which I've gone into great detail about in other threads, which they can find for themselves if they really wanted to), instead of actually discussing the topic - which is a movie that has a rather unfortunate trailer?

(the trailer was not good. It didn't capture the point of the movie and made the Villages look like some evil villainous entity of the plotline when in fact it isn't any such thing).
Y— brought it up, so opened up to the topic.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The factual information, for those who had trouble interpreting film: the people at the beach - went to a beach.

The people who live in the Villages, went to a beach.

Of all the 120,000-130,000 people who live in the Villages, I'd have to guess that oh - let's just guess - SOME of them go to a beach sometimes.

There's a little nuance in this scene, which apparently was missed: that the people in the scene were capable of enjoying themselves even though they were having trouble in life.

It's sad to see that people are upset that their enjoyment didn't occur in the Villages but hey - some people actually like the beach. Good thing the Villages is so close to two different coasts.
First of all I was obviously joking about the beach (but not the high school part), second it's a movie, don't get so upset over it! Your opinion is as valid and appreciated as anyone's but like any movie goer and reviewer it's just a matter of personal taste. When I watch a movie I don't want to have to dissect the deep meaning in order to enjoy it. If the meaning is SO DEEP I need all the nuances explained then it's not entertainment. If it entertains me, I like it, if it doesn't I don't. Personally I mostly like mindless entertainment. If I have to think about the deep meaning too much I get a terrible headache and if I have to pay to get a headache I can get one for free many other ways. I couldn't even deal with the trailer. Skeeved me out. Even with that I still enjoy reading your posts.
Closed Thread

Tags
kind, heaven, watch, info

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.