Are some Villages locations better than others?

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2019, 02:45 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

In that we have lived in so many different homes, our experiences have taught us to live in the middle. Like prey animals it better protects you from predators that frequent the edges of the heard. Also, we buy homes with an East facing patio so the in the afternoon the Florida sun does not drive you off of it. Look for a loop or a street that is not a main through route with lots of traffic and stop signs. That said, the benefits of The Villages compensates for any negative you can come up with.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Due to your specific interests, I would personally suggest somewhere in the vicinity of Spanish Springs (points north, west, south) or the "historic" section, which is northeast and east of Spanish Springs.

Here's why: that is the closest to the Ocala Forest, which has RV, fishing, and outdoor recreation opportunities. Boating is limited to small outboard motors, jetskis, and similar. Canoeing seems to be the most popular boating type on the many streams through the forest.

I would say, even if you want newer construction, that you probably would want to look at homes located between Lake Sumter Landing town square and Spanish Springs town square, in the northeastern sections of The Villages.

The western edge of the forest is only 10-15 minutes' drive from Orange Blossom, which is part of the historic section of the Villages.

Proximity to Orlando is a non-issue as someone mentioned before. It's around an hour away (depending on where you start from and how fast you drive).

The older sections including the actual "historic" section and the other neighborhoods nearest Spanish Springs is closest to the 301 and 441 routes out of the Villages to the north, which you say you are also looking for, due to family living nearby.

You can find a variety of home types in the area, from some of the original tiny 780sf single-wide trailer homes in Silver Lake, to condo-style townhouses right in Spanish Springs (if there are any for sale, I don't see any listed on the Homefinder right now), a few newer construction homes, and a number of 1200+ sf, 2 bed, 2 bath, many with "bonus" rooms that are sometimes used as a third bedroom with no closet.

There are also a smattering of higher end designer homes with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2+ car garages, spas, granite countertops, fireplaces, etc. etc. etc.

Most of this area is older homes. By "old" I mean between 10 and 25 years old (so - barely out of diapers, if you're a New Englander )
To Originl Poster,
Based on your 2 posts and your expressed interests, I strongly agree with the advice and suggestions in Jazuela's post, above.
But also, if you're truly interested in moving to a +55 retirement community I'd suggest that you also look at the separate communities of Del Webb Spruce Creek and Stonecrest. You can buy a nice home in either community for a lot less money than you would pay for a similar home in The Villages. Both communities are in Marion County and are along the vibrant Rt 441 corridor on the north edge of The Villages.
I live in The Villages and I love it but both my wife and I are avid golfers. If we didn't golf I can tell you we'd be living in Stonecrest right now.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Developer did their homework, every village is great but from following newbies on TOTV if you are a:

Bowler, SS area has both bowling facilities
Hospital location is SS, also there is NO BOND in Lake County, (could save home owner bunches)
Box stores all locations now, 441 has h depot, lowes, walmart, target, sams
Grocery stores all locations, SS 2 publix, winn dixie, aldi
Traffic is better north, sumter landing busier
Entertainment SS Sharon Morse, Savannah, Tierra del sol
Gas stations a little light south, important if you own gas golf cart

Hope this helps, welcome to paradise.

My personal prejudice, Lazamora, smaller village, 90 residents. close to my favorite golf, hacienda lakes, Mira mesa, golf range close, woodworking shop close, pet park close and GREAT neighbors, and beautiful trees (4 some this is a negative but we love them), cook with gas, comcast, seco, teco
also close access to lawn bowling, air gun range, pickleball, tennis, beach volleyball, chula rec. Center, and family pool and adult pool, only 2 homes 4 sale, they sell quick here.

Last edited by jebartle; 09-30-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:55 AM
Sage

make sure you fit age wise further north the communities have older residents south of 466a--the communities are younger--I live in Tamarind grove & use the Spanish Springs MVP, the Admiral uses the Brownwood MVP--big difference in the average age of their clientele-my trainer is @ MVP, SS-they have a dedicated train room--Brownwood does not
Old 09-29-2019, 07:03 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Yes, my Village is best. And everyone thinks the same thing. Here are some things to at least consider.

Don't buy on the very outskirt edges of the Villages. Something bad could build next door.

Don't buy next to the power line. It does impact value.

Don't buy backing to a road that is bold printed on a Villages map. It will be a busy street.

Don't buy backing to a treatment plane. They will smell bad sometimes.

And this one is my personal favorite, don't buy on any water, you will have more bugs, snakes and bad things live in Florida waters.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:11 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief5654 View Post
Newbie here and not yet a Villages owner. But, we're strongly considering a possible move here.
My question is, are some Villages better or considered more desirable than others? Also, is there much difference in the property tax rates in the counties wherein Villages neighborhoods are located? I'm particularly interested in Marion County Villages locations, as its a bit closer to our 2 of our 3 grown kids, who live in north FL and is also farther away from the Orlando metro area, which I'd like to avoid. I know noting about any of the various Villages developments but it just seems reasonable that some may be better and/or more desirable than others?
Will appreciate input from "seasoned" Villages residents. Thanks!

No.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,454 Times in 3,085 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
make sure you fit age wise further north the communities have older residents south of 466a--the communities are younger--I live in Tamarind grove & use the Spanish Springs MVP, the Admiral uses the Brownwood MVP--big difference in the average age of their clientele-my trainer is @ MVP, SS-they have a dedicated train room--Brownwood does not
Eh - the age thing is subject to change on a regular basis. The oldest of the original owners of the old section were at least 55 when they moved in, in the early 1970's. I don't know if any of them still live there but if they do, that'd make them just slightly over 110 years old. I'm thinking they're gone and were likely replaced at least 20 years ago by the next batch of 55+'ers. Those folks would be in their 90's. Of them, I'm guessing a bunch of those are gone, and have been replaced by people who are now in their 60's.

Meanwhile, the batch that came after the original, were likely replaced by people, who were replaced by other people, who are now in their late 50's/early 60's.

And so on and so forth. Sure there are a lot of older folks still in the old section. But it's very attractive to the younger folks because it's much more affordable (you can get a smaller original double-wide for under $140k). It's a great "introduction" to the Villages lifestyle.

In my neighborhood I see a pretty wide variety of age groups. Mostly over 70, but with a generous peppering of late 50's up to mid-60's. And a couple of folks in their 40's helping out mom and dad.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:34 AM
Platinum member

We bought in The Villages, not for the golf, but for the extraordinary array of clubs, fitness, and sports activities that have more than quadrupled since we bought. The scale is what works for The Villages, providing an unprecedented number of options. My problem daily is pondering what I'm going to trade off when I make a decision of what to do. We did take up golf after we got here and enjoy it too.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Yes, some areas of The Villages are more desirable. Everyone I speak to agrees...it’s the area where they live.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:22 AM

You also asked about property taxes, and I have not seen anyone address this issue:

Yes, even after the recent increase, Sumter County has the lowest county property taxes in the Villages.

However, there is something else to watch for if this is important to you. Parts of Sumter County are in the Village of Wildwood, or Lady Lake, or (?) other incorporated areas. You will pay property tax to Wildwood on top of your tax to Sumter. There are many areas that are in unincorporated Sumter County. No town tax. That can save you $800 -1200 annually.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

Yes.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts

Better and more desirable are relative terms, varying in meaning per different individuals.

All answers will be biased based on the individual answering and their measure of like/dislike.

Accept them all with an open mind!

There is not a bad location in TV. You will recognize that when you spend some time here.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Other than visiting your grown children 2 or 3 times a year, what are you going to do the rest of the time? Myself, I like being 3-1/2 miles from either Brownwood or Lake Sumter Landing Square (LSL). I think those are the best venues for bands and the movie theaters. So we live in Tamarind Grove, it was the newest village in 2011, and I've lived here since then, eight years.

If I had to do over, I would chose maybe Duval or Gilchrist, only because they are closer to Buena Vista and you can avoid driving your golf cart on the side of a road in a golf cart lane. Those villages you can almost go directly to the separate golf cart trail (MMP) alongside Buena Vista. Otherwise you're riding along maybe 3' from a car going 35 driven by a person about 70 years old. It's a scary thought, and we have to drive on the side of St. Charles Blvd for about two miles going north to LSL or 1/2 mile going south to Buena Vista. Regardless, I only drive my cart when I play championship golf, which is once or twice a week. Distance wise, Duval or Gilchrist are about the same distance from the two squares.

The squares are just a small part of living here, I have eight 27 hole championship golf courses I can reach in 15 to 25 minutes in my golf cart. I just played with some guys on Friday who live in Jacksonville and they thought it was great to be able to drive your cart to the course. I don't play on the executives, those are good for golfers just starting out, but you can find those just about anywhere in TV.

Shopping, we are 20 minutes from 466 which has Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Walmart, and many other stores. We are 30 minutes from 441/27 which has another Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Kohls, etc. However, if there is crime, usually shoplifting, it's along that area.

In our immediate area we have Colony Shopping Center 3 miles away which has Publix, Walmart Groceries & gas, and other stores and restaurants. Less than a mile away is the new Trailwinds development which has Lowes, Aldis, ABC Liquor, Jersey Mikes, Burger King, Circle K, Wendys opens tomorrow, Taco Bell under construction, 11 bed ER under constructon and a credit union and many more planned.

At Brownwood Square area I enjoy the MVP Health Spa, my wife and I have been going there since May 2014 and they have classes like Zumba, Spinning, Group Power, etc all with professional paid instructors. Since I turned 65 I signed on with United Health and have their Villages Medicare Advantage plan and there is no premiums and our MVP membership became free.

I guess I just like the area about 466A and Buena Vista the best. We also have two regional rec centers, Seabreeze and Lake Miona, both within 10 minutes away. Neighborhood rec center Sterling Heights and several neighborhood pools.

Since you've mentioned taxes, your thinking about price. The northern areas I believe resales will be cheaper, one reason those homes were built about 2000. Areas south of 466 started about 2005 and as you move south my village for example is 2011 and across 466A Gilchrist is 2013. One item you'll find in the newer homes is vaulted ceilings, in the north areas those are sometimes less, and when living in a smaller retirement style home a vaulted ceiling gives you a bigger feel.

Age is also a big difference, but that will change when some of us die. For example, when I moved here in 2011 my village didn't have a softball team, so I was put on Calumet Grove, one of the northern most villages. I was 61 and was the youngest on the team by many years. Now that I'm 69 that doesn't mean as much, but if your around 60 you might find northern areas have older residents. As I said, this will change because we all die sometime and new people will eventually take over, and who knows, those areas may become the youngest.

I would go to a lot of open houses when you are here. Go to each square and check out the crowd and the bands. Go to the restaurants and theaters, Savannah Center and the Sharon for live shows. Play some golf, if you have a salesman he can arrange free rounds with a cart. Enjoy exploring The Villages, Florida.

Last edited by John_W; 09-29-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,454 Times in 3,085 Posts

John - in his second post, the OP states he doesn't play golf, but he does like boating, fishing, RVing, and other "outdoor" activities. The Ocala Forest is immediately to the east and northeast of the Villages, and it checks off every one of those boxes. So - if you want to be as close to that as possible, PLUS in reasonable proximity to "points north" - then the older areas of the Villages - not necessarily the historic section, but any points between Sumter Landing and Spanish Springs - would be optimum exclusively for location purposes.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief5654 View Post
Newbie here and not yet a Villages owner. But, we're strongly considering a possible move here.
My question is, are some Villages better or considered more desirable than others? Also, is there much difference in the property tax rates in the counties wherein Villages neighborhoods are located? I'm particularly interested in Marion County Villages locations, as its a bit closer to our 2 of our 3 grown kids, who live in north FL and is also farther away from the Orlando metro area, which I'd like to avoid. I know noting about any of the various Villages developments but it just seems reasonable that some may be better and/or more desirable than others?
Will appreciate input from "seasoned" Villages residents. Thanks!
The short answer is NO!!! I still say there will be areas that you might prefer due to your interests!

I would make a list of "must haves" as opposed to "would like to have", in possibly selecting an area or home you might want to buy.

After one has lived here for awhile, it's more important to be closer to doctors and shopping and one doesn't go the squares as much.

TV is vast so I would make sure I get a map when you visit so you can analyze where you might want to live. Renting for awhile is good to determine exactly where you might want to live.

Sumter county still has the lowest taxes even after an increase after 14 years.

The area south of 44 is beautiful but I think it's a little too rustic for me, (IMHO). It really comes down to personal preferences. Marion county is north of 466 and can be close to Rt 42. It's a little north of where I lived and people seem to love it. It seems to be more peaceful and traffic is less from what I heard.

Don't get too riled up over making a perfect decision as most people have three homes before they found the right home. That's not me as I don't like to move. I am a one and done type of person.

Whatever decision you make, it won't be a bad one as TV is a beautiful place to live.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).

Last edited by 2BNTV; 09-29-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, desirable, locations, area, metro

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.