Are some Villages locations better than others?

Are some Villages locations better than others?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

I also disagree
Old 09-28-2019, 08:22 PM
Veteran member

Default I also disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottb View Post
Pick something south of 44 and you can't go wrong.
South of 44 has no Savannah Center, no Sharon, no Studio Theater, and currently no Town Square. While there probably will be a Town Square at some point, I doubt if the most southern areas will get any kind of musical and dramatic venues that are at all comparable to the three I mention for many, many years. The "old" Villages, north of 44 in my opinion will be more "vibrant" for activities, and the areas south of Rt 44 may well be more beautiful places to live.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:24 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief5654 View Post
Thanks to all who have replied so far. Keep your great comments and advice coming! ;>) Should have mentioned in my original post that I could care less about golf. I gave up on it well over 30 years ago, was never much good at it, altho I did once legitimately break 100 with a score of 99 on 18 holes. For me it was aggravating, I didn't find it enjoyable and have absolutely no desire to try it again. I'm more in to boating, fishing, RV'ing, travel and outdoor recreation. I also like old car restoration and woodworking. We have scheduled a 4 day stay in a villa there, around the end of October and hope to learn a lot from that. Thanks again!
Due to your specific interests, I would personally suggest somewhere in the vicinity of Spanish Springs (points north, west, south) or the "historic" section, which is northeast and east of Spanish Springs.

Here's why: that is the closest to the Ocala Forest, which has RV, fishing, and outdoor recreation opportunities. Boating is limited to small outboard motors, jetskis, and similar. Canoeing seems to be the most popular boating type on the many streams through the forest.

I would say, even if you want newer construction, that you probably would want to look at homes located between Lake Sumter Landing town square and Spanish Springs town square, in the northeastern sections of The Villages.

The western edge of the forest is only 10-15 minutes' drive from Orange Blossom, which is part of the historic section of the Villages.

Proximity to Orlando is a non-issue as someone mentioned before. It's around an hour away (depending on where you start from and how fast you drive).

The older sections including the actual "historic" section and the other neighborhoods nearest Spanish Springs is closest to the 301 and 441 routes out of the Villages to the north, which you say you are also looking for, due to family living nearby.

You can find a variety of home types in the area, from some of the original tiny 780sf single-wide trailer homes in Silver Lake, to condo-style townhouses right in Spanish Springs (if there are any for sale, I don't see any listed on the Homefinder right now), a few newer construction homes, and a number of 1200+ sf, 2 bed, 2 bath, many with "bonus" rooms that are sometimes used as a third bedroom with no closet.

There are also a smattering of higher end designer homes with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2+ car garages, spas, granite countertops, fireplaces, etc. etc. etc.

Most of this area is older homes. By "old" I mean between 10 and 25 years old (so - barely out of diapers, if you're a New Englander )

Last edited by Jazuela; 09-28-2019 at 08:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jazuela For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2019, 08:39 PM
Platinum member

As an 11-year resident living between Hwy 466 and 466A, I find all areas attractive. I wouldn't mind living in any village. I could be happy in the historic section or Spanish Springs or Sumter Landing or Marion County or even maybe in the newer areas south of Hwy 44, except for the lack of conveniences near by. They are all good. It's a tribute to the fine planning of the Developers. This place is beautiful.

On the other hand, buying the wrong house in any neighborhood could be a deal breaker. Not knowing what might be built over the fence, busy street, bad neighbors, barking dogs, loud TVs, etc. For instance, I wouldn't choose to live in one of the neighborhoods that empties on to Morse Blvd. N of 466 without a traffic signal; you could wait all day to turn left onto Morse due to the traffic going to/from the hospital/doctors' offices.

So. my opinion is any area in The Villages is great, provided you choose the right property.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:41 PM
Sage

I a way your budget will help you decide where may be best. A Ballpark Range would help people to help you better. Not being nosey at all. Before you put down any of your money be sure to speak with an Insurance agent so there is no surprise on the price for the coverage you desire. Please be aware that in Florida that the age of the roof is very important to many people. Even more so if you have a Mortgage. You also need a Villages agent for their homes and an MLS agent for their homes. Best of luck.

Listen to Carla B, this place is beautiful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nucky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 11:03 PM
Sage

Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle

OP, so many variables go into choosing a permanent location. It is difficult to choose a permanent location in a short visit to TV. One idea is to rent for a while (at least three months) to get a “real feel” for the Villages. Think about it if renting prior to buying might be something that makes sense to you. By all means, enjoy your first visit to The Villages as you will find residents willing to share their stories and experiences with you and answer most any question you might have about this place we call The Villages.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:45 AM

In that we have lived in so many different homes, our experiences have taught us to live in the middle. Like prey animals it better protects you from predators that frequent the edges of the heard. Also, we buy homes with an East facing patio so the in the afternoon the Florida sun does not drive you off of it. Look for a loop or a street that is not a main through route with lots of traffic and stop signs. That said, the benefits of The Villages compensates for any negative you can come up with.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Due to your specific interests, I would personally suggest somewhere in the vicinity of Spanish Springs (points north, west, south) or the "historic" section, which is northeast and east of Spanish Springs.

Here's why: that is the closest to the Ocala Forest, which has RV, fishing, and outdoor recreation opportunities. Boating is limited to small outboard motors, jetskis, and similar. Canoeing seems to be the most popular boating type on the many streams through the forest.

I would say, even if you want newer construction, that you probably would want to look at homes located between Lake Sumter Landing town square and Spanish Springs town square, in the northeastern sections of The Villages.

The western edge of the forest is only 10-15 minutes' drive from Orange Blossom, which is part of the historic section of the Villages.

Proximity to Orlando is a non-issue as someone mentioned before. It's around an hour away (depending on where you start from and how fast you drive).

The older sections including the actual "historic" section and the other neighborhoods nearest Spanish Springs is closest to the 301 and 441 routes out of the Villages to the north, which you say you are also looking for, due to family living nearby.

You can find a variety of home types in the area, from some of the original tiny 780sf single-wide trailer homes in Silver Lake, to condo-style townhouses right in Spanish Springs (if there are any for sale, I don't see any listed on the Homefinder right now), a few newer construction homes, and a number of 1200+ sf, 2 bed, 2 bath, many with "bonus" rooms that are sometimes used as a third bedroom with no closet.

There are also a smattering of higher end designer homes with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2+ car garages, spas, granite countertops, fireplaces, etc. etc. etc.

Most of this area is older homes. By "old" I mean between 10 and 25 years old (so - barely out of diapers, if you're a New Englander )
To Originl Poster,
Based on your 2 posts and your expressed interests, I strongly agree with the advice and suggestions in Jazuela's post, above.
But also, if you're truly interested in moving to a +55 retirement community I'd suggest that you also look at the separate communities of Del Webb Spruce Creek and Stonecrest. You can buy a nice home in either community for a lot less money than you would pay for a similar home in The Villages. Both communities are in Marion County and are along the vibrant Rt 441 corridor on the north edge of The Villages.
I live in The Villages and I love it but both my wife and I are avid golfers. If we didn't golf I can tell you we'd be living in Stonecrest right now.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:53 AM
Sage

Developer did their homework, every village is great but from following newbies on TOTV if you are a:

Bowler, SS area has both bowling facilities
Hospital location is SS, also there is NO BOND in Lake County, (could save home owner bunches)
Box stores all locations now, 441 has h depot, lowes, walmart, target, sams
Grocery stores all locations, SS 2 publix, winn dixie, aldi
Traffic is better north, sumter landing busier
Entertainment SS Sharon Morse, Savannah, Tierra del sol
Gas stations a little light south, important if you own gas golf cart

Hope this helps, welcome to paradise.

My personal prejudice, Lazamora, smaller village, 90 residents. close to my favorite golf, hacienda lakes, Mira mesa, golf range close, woodworking shop close, pet park close and GREAT neighbors, and beautiful trees (4 some this is a negative but we love them), cook with gas, comcast, seco, teco
also close access to lawn bowling, air gun range, pickleball, tennis, beach volleyball, chula rec. Center, and family pool and adult pool, only 2 homes 4 sale, they sell quick here.

Last edited by jebartle; 09-30-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:55 AM
Sage

make sure you fit age wise further north the communities have older residents south of 466a--the communities are younger--I live in Tamarind grove & use the Spanish Springs MVP, the Admiral uses the Brownwood MVP--big difference in the average age of their clientele-my trainer is @ MVP, SS-they have a dedicated train room--Brownwood does not
Old 09-29-2019, 07:03 AM
Sage

Yes, my Village is best. And everyone thinks the same thing. Here are some things to at least consider.

Don't buy on the very outskirt edges of the Villages. Something bad could build next door.

Don't buy next to the power line. It does impact value.

Don't buy backing to a road that is bold printed on a Villages map. It will be a busy street.

Don't buy backing to a treatment plane. They will smell bad sometimes.

And this one is my personal favorite, don't buy on any water, you will have more bugs, snakes and bad things live in Florida waters.

Tags
villages, desirable, locations, area, metro