Some will not like this message

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2019, 01:13 PM
Default Some will not like this message

A message that we should heed. As TV grows, if you were still working, why would you move your family here for a job?

A tale of rich and poor at The Villages | Commentary - Orlando Sentinel

As a community, we should take responsibility for this situation. I realize nobody likes to pay higher prices and in fact I think what we pay for most products is similar to other areas in Florida. I think the difference is that the profit is being retained by a few and not being given to the ones that actually provide the labor.

The concern is when does this economic disparity break paradise. I believe we are already seeing cracks. Stick your head in the sand and hope your gone before it impacts you, but this disparity will not just magically disappear.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:32 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
A message that we should heed. As TV grows, if you were still working, why would you move your family here for a job?

A tale of rich and poor at The Villages | Commentary - Orlando Sentinel

As a community, we should take responsibility for this situation. I realize nobody likes to pay higher prices and in fact I think what we pay for most products is similar to other areas in Florida. I think the difference is that the profit is being retained by a few and not being given to the ones that actually provide the labor.

The concern is when does this economic disparity break paradise. I believe we are already seeing cracks. Stick your head in the sand and hope your gone before it impacts you, but this disparity will not just magically disappear.
You do realize this paper has not been favorable to The Villages. Orlando, of all places should tout wage discrepancies. I want every detail, number, American citizen and all pertinent details for this survey. I have my doubts and think the numbers are skewed.

Did anyone ever consider that if Orlando must pay superior wages and is about one hour away, why wouldn’t one move and live there?

Last edited by Aces4; 10-14-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:45 PM
Platinum member

This is just more lies about The Villages. First, where did the original article get its data? The Villages is not an incorporated metro area. The Villages spans three countries and is located in three different cities/towns with the bulk being in unincorporated Sumter County. There is not specific data for just The Villages. This should be enough to debunk this story, but I will add a couple of more points. A lot of the people working in jobs in The Villages are retirees looking to supplement their SSI income or working just to keep busy. They are working in minimum wage positions and not working 40 hour weeks. If they earn to much, the SSI income can be reduced. The majority of the jobs in The Villages are service related. These then to be minimum wage positions. There are no manufacturing or warehousing jobs that pay higher wages which would increase the overall wage level.

It is not surprising that The Orlanda Sentinel would pick up this story. Over the years they have shown a bias against The Villages and the Morse family. I am sure this will show up in the next POA Bulletin as well.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

How am I supposed to "take responsibility"? I think a private business should be able to make as much profit as they can, as long as they are complying with the labor laws and minimum wages. Are you proposing that The Villages establish a higher minimum wage than the rest of Florida? Nobody is forcing people to work here.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
...economic disparity...
Ahh. That phrase reminds me of a very profound and true (imo) concept...

Freedom or economic equality. Pick one. You can’t have both.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:33 PM
Veteran member

The Orlando paper should check the salaries of Disney workers in their own back yard. I heard of a friend whose son did an internship at Disney and after college was hired by them. (operating one of the rides) He has a second job working at Universal to survive. At least TV is providing jobs. If they started to raise the wages here, many retirees could not afford TV. Look how much the home prices have risen.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Disney helps fund college for their workers, help with a place to stay. Our granddaughter, who dances was offered $19 hour to start. They work around school, and have the opportunity to work after graduation. She is pre med, would have also had hospital Opportunities. Have no idea what other positions pay.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Bla bla bla
Old 10-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Just another hit job by Ritchie. She comes out of her hole every few years to rag on The Villages.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:27 PM

The Orlando Sentinel article is based on the same "study" done by 24/7 Wall Street and currently included in the other news site.
Here is the letter sent to the editor there:
"Your recent article by Larry Croom erroneously states that “The Villages boasts highest rate of full-time working poor in the nation.” The table in the report by 24/7 Wall Street and repeated in your article actually shows that The Villages is among the cities with the lowest poverty rates. The Villages has the fifth lowest rate of working poor and the absolute lowest rate of overall poverty in that table."
I trust that as a responsible news organization you will correct your erroneous claim and also retract the vitriol spewed by Mr. Croom. Rather than excoriate The Villages for their success you should laud them. You should recognize that the economic activity spawned by The Villages provides opportunity for both individual employment as well as new small businesses. After all, how else could the area around The Villages achieve the lowest rate of overall poverty in the USA."

IMHO. the 24/7 report is a manipulation of published data by various entities but is not done rigorously so there is no way to get the kind of data and rigorous treatment that is applied by the Census bureau in their annual "American Community Services Report". Try to read a 24/7 Wall Street report and you will likely find yourself in an unending clickbait situation to get information and then end up with no conclusion available.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
This is just more lies about The Villages. First, where did the original article get its data? The Villages is not an incorporated metro area. The Villages spans three countries and is located in three different cities/towns with the bulk being in unincorporated Sumter County. There is not specific data for just The Villages. This should be enough to debunk this story, but I will add a couple of more points. A lot of the people working in jobs in The Villages are retirees looking to supplement their SSI income or working just to keep busy. They are working in minimum wage positions and not working 40 hour weeks. If they earn to much, the SSI income can be reduced. The majority of the jobs in The Villages are service related. These then to be minimum wage positions. There are no manufacturing or warehousing jobs that pay higher wages which would increase the overall wage level.

It is not surprising that The Orlanda Sentinel would pick up this story. Over the years they have shown a bias against The Villages and the Morse family. I am sure this will show up in the next POA Bulletin as well.
Actually there IS data specific to the Villages. The Villages is a "census-designated place" and as such, statistics are collected on it. Those statistics are public information, anyone can gain access to it.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
How am I supposed to "take responsibility"? I think a private business should be able to make as much profit as they can, as long as they are complying with the labor laws and minimum wages. Are you proposing that The Villages establish a higher minimum wage than the rest of Florida? Nobody is forcing people to work here.
You're looking at it through a very narrow scope. Let's widen this just a bit.

So, all these people you think should just get better paying jobs if they don't like it - go out and get better paying jobs.

Where will you be going to dinner next week? Who will be the starter at the golf course when you tee off tomorrow morning? Which phlebotomist will be taking blood to do tests on your neighbor to make sure he doesn't have a disease he's showing symptoms for? How about that cashier at the gas station - they'll have to close that. And Walmart, and Aldi's, and Lowe's...

These are all low-paying jobs - at or near minimum wage. If there's no one left to perform those duties, then all those places will close. And that means the Villagers have no place to dine out, no grocery store to buy food in, no gas for their cars, etc. etc.

SOMEONE has to do these jobs. There are people willing to do them, for whatever reason. But when you tell people "if you don't like it, move" - you're basically threatening to shoot yourself in the foot. It's an unwise approach.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Many people move their families here for a job because of the really good charter schools. Anyone working in a job connected to The Villages may place their children in the charter schools.

Also The Villages is a low crime area and has many new and growing businesses that attract people to seek to live nearby.

Many Villagers were at one time "the working poor" as you label it. There will be in any society those who earn more and those who earn less. It does not make them more or less valuable.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:18 PM

Some of you are debunking the messenger, but the message has merit. The more people that come to The Villages, the more service workers and professionals will be needed. These labor needs are not absorbed by retirees looking to supplement their income.

Where will they come from if wages stay low? I'm not sure where they will come from if we see a wage increase. When the Villages was smaller, the situation could be controlled. When the quality labor supply is consumed, you have to go outside and attract in new resources. How is that going to be achieved? If you think it is not your problem, then you better be prepared for more lack of service quality, general lack of service, and an increase in crime.

For those complaining about the Sentinal, take a look around for yourself. Read the complaints on this board. Talk to the workers.

If you want to ignore it, we will just need to agree to disagree and we can readdress the situation in three years. We will see which view is more accurate.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:26 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

I imagine estate lawyers, financial advisors and funeral directors in the area do rather well; obstetricians perhaps not.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
pay, disparity, message, concern, economic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.