Something has got to be done about speeding in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Founder
Default Something has got to be done about speeding in the Villages

I know that Sumter and Marion Counties are working radar fairly often, and giving large numbers of tickets, but it doesn't seem to be slowing people down. ??? In many places the speed limits are 25 miles per hour, and people are going 35, 45, 55 or more. The other day, I saw a speeding car cut off a golf cart and almost hit it. If he had, the golf cart driver would have been killed. It's everywhere here. There is a lady near us with a Thunderbird convertible that drives so fast that you can hear her coming a half block away.
The police can't be everywhere, all the time. Villages residents have got to become more responsible and drive within the speed limits.

I think it's time for the Villages to think about it's own police department. I'd be willing to pay my share. :cop:
Old 01-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Default Re: Something has got to be done about speeding in the Villages

Yup. I agree. One of the most popular sounds I hear around the villages is the sound of Rescue Vehicles...accidents all over the place. Especially the round-abouts. People don't know how to use them properly. I don't get it. Did folks drive like that BEFORE they came to the villages???? Oh well....Maybe we should start a Driver's Ed class here just for Villagers....Couldn't hurt.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:10 PM

I couldn't agree more that speed is a serious and growing issue and it is reaching epidemic proportions. Tickets and fines clearly are not the answer. Here's a thought....the people who have no problem paying out a $125 fine are likely the same people who are first in line for a free anything around here. Based on that premise, perhaps we should have our police handing out $10 gift cards to people who are randomly "caught" NOT speeding or actually using their signals or actually stopping at stop signs. If you're speeding or not using your signal or rolling through a stop sign then you won't be eligible for this "free" stuff. I realize this would never happen, but we need to brainstorm to come up with some unconventional methods for addressing a problem that simply isn't going to go away using the conventional methods already in place.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:43 AM
Founder

I think that part of the problem is that the streets are so nice that people don't realise that they are speeding. I also believe that lots of people have retired their brain as well as their job. I have met many people who don't think any more. They believe that since they live in the villages, they are no longer members of the real world. Traffic scofflaw in the Villages is a REAL problem. Somebody is going to have to address it :cop:
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.