South of 466A?

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
My wife was off having fun, so Caly and I took a ride out that way last week. Would you believe Caly broke her leash and ran off into the restricted area (bad dog). I had to go find her even though we should not be in there. Once I found her, I figured why not take a few shots for folks not in the area . Not great pictures, but what a beautiful evening in TV!

http://s1002.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow
Hi AJ,
I love your photos and your "Caly made me do it" explanation. I'm always amazed at how much progress TV makes in such a short time.

Back to the question, I agree with BTK-- no disadvantage. Before too long, it will be the only area where new homes are available. It will have the newest model homes, town square and other shopping.

It's true, it will be a long ride by golf cart from SS. However, those of us on the beautiful northside will have a long golf cart ride to Brownwood. It comes with the expanded territory.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Platinum member

Thanks for taking the time to post and share the pictures. There's always something new in The Villages.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Veteran member
Default Wildwood

Only - and major - disadvantage is the very close proximety to Wildwood.

Very high violent crime rate. Check out neighborhoodscout.com for all the statistics.

The Villages is not a gated community - and the locals know that fact. The Community Watch does not have any authority to even stop and question someone about why they are in The Villages.

There have been posts on this forum about Villagers not liking local teens hanging out on the two squares now. What will that be like when Brownwood is so much closer to Wildwood? Maybe no difference at all or ...?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
A disadvantage of being south of 466A is the distance to drive in your golf cart to Spanish Springs town center. I know Brownwood will be south of 466A but it is always fun to visit the other squares.
Would it also stand to reason, based upon your quote, that it would also be a disadvantage being north by 441/27 because of the distance to drive in your golf cart to Brownwood because " it is always fun to visit the other squares"???
Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Only - and major - disadvantage is the very close proximety to Wildwood.

Very high violent crime rate. Check out neighborhoodscout.com for all the statistics.

The Villages is not a gated community - and the locals know that fact. The Community Watch does not have any authority to even stop and question someone about why they are in The Villages.

There have been posts on this forum about Villagers not liking local teens hanging out on the two squares now. What will that be like when Brownwood is so much closer to Wildwood? Maybe no difference at all or ...?
I looked at your crime site and it is marginally worse than Lady Lake or Leesberg or you name it near TV. All of the area is above national average.

Since TV is not a gated community why would you think, since they need to drive to TV regardless, they would commit more crimes in the new Brownwood area than other areas of TV? Distance means nothing to a criminal. They see opportunity regardless of the fact that Brownwood is 4 miles south of 466A.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Gold member

I've read many of Tbugs remarks about Wildwood also. Pfffft like there is no crime in the Villages. Has he even been to Wildwood?? I have. I shop there, I eat there, I go to the market on Saturdays, and I have no problem with the people that live there. I meet some really wonderful people there and are happy to call them friends.

Stats aren't alway everything. Since I have been here in the villages, there has been 3 shootings, golf cart thiefs and they were mosty from people off 441 not Wildwood.

All I have to say is it will be a pleasure going to the new square, because Tbugs wouldn't think of going into such a crime ridden area. His lose .. not mine!!!

Last edited by obxgal; 03-15-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

There's more to Wildwood than just an individuals perception. Several of us TV'ers actually live in Wildwood and are actually happy about it!
The Villages FloridaThe Villages FloridaThe Villages FloridaThe Villages FloridaThe Villages FloridaThe Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Bottom line is

The bottom line is no matter where you live be carefull and look out for each other. I don't think any place is really safe today. Cops are getting killed all over this country. If your going out make sure your doors and windows are closed. Crime will and can happen anywhere. I don't think Wildwood is any worse then any other town. When I moved to Bonita people said be carefull people are living in empty homes and stuff is dissapearing from homes. Well guess what where I came from the same thing happened. As i said safeguard yourself and look out for each other.. People everywhere are hurting, name a state take your pick crime happens. Read the papers crime report it doesn't only say Wildwood. To the rest of the world we're living a DAMN good life!!
Old 03-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Veteran member

Wow, OBXGal sounds really upset about my post regarding the high crime rate of Wildwood. Sorry that I raised your blood pressure. Take a couple of deep breaths and relax, please.

I don't know what kind of shopping you do in Wildwood. The grocery store is Save-a-lot which is not a good store whatsoever.

Some good churches there in Wildwood like St. Vincent de Paul which operates the Wildwood food pantry and Wildwood soup kitchen. The Wildwood soup kitchen serves meals 6 days a week. Very good organization and the Seeds of Hope concerts raise lots of food and money for them.

To me, Wildwood has no appeal. It is not a scenic town nor does it have small town charm. Each to their own, of course. If OBXGal thinks it is a wonderful place, more power to her.

I find it confusing to hear Skyguy say that he is a Villager but lives in Wildwood. How does that work? Do you own rental property in The Villages but live in Wildwood?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

there are some nasty parts to Wildwood, across the tracks on 44A,
but all in all, it's fine, like many towns, I'm not worried,
I shop at Beall's often, TBugs is just churning it up, I think.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:39 PM

Basically, I just wanted to know if we should wait and build "across the street". We have a deposit in St. Charles. We have lived all over Long Island and Queens, our children have gone to schools in affluent areas surrounded by less affluent inhabitants. Shooting in South Bend were daily occurences. Philadelphia and Manhattan can sometimes be a challenge, but using common sense is the best course of action. I just wanted to know if you think new models will be out soon, any benefits to being closer to clubhouses, or is there really a landfill that one might want to stay away from.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
I find it confusing to hear Skyguy say that he is a Villager but lives in Wildwood. How does that work? Do you own rental property in The Villages but live in Wildwood?
OK, here's the scoop that will unconfuse you! I don't live in Wildwood. As a new resident I was not only confused by different forms of government where I'm from in NY and that I have been used to all my life. The second factor is that I was misled by Google searches.

When I first entered my new street address, Google auto-filled Wildwood FL to complete the address. Even if I search Google maps by just entering the street, FL for any street in the most of the southern area of TV, I still got Wildwood. Try it!

I now realize that there are no townships down here like where I live. BTW, you did only mention Wildwood and not the City of Wildwood. That would have made a difference to me at least. So therefore I will apologize on behalf of Google (me too :O|) for the confusion. Now you're unconfused and I'm still as confused as ever! The Villages Florida

BTW, ever wonder where Wildwood got its name? Well... "According to tradition, Wildwood obtained its name before it was a community. In 1877, a crew of workmen and a surveyor were putting in a telegraph line south of Ocala. The surveyor was required to report in from time to time. So when the surveyor called in and the office asked "Where are you?" He paused, and the answer he gave was, "I don't know, except in the wild woods." ***

*** Source: http://www.sumtercountytoday.com/towns/wildwood_mp.htm
Old 03-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Veteran member
Default Google me up, Scotty

Skyguy, thanks for the explanation. The Villages has really grown - and in a very good way. However, just try using a GPS in your car south of 466A. Mine keeps yelling at me to get back on the road when I am on the extension of Buena Vista Blvd.

I had no idea about the naming of Wildwood. Good story to pass on.

I have not heard of major crimes in The Villages except for one domestic quarrel that escalated to a shooting of the husband. Basically it is a safe place to live. I can walk my pet panda anytime of the day or night in search of bamboo with no worries. Personally, I would not do that in Wildwood at night. If OBXGal wants to walk around Wildwood at night, that is her choice.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Skyguy, thanks for the explanation. The Villages has really grown - and in a very good way. However, just try using a GPS in your car south of 466A. Mine keeps yelling at me to get back on the road when I am on the extension of Buena Vista Blvd.

I had no idea about the naming of Wildwood. Good story to pass on.

I have not heard of major crimes in The Villages except for one domestic quarrel that escalated to a shooting of the husband. Basically it is a safe place to live. I can walk my pet panda anytime of the day or night in search of bamboo with no worries. Personally, I would not do that in Wildwood at night. If OBXGal wants to walk around Wildwood at night, that is her choice.
TBugs - I agree. I really enjoy Wildwood. However, I grew up in a small city with a definite crime problem so I am wary about where I go - especially at night.

Russ - I also agree that Wildwood gets more than its fair share of blame.

Criminals looking for break in targets will look for easy marks - we all need to be smart - no matter where in TV we live! IMHO of course!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
I can walk my pet panda anytime of the day or night in search of bamboo with no worries. Personally, I would not do that in Wildwood at night.
T, be honest now! The only reason you wouldn't walk your panda around Wildwood, day or night in search of Bamboo, is because you know that the Pandas, belonging to the Wildwoodies, have completely exfoliated and killed off all the bamboo plants. That's why they had to relocate all their Pandas!
The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.