Southbound Golf Cart Path at Traffic Light at Colony

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2022, 10:18 AM
Default Easiest, Cheapest, and Quickest real solution here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babber View Post
I just had to wait for three traffic light cycles to head southbound at the Cart path at Colony Rec Center. Why, because two of those lights a single party wanted to turn left (west) to the Colony Plaza and created the backup because traffic heading North was heavy. Solution .... Please- please- please move up, so that traffic continuing south to the tunnel can pass. It is very frustrating to wait when someone can simply move forward and avoid the situation.

I also suggest that a bypass lane for southbound traffic is created so that the traffic jam doesn't occur.

Thank you
After much thought, I think that there is a simple, quick, cheap, and effective workaround to this (as of yet) seasonal problem.

First it should be considered that there are 2 light cycles: 1 cycle for east/west car traffic flow AND left turn golf car flow, and 1 cycle for golf car north/south traffic flow that also naturally includes the golf car left turn (easterly) option.

Simply starting the SOUTHBOUND golf car cycle 10 seconds BEFORE the northbound golf car cycle time would allow SOME of the left turn traffic to clear the blockage. While it is not a complete solution, it would greatly reduce the problem the OP presents. If another left turning golf car halts southbound flow, it would clear at the start of the next north/south golf car cycle worst case.

This change could be implemented in one day, cost approximately 4 manhours to implement, is easily reversible, and only affects GOLF CAR traffic cycles; car traffic cycles are unchanged.

Note: It is more beneficial to START the southbound traffic signal prior to the northbound signal, rather than EXTEND the southbound traffic signal longer than the northbound traffic signal.

How can this enhancement be recommended? To whom?

Last edited by flsteve; 01-10-2022 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flsteve View Post
After much thought, I think that there is a simple, quick, cheap, and effective workaround to this (as of yet) seasonal problem.
I think the most "simple, quick, cheap, and effective workaround" is to drive your car to the shopping center.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I think the most "simple, quick, cheap, and effective workaround" is to drive your car to the shopping center.

One this is a golf cart community and two, that would just shift the problem.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
One this is a golf cart community
Yeah, I have heard that, but I have no idea what it means.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but how will that help those stuck behind the person that wants to take THEIR golf car to the shopping center?

I have written my proposal above and submitted it via email to Dan Lucin, Manager of The Villages Infrastructure Division. I will post an update in this thread with any replies that I receive.

I don't personally use the intersection that the OP is referencing. I just like to see problems addressed and resolved or improved upon if it is possible.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, I have heard that, but I have no idea what it means.
It means that there are a metric ton of golf carts driving around... By design...

-Tom Petty
Old 01-10-2022, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
It means that there are a metric ton of golf carts driving around... By design...
With over 50,000 golf carts each weighing over 500 lbs., there's a heck of a lot more than a metric ton out there (closer to 1,000 metric tons)
Old 01-10-2022, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk3531 View Post
A lot of people don't understand basic traffic laws. To turn left, car or cart, you pull into the intersection, wheels straight, and, then turn when the coast is clear!
Unless the light turns red....then you may be considered going through a red light. We all do it, but I did that in NJ and was cited. Florida might be different. LEO's don't enforce golf carts violations unless they are DUI, cause an accident or reckless driving on the street (not MMP). Speeding and intersection violations (except maybe town squares going through stop signs) are apparently LEO acceptable.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-10-2022, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
With over 50,000 golf carts each weighing over 500 lbs., there's a heck of a lot more than a metric ton out there (closer to 1,000 metric tons)
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 01-10-2022, 05:49 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Unless the light turns red....then you may be considered going through a red light. We all do it, but I did that in NJ and was cited. Florida might be different. LEO's don't enforce golf carts violations unless they are DUI, cause an accident or reckless driving on the street (not MMP). Speeding and intersection violations (except maybe town squares going through stop signs) are apparently LEO acceptable.

We all do it because it's perfectly legal here and most places. Still don't understand if you are past the white line and already in the intersection how they can say you went thru a red light.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:59 AM
Default Ready to actually address the problem here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flsteve View Post

I have written my proposal above and submitted it via email to Dan Lucin, Manager of The Villages Infrastructure Division. I will post an update in this thread with any replies that I receive.

I don't personally use the intersection that the OP is referencing. I just like to see problems addressed and resolved or improved upon if it is possible.
So, Dan Lucin has suggested that this matter be presented to the Project Wide committee:

" Any golf cart path changes would have to be directed to us by the Project Wide committee. It would be best if you present this to the board at the next meeting. They meet the second Monday of the month in Seabreeze Recreation center @ 8:30AM. They will discuss and order us to do any of the work. "

As I mentioned earlier, I am not personally affected by this intersection normally. However, I am willing to be part of a solution to a problem rather than just complain about it. I will attend the next meeting on Monday, February 14th (Happy Valentine's Day), at 8:30am IF THE ORIGINAL POSTER IS WILLING TO ATTEND WITH ME.

Any others willing to be at that meeting would be happily welcomed as well, of course!
Old 01-14-2022, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobles View Post
In addition if you come through the tunnel by Sarasota there is no stop sign on the Sarasota side. Please don’t stop unless an emergency. You’ll be rear ended
The reality, If, you rear end ANYBODY it is your fault. There is no reason to be that close to anyone one for any reason. It saves nothing.

For far too many. I'm in a rush to relax.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:47 PM

It happened in car today too. Car waited on a yellow turn left signal so when it turned red the car was still in front of me behind the limit line. Had to wait two cycles.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
We all do it because it's perfectly legal here and most places. Still don't understand if you are past the white line and already in the intersection how they can say you went thru a red light.
The three States I am familiar with, NJ, PA and Ohio all are the same. If your light is red you are supposed to stop at the white line. While you can move into the intersection while your light is green, if it turns red while you are in the intersection you can be considered illegal. I guess you can interpret what you read, but I do know the police will cite you for making that left turn while your light is red when you are in the intersection. When the light turns red the crossing traffic has green and if a collision occurs guess who is liable......the person making a left turn when their light turns red or the car that has a green?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
traffic, southbound, colony, move, please-

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.