Southern Black Racer

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Joaniesmom's Avatar
Joaniesmom Joaniesmom is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Forsyth Villas, Briar Meadow
Posts: 434
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom
Default Southern Black Racer

I looked outside my window this morning and saw what I thought was a long black stick. On further inspection, I discovered that it was a 3 foot snake. Shiny black with a little cream color under his chin. He was sunning himself on the stones that make up most of my landscaping. When we tried to get closer for a better look, he disappeared in a flash! Hence the "racer" part of its name.

OK. So here's the point. This snake is one of the most common in Florida. It is NOT POISONOUS. It has tiny little teeth for catching lizards, bugs, frogs, mice, etc. The worst it could do to you is give you a bite. So, if you should come across one of these beautiful creatures, please, please do not kill it. They are more afraid of you than vice versa. Not to mention that catching it would be problematic, since they are so very fast.

The Villages Florida

Thank you for your attention.
__________________



Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
  #2  
Old 04-06-2013, 01:14 PM
duffysmom's Avatar
duffysmom duffysmom is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,059
Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Joaniesmom I to your wisdom and thank you for the information. These creatures have a place in our lives and we need to respect them. Of course if I ran across one I assure you I would win the race.
  #3  
Old 04-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Didiwinbob's Avatar
Didiwinbob Didiwinbob is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Liberty Prk
Posts: 201
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Beautiful
__________________
Chris
  #4  
Old 04-06-2013, 07:13 PM
redwitch's Avatar
redwitch redwitch is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,100
Thanks: 2
Thanked 73 Times in 30 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default

There are few things I'm truly afraid of but rats are high on my list. Anything that eats mice and rats is a fantastic creature to me. Thus, I've been lucky enough to love snakes for a very long time. Black racers are truly beautiful snakes. To see them take off is amazing.

Thanks for sharing and reminding.
__________________
Army/embassy brat - traveled too much to mention
Moved here from SF Bay Area (East Bay)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
  #5  
Old 04-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Mack184 Mack184 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Gotta disagree..I hate snakes. I'm like the Fat Broad character in the BC comic strip when it comes to snakes.
__________________
"I did not get into rock-n-roll just to pick up chicks. However..I was able to adapt". Ted Nugent
  #6  
Old 04-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Justjac Justjac is offline
Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Relocated to FL from Indian River, MI
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaniesmom View Post
I looked outside my window this morning and saw what I thought was a long black stick. On further inspection, I discovered that it was a 3 foot snake. Shiny black with a little cream color under his chin. He was sunning himself on the stones that make up most of my landscaping. When we tried to get closer for a better look, he disappeared in a flash! Hence the "racer" part of its name.

OK. So here's the point. This snake is one of the most common in Florida. It is NOT POISONOUS. It has tiny little teeth for catching lizards, bugs, frogs, mice, etc. The worst it could do to you is give you a bite. So, if you should come across one of these beautiful creatures, please, please do not kill it. They are more afraid of you than vice versa. Not to mention that catching it would be problematic, since they are so very fast.

The Villages Florida

Thank you for your attention.
Interesting photo. I just attended a gardening seminar and learned that snakes are drawn to "pine-needle" mulch. Just a FYI for those who don't like snakes...
  #7  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Joaniesmom's Avatar
Joaniesmom Joaniesmom is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Forsyth Villas, Briar Meadow
Posts: 434
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjac View Post
Interesting photo. I just attended a gardening seminar and learned that snakes are drawn to "pine-needle" mulch. Just a FYI for those who don't like snakes...
Thanks for the info. Didn't know that.
__________________



Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
  #8  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:39 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,699
Thanks: 270
Thanked 835 Times in 398 Posts
Default

I wonder if the photo has been taken down? All I see is a camera icon with a ghost-buster circle and slash.
  #9  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Mack184 Mack184 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaniesmom View Post
The worst it could do to you is give you a bite.

Thank you for your attention.
The worst? Are you kidding? You think it's OK to be bitten by a snake or any other animal? Really? You need some serious education on animal bites and their consequences. If a snake bites me it's going to DIE. Whether I beat it to death with a shovel, shoot it or rip it's head off, it's going to D-I-E.

God represents Satan as a snake for a reason. They are NOT beautiful.
__________________
"I did not get into rock-n-roll just to pick up chicks. However..I was able to adapt". Ted Nugent
  #10  
Old 04-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,779
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1,406 Times in 666 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
The worst? Are you kidding? You think it's OK to be bitten by a snake or any other animal? Really? You need some serious education on animal bites and their consequences. If a snake bites me it's going to DIE. Whether I beat it to death with a shovel, shoot it or rip it's head off, it's going to D-I-E.

God represents Satan as a snake for a reason. They are NOT beautiful.
How do you feel about little puppies?
  #11  
Old 04-19-2013, 04:34 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,699
Thanks: 270
Thanked 835 Times in 398 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
How do you feel about little puppies?
OH NO, disregard! Not another dog thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #12  
Old 04-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,779
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1,406 Times in 666 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
OH NO, disregard! Not another dog thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #13  
Old 04-19-2013, 06:08 PM
OnTrack's Avatar
OnTrack OnTrack is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Villages
Posts: 520
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
How do you feel about little puppies?
They're great.

As long as they aren't in the restaurant where I'm eating.



On another note, thank goodness there is no such thing as a........ "service snake."

.
  #14  
Old 04-19-2013, 07:07 PM
DonH57's Avatar
DonH57 DonH57 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Village Santo Domingo.
Posts: 3,327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 196 Times in 91 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Default

No snake has any thing to worry about me picking it up. Period !
  #15  
Old 04-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Mack184 Mack184 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTrack View Post
They're great.

As long as they aren't in the restaurant where I'm eating.



On another note, thank goodness there is no such thing as a........ "service snake."

.
Excellent!
__________________
"I did not get into rock-n-roll just to pick up chicks. However..I was able to adapt". Ted Nugent
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.