Southern Oaks-Fenney Lack Recreation Buildings?

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2018, 09:35 AM
Location: Pennsylvania, new home in the Village of Osceola Hills
Default Southern Oaks-Fenney Lack Recreation Buildings?

Cannot believe it's just 11 months since Fenney opened! Wow, the building pace is amazing and people ARE moving in! I'm loving the progress, can't wait to see what's coming next... As we're now looking to purchase a second home in SO, I gotta ask: its been reported that TV club numbers have jumped some 28% over the past few years, where are the many thousands of new folks going to meet for club meetings, card parties, dances, theatre, events etc. in their new "home-villages" area in Southern Oaks-Fenney? The Fenny Sales Center is rather short on meeting rooms compared to other regional recreation centers? Is the plan that we drive our cars (not carts) back north? To Rohan? Eisenhower? I do not want to be one of little faith, but Blue Heron and the other new "recreation" areas do not offer "meeting space"... Does anyone have any ideas/leads on how the indoor meeting space needs are to be handled for folks south of 44? And is more executive golf on the way?

Last edited by Duppa; 01-30-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duppa View Post
Cannot believe it's just 11 months since Fenney opened! Wow, the building pace is amazing and people ARE moving in! I'm loving the progress, can't wait to see what's coming next... As we're now looking to purchase a second home in SO, I gotta ask: its been reported that TV club numbers have jumped some 28% over the past few years, where are the many thousands of new folks going to meet for club meetings, card parties, dances, theatre, events etc. in their new "home-villages" area in Southern Oaks-Fenney? The Fenny Sales Center is rather short on meeting rooms compared to other regional recreation centers? Is the plan that we drive our cars (not carts) back north? To Rohan? Eisenhower? I do not want to be one of little faith, but Blue Heron and the other new "recreation" areas do not offer "meeting space"... Does anyone have any ideas/leads on how the indoor meeting space needs are to be handled for folks south of 44? And is more executive golf on the way?
ANYONE who tells you what is planned here in The Villages is only guessing unless they are part of the builders inner circle...and some CLAIM they are but what you will get is speculation and rumors.

Having said that, I see no reason why recreation centers will not be added as in the past and golf courses too.

State of the Art Recreation Center in The Villages®
Recreation Center Locations

Patience Grasshopper. (Quote from aged and wise philosopher, Bogie Shooter)
Old 01-30-2018, 01:53 PM
Sage

More of EVERYTHING is on the way. For example, a regional rec center will be built in the northwest quadrant where CR468 crosses the turnpike. Mass grading has already begun, so it will be open ... soon
Old 01-30-2018, 03:50 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,336 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
More of EVERYTHING is on the way. For example, a regional rec center will be built in the northwest quadrant where CR468 crosses the turnpike. Mass grading has already begun, so it will be open ... soon
True, it is underway and there are more in the plans. The sales office in the Fenney recreation center is temporary and that will open up more space in there when that time comes. Don't forget also that quite a large section of Southern Oaks will be a short golf cart ride to Rohan and the areas being built north of 468 east of the turnpike and south of 44 will have easy access to Eisenhower via Buena Vista. They know what they're doing down here. It's fun watching it all happen, except for the dust.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:05 AM

We are snowbirds and renting for 2 months. We’re in the Calumet area of TV, we’ve heard so much about Fenny, so we finally took a drive there at some point we’ll buy a home in TV. I don’t understand what the attraction is of living in Fenny it’s a real negative when you have to cross the Turnpike to get there, it’s almost like it’s not really part of TV. It was a 22 mile drive to get there from where we are renting. Would someone elighten me what the attraction of Fenny? I’m also under the impression that there’s a prison not too far away from Fenny?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenm52 View Post
We are snowbirds and renting for 2 months. We’re in the Calumet area of TV, we’ve heard so much about Fenney, so we finally took a drive there at some point we’ll buy a home in TV. I don’t understand what the attraction is of living in Fenney it’s a real negative when you have to cross the Turnpike to get there, it’s almost like it’s not really part of TV. It was a 22 mile drive to get there from where we are renting. Would someone elighten me what the attraction of Fenny? I’m also under the impression that there’s a prison not too far away from Fenney?
There are lots of nice people who call Fenney home for the same reason that others have decided to move here. In time, probably about three years, the area between Fenney and the existing Villages north of there will be filled in, and people will live close to Fenny and far from it, just as people live close to Calumet and far from it now. Just about everyone likes their Village a lot here. Fenny has new homes and they are in a lovely area.

Some realtors are not happy about Fenney because they aren't allowed to sell new homes. New homes can only be sold by The Villages in house agents.

I don't sell Real Estate. I am a happy Villager.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-12-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
We are snowbirds and renting for 2 months. We’re in the Calumet area of TV, we’ve heard so much about Fenny, so we finally took a drive there at some point we’ll buy a home in TV. I don’t understand what the attraction is of living in Fenny it’s a real negative when you have to cross the Turnpike to get there, it’s almost like it’s not really part of TV. It was a 22 mile drive to get there from where we are renting. Would someone elighten me what the attraction of Fenny? I’m also under the impression that there’s a prison not too far away from Fenny?
You must have missed last Fridays Daily Sun. Here is a link you might find interesting. BTW if in the future you did not live where you are renting what does the 22 miles have to do with it?
Plans for New Recreation, Golf, Shopping and Connectivity in The Villages Well Underway
Old 02-12-2018, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Not to be picky, but it's Fenney........

The Villages Florida

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

As soon as the bridges and tunnels are completed, Villages to the south of Rt 44 will “feel” more like the rest of The Villages. The Villages is the best planned retirement community in the U.S. IMHO.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
You must have missed last Fridays Daily Sun. Here is a link you might find interesting. BTW if in the future you did not live where you are renting what does the 22 miles have to do with it?
Plans for New Recreation, Golf, Shopping and Connectivity in The Villages Well Underway
Thanks so much for the link, Bogie. I've been wanting more comprehensive info on what is going on down that way. Being all in one package so to speak, this really fits the bill.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Do those who knowingly chose to buy and live in Fenney have the "disconnected"?

I would think not as it surely was a major input in their decision making.

The disconnectedness (or not) is point for discussion for many unfamiliar with the evolution of TV.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:20 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,336 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote:
Part of the attraction is the prison and it's famous residents, no worry there. By the time you come back you won't have to cross the turnpike to get here, Fenney is just about built out and there will be plenty of Villages on either side of the Turnpike, take your pick, east or west, there will be golf cart access on both sides along with Buena Vista coming down. If you rent further south next time you won't be 22 miles away, you can be as near as just 4 miles away and then you can get here in just a few minutes. There are plenty of villages to choose from and it all depends on what you want, new homes are scarce up north although there are some being built, used homes are scarce down here although there are a few owners that are already building their second homes down here and selling their first. There is something for everyone in TV and if south of 44 isn't for you, that's all well and good, somebody has to buy the re-sales up north and I'm sure there are plenty of people that will do just that. Good luck on your future decisions.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Veteran member

there is a prison,home to Whitey Bulger.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
We moved here in 2014, south of 466A in Hillsborough. People kept asking why we bought so far south. For us, it felt more open, had a different vibe and provided the type of neighborhood we were looking for. No mistake on our part, it has met all our needs and now, it seems, we may be in the middle of The Villages.....who knew? A few families that moved here when we did have sold their homes and have bought in Fenney? Why?.... different style homes, different and new amenities.....different reasons but makes their life happier. With all the upgrades, commercial growth that will show up, eventually north of 466 may not seem to belong in The Villages, might be referred to as the old section which of course will only be in the eyes of the buyer. Times are fun and exciting these days, it's great to live in TV

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-12-2018, 10:59 PM

Like you just mentioned, it almost does not feel like the Villages. That is exactly why people like it. It's away from all the craziness, but yet still the Villages.
Closed Thread

Tags
meeting, recreation, folks, southern, club

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.