space savers @ MVP

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2017, 06:46 PM
Sage
Default space savers @ MVP

We belong to MVP sports club,

It appears she has run into a territorial clique of people who like to take over certain sections of class space--this is akin to the chair savers @ the squares

I will be approaching mgt to stop this practice before something ugly arises

I don't get why people have to be joined @the hip here for every little thing they do--I thought this vanished when you graduated from high school

Last edited by Chatbrat; 11-29-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:03 PM

Now that MVP is offering free membership to UHC advantage members, the place is going to be so crowded,
Old 11-29-2017, 07:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Who is "she"?
Old 11-29-2017, 07:49 PM
Sage

she is my wife
Old 11-29-2017, 07:52 PM
Platinum member

What is with the constant need to be in “your” group?

Are we five?
Old 11-29-2017, 08:48 PM
Sage

It happens at the rec centers for their exercise classes as well. Guess folks never out-grew the need to act childish!
Old 11-29-2017, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

People find a spot they're comfortable with, and they want to stay there. It happens in church; it happens in exercise class. At the MVP weights class twice a week, timing was such that I needed to make a quick exit. So I wanted to be in the back, near the door and the weight and mat holders. I got there early to make sure I could get a spot at the back. I can't imagine someone would come in and make OP's wife move. She could just say no. I doubt management will do anything about it. IMO there's nothing wrong with wanting to stand by your friends unless your making someone else move who is already there.

I wonder how crowded this place will be after they start accepting Silver Sneakers. Maybe they will open a third one farther south.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:39 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigben007 View Post
Now that MVP is offering free membership to UHC advantage members, the place is going to be so crowded,
come back. What are you saying? MVP does not belong to Silver Sneakers. so how can they offer UHC free membership? If true this creates serious suspicion
Old 11-30-2017, 05:47 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I prefer to go to MVP in Spanish Springs.

there are a few members who seem to believe that instead of monthly membership they rent equipment by the hour because they sit on the equipment and chat for long periods of time with friends . I complained but like the ambassadors on the golf course the attendants just blink and deflate. they need signage to remind members that some people come to do a workout and not to socialize
Old 11-30-2017, 06:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I don't find this to be a problem. In every gym I have belonged, if you use the phrase "Would you mind if I work in with you?", in virtually every case will result in a sharing of the equipment. You might even make a new friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I prefer to go to MVP in Spanish Springs.

there are a few members who seem to believe that instead of monthly membership they rent equipment by the hour because they sit on the equipment and chat for long periods of time with friends . I complained but like the ambassadors on the golf course the attendants just blink and deflate. they need signage to remind members that some people come to do a workout and not to socialize
Old 11-30-2017, 06:50 AM

My husband belongs to MVP & has complained about people saving spaces for others...usually to no avail. Certain people would go in & put three or four towels on equipment for their pals and many times some of the people didn’t even show up. So childish & annoying. You don’t have to be right next to your pal to get a workout. Junior High mentality! Grow up!
Old 11-30-2017, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
come back. What are you saying? MVP does not belong to Silver Sneakers. so how can they offer UHC free membership? If true this creates serious suspicion
Some UHC Medical Advantage Plans Covers MVP Membership Fees

There's been a table set up in the lobby of the Brownwood MVP for about a month with a United Health Rep. The information I was given from them was as of January 1st Silver Slippers is no longer and is being replaced by the Optum program, which will include free membership to MVP. I was told after Jan 1st to call the number on the back of my card and ask to be placed in the Optum Program. Check out the link, it's been discussed for a few weeks.

As far as MVP, I've been going to Brownwood location since May 2014 and I never noticed space saving. What I did notice for example, I took 'Group Power' M-W-F for about 3 years and I would always set up in the same spot. Come snowbird season other people would be there, I would just go set up somewhere different, no big deal. Got to meet more people that way.

My wife takes Zumba 3 days a week and she hasn't mentioned anything about problems. What she has mentioned was the horror stories from new people who tried exercising at the Rec Centers. In many cases you had to be at the center an hour before class and get a ticket. Then come back at class time and you could be in the class. She's told me many other stories, most are far worse than anything I heard about at MVP. I guess when it's free, people feel entitled to claim some sort of senority.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:35 AM
Sage

That is why my wife went to MVP-the rec centers became too much of a hassle ,I'm a charter member @ MVP, just added her to my membership
Old 11-30-2017, 12:38 PM
Sage

My wife teaches fitness classes at the rec centers. Her classes do fill up during the snowbird season and the person at the front desk does keep count and cuts it off when her class size limit is reached. She teaches popular classes and the rooms at the rec centers are only so big. People do need to come early but it sounds like everyone is well behaved. Once snowbird season is over, her classes don't fill up to the point where anyone is turned away. There is a bit of inconvenience for her year round participants as they need to come earlier to guarantee a spot but from what I am told they take it all in stride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Some UHC Medical Advantage Plans Covers MVP Membership Fees

What she has mentioned was the horror stories from new people who tried exercising at the Rec Centers. In many cases you had to be at the center an hour before class and get a ticket. Then come back at class time and you could be in the class. She's told me many other stories, most are far worse than anything I heard about at MVP. I guess when it's free, people feel entitled to claim some sort of senority.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I don't find this to be a problem. In every gym I have belonged, if you use the phrase "Would you mind if I work in with you?", in virtually every case will result in a sharing of the equipment. You might even make a new friend.
In The Villages fitness centers, I've seen folks sitting on equipment and chatting with someone and using that equipment as a sofa in their living room. Asking them to "work in with them" is not the issue as they aren't working out......just sitting and chatting. If that piece of equipment that they have parked themselves on is the very last piece of equipment I have to use to complete my workout, I will confront them and say, "excuse me, I would like to use this equipment".

Tags
people, mvp, savers, arises, stop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.