space savers @ MVP

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2017, 06:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
My husband belongs to MVP & has complained about people saving spaces for others...usually to no avail. Certain people would go in & put three or four towels on equipment for their pals and many times some of the people didn’t even show up. So childish & annoying. You don’t have to be right next to your pal to get a workout. Junior High mentality! Grow up!
I have never seen towels sitting on equipment in The Villages fitness centers. I would not tolerate that.....AT ALL. I would get the people who work there to remove the towel. If they refuse to do that, I would remove the towel so fast your head would spin. I would never put up with that. Never.

BTW....I'm the one who removed the ropes that were used to save a row of seats in LSL. Yup...that was me!
Old 12-02-2017, 07:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I have never seen towels sitting on equipment in The Villages fitness centers. I would not tolerate that.....AT ALL. I would get the people who work there to remove the towel. If they refuse to do that, I would remove the towel so fast your head would spin. I would never put up with that. Never.

BTW....I'm the one who removed the ropes that were used to save a row of seats in LSL. Yup...that was me!
I'm with you. I don't tolerate leaving towels on equipment to save it. I will ask an attendant to take care of it, and if they prefer to let it go, I'll move the towel myself and use the equipment. While I recognize that this could be considered confrontational, I have no problem at all as I will not let some self entitled, selfish person act as if they own the equipment. Usually the "bully" will leave, albeit with some griping, but I let it go as I have more important things to use my time on....

As to people wanting to use certain area (be it in an exercise room or pool for instance) for their workout, If the exact spot is so critical to one's enjoyment, then get there before anyone else and sit in/stand in your spot. BTW, don't ask someone to hold the spot or leave a towel to hold it either (I do accommodate to a point if I am told the person in the spot is in the bathroom) Should someone want to use the specific spot I am in, they can have it....when I am done.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:37 AM

Ha ha - bet they were surprised.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
My husband belongs to MVP & has complained about people saving spaces for others...usually to no avail. Certain people would go in & put three or four towels on equipment for their pals and many times some of the people didn’t even show up. So childish & annoying. You don’t have to be right next to your pal to get a workout. Junior High mentality! Grow up!
I spend 5 days a week for almost the last 4 years at MVP, so I know the place pretty well. Where are you going in, into a room? The only room that has equipment is Room #1 the spinning room. In there, you're correct, people will go in and place a towel on one of the bikes before class starts. First time I took spinning at Brownwood they were putting towels on bikes and that was almost 4 years ago. You got a room full of bikes, some like it in the back, some in the front. I see no big deal in selecting one of 35 bikes ahead of times, they'e all the same. The phrase, you snooze, you lose comes to mind.

Room 2 is a big empty room, there is no equipment to put a towel on. If you are doing Group Power or Group Active, pictured below, the equipment is stored on the side of the room and the user must set up their own bench and weights. How would someone go in and place a towel on nothing?

The Villages Florida

Room 3 is used for Yoga, Pilates and dance type exercises such as Zumba. The only equipment for any of these would be a floor mat, maybe some blocks or a ball, and once again the user must go in and place the mat or equipment on the floor. How would you go in and place a towel on nothing?

The main exercise machines are in the main room, pictured below. I can tell you that the treadmills, bikes and all the other equipment is usually in constant use, no one putting a towel on something and walking away. If that happens, the towel would get moved, I've done that myself a few times on the treadmills. It's usually someone walks off and forgot their towel, no big deal.

The Villages Florida
Old 12-02-2017, 02:14 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I don't find this to be a problem. In every gym I have belonged, if you use the phrase "Would you mind if I work in with you?", in virtually every case will result in a sharing of the equipment. You might even make a new friend.
understand and appreciate your response but why would someone even have to be placed in that position. I do my work out and leave. if i do stop to speak to someone it is never in a work area
Old 12-02-2017, 03:12 PM
Sage

People place towels on the floor to reserve spaces for their joined @ the hip buds--that is how its done !!!
Old 12-02-2017, 04:19 PM
Gold member

I was literally crowded out of a space on the floor during an exercise class. I’d arrived early to be where I could observe the instructor. Another person arrived and placed a water bottle at my feet. Discerning I’d somehow created an issue, and attempting to diffuse it, i smiled saying “good morning , I’m severely sight impaired and came early so as to be able to see the instructor”. The person said nothing, but when the class began she consistently stepped directly into me effectively using her elbows to push and shove. I left. I prefer to enjoy what years on earth I have left, in peace
Old 12-02-2017, 05:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post

I would do the same thing @ the gym.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
I was literally crowded out of a space on the floor during an exercise class. I’d arrived early to be where I could observe the instructor. Another person arrived and placed a water bottle at my feet. Discerning I’d somehow created an issue, and attempting to diffuse it, i smiled saying “good morning , I’m severely sight impaired and came early so as to be able to see the instructor”. The person said nothing, but when the class began she consistently stepped directly into me effectively using her elbows to push and shove. I left. I prefer to enjoy what years on earth I have left, in peace
Oh my goodness. How rude. I don't understand how an adult could act that way. I'm actually dumbfounded!

Tags
people, mvp, savers, arises, stop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.